That HIFX popup

Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default That HIFX popup

Is anyone else having loads of HIFX pop ups everytime they browse this site?

This thing

After being here for 5 minutes I have about 12 of the windows open.

I've got Zone Alarm running to block popups and even upped the settings to block all javascript and activex controls, still didn't solve it. Ran ad-aware and spyware to clean the machine, still didn't solve it. I realy don't want to install google or yahoo toolbars just to see if they will stop it, as they are even worse than the problem.

And I've got a very smug Mrs JTL sitting beside me, cos she doesn't get it on her laptop, even though the machines are configd the same

Any ideas?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: That HIFX popup

I use Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer and don't get any pop ups.

Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I use Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer and don't get any pop ups.
I have Mozilla, and Opera on the machine, and don't get the popups using either of them. But still..... some websites only work with IE, and to save me using different browsers all the time.....

And also, HIFX might want to re-design the link so it only launches once. No-one is going to be impressed with a company using mulitple popup techniques to get attention.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:41 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I use Mozilla Firefox, which blocks these things by default - they just don't happen.

With this, AVG and Adaware I seem to be free of most things (famous last ....)
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:12 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

I use Crazy Browser. It has a built in popup filter.

I also find it much better than Explorer cos you can have as many website tabs open as you like, and flick between them. None of this, 'hitting the back button', business.

Cheers.... John...
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
And also, HIFX might want to re-design the link so it only launches once. No-one is going to be impressed with a company using mulitple popup techniques to get attention.

Cheers,
JTL
Well said, have had enough of HIFX now
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can I rephrase the question...

Does anyone know how to stop the HIFX popup in Internet Explorer?

(Its not that I like IE or anything, but certain banking websites require IE. If we were going to have a debate about favourite browsers, mine would be Opera ,by the way)

I've just run Ad-aware again and its found another 30 ad cookies and progs on the machine. This was after running it last night.

I've also got Stopzilla (trial version)running, showing me that its a website called www.utarget.co.uk that is trying to launch the hifx web page all the time.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:54 am
Just Joined

sasky is an unknown quantity at this point

JTL,

With adaware check that you have the latest updates. I also use spybot search and destroy. If that does not remove the problem then I use Trendmicros housecall at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

All are free.

Peter.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Smudgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JTL

I have SP2 & google toolbar installed so I have 2 pop up stoppers this seems to prevent 98% of them

Cheers

Smudgo
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:35 am
ABCDiamond

(Its not that I like IE or anything, but certain banking websites require IE. If we were going to have a debate about favourite browsers, mine would be Opera ,by the way)
Can't help with IE sorry, It drove me cray, and I had to change to Mozilla, but I was able to set it to handle a few banksites, that were being stopped by default.

Which banks did you have Mozilla problems with ?

Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:28 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Is anyone else having loads of HIFX pop ups everytime they browse this site?

This thing

After being here for 5 minutes I have about 12 of the windows open.

I've got Zone Alarm running to block popups and even upped the settings to block all javascript and activex controls, still didn't solve it. Ran ad-aware and spyware to clean the machine, still didn't solve it. I realy don't want to install google or yahoo toolbars just to see if they will stop it, as they are even worse than the problem.

And I've got a very smug Mrs JTL sitting beside me, cos she doesn't get it on her laptop, even though the machines are configd the same

Any ideas?

Cheers,
JTL
Having major problems with pop ups on here, already have pop up stopper, zonealarm, adware, spybot and now spyware blaster
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudgo
Hi JTL

I have SP2 & google toolbar installed so I have 2 pop up stoppers this seems to prevent 98% of them

Cheers

Smudgo
I have service pack 2 installed as well, it has a popup blocker - no popups anymore! Before it was horrendous how many popups I used to get :scared:

(puter runs XP)
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:43 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

G'day JTL,

Have you tried Pop-Up Stopper from Panicware? http://www.panicware.com/product_downloads.html There is a professional version which purportedly works with all browsers, but there's also a free edition which works with IE.

Cheers,
PR
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Can't help with IE sorry, It drove me cray, and I had to change to Mozilla, but I was able to set it to handle a few banksites, that were being stopped by default.

Which banks did you have Mozilla problems with ?
HBOS and Citibank. Even Opera, which can pretend to be IE doesn't work with them,

Cheers,
JTL

Oh, by the way, decided I was being stupid, and have reverted to Opera for everything but using bank sites
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:47 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Definately use the Google search bar - works a treat, although i think you have to have a certain version of I.E though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.