Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hiding dodgy bits when selling your house...

Hiding dodgy bits when selling your house...

Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Hiding dodgy bits when selling your house...

I just wondered if anyone knows the legalities here.

We have had an offer accepted on a house. When we went for a look it wasnt all that clean and there was a socket hanging off in the living room, one window propped closed with a bit of wood, various holes in walls around the place.

They had a home open yesterday so we popped in - the place was spotless, the wood had gone and all the furniture had been re-arranged to cover the holes.

Is it up to the buyer to check for these things? Or legally should the seller point them out, or at least leave them visible?

I was worried out a big carpet pluck in one of our bedrooms, thought of covering it with a rug but then thought I should leave it visible as we might get done for it - but having seen this house yesterday and all the really big problems that had been covered up not sure I need to worry.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:25 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiding dodgy bits when selling your house...

Originally Posted by bridie

We have had an offer accepted on a house. When we went for a look it wasnt all that clean and there was a socket hanging off in the living room, one window propped closed with a bit of wood, various holes in walls around the place.

They had a home open yesterday so we popped in - the place was spotless, the wood had gone and all the furniture had been re-arranged to cover the holes.

Is it up to the buyer to check for these things? Or legally should the seller point them out, or at least leave them visible?

I was worried out a big carpet pluck in one of our bedrooms, thought of covering it with a rug but then thought I should leave it visible as we might get done for it - but having seen this house yesterday and all the really big problems that had been covered up not sure I need to worry.

BUYER BEWARE!
You won't get done for a bit of tidying up and "creative decor".

You CAN get sued for damages if, when asked, you knowingly lie about whether the house has been flooded, got dodgy neighbours, clapped out drains, knackered boiler etc. If you lie, buyer buys, then finds a defect and can show you lied then you can be held liable for any loss experienced by the buyer. And these questions DO get asked by the buyer's solicitor. There's like a big long "standard list" when you are moving towards exchange. Usual guff like flooding, asbestos, boiler, roof, infestation etc etc.

We all doll places up and put rugs over threadbare carpet in order to help the buyer like what he sees. What Im talking about above comes much later like when an offer is in, accepted, surveys paid for and all that. And so what - if the survey spots it and you fess up to a knackered carpet, knock a 300 quid off the agreed price. Whats 300 quid these days when the average house is £200K+?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:32 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

You get to do a final inspection, prior to purchase, and can make a list of, I want this done before... clauses
Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
You get to do a final inspection, prior to purchase, and can make a list of, I want this done before... clauses
Yes, we put a clause in about a broken window pane in one of the bedrooms. The other stuff doesnt bother us, as OH said at least we've seen it the way it really is, I was a bit gutted as there were quite a few people wandering round who probably thought what a lovely place it was... not a fair playing field so to speak. Yes, I am probably worrying for nothing, real estate agent said I had nothing to worry about but then he would say that - I think he's still under the illusion we will sell ours no matter what even though we've stated several times now that unless we can purchase this specific property then there will be no sale of ours.

Is the agent under obligation to tell people it's under offer if they ask?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:08 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we put a clause in about a broken window pane in one of the bedrooms. The other stuff doesnt bother us, as OH said at least we've seen it the way it really is, I was a bit gutted as there were quite a few people wandering round who probably thought what a lovely place it was... not a fair playing field so to speak. Yes, I am probably worrying for nothing, real estate agent said I had nothing to worry about but then he would say that - I think he's still under the illusion we will sell ours no matter what even though we've stated several times now that unless we can purchase this specific property then there will be no sale of ours.

Is the agent under obligation to tell people it's under offer if they ask?
He can say that there has been an offer, but he cannot divulge who and what that offer is.

Some dodgy agents, will say, .. its in the 7's for example !! Which is against policy and they can be fined heavily.

There has to be buyer seller, confidentiallity and he is in a position of mutual trust and sensitive info
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Wish I'd have thought to send some friends round to pretend to be interested and see what he said..... didnt think of it til now!!!!!

Ah well, fingers crossed, what will be will be I guess and not much point worrying about it. Just a bit miffed I guess as most home opens we've seen happening have absolutely no-one turn up!!!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:29 am
Banned

If its any consolation, a well documented case in the uk, ( search Google ) of a couple who bought a home:

1 year after buying the house, they sat there watchin tv, and a documentary was on about mass murdes.. and dismembered body parts.. turned out as they watched, it was THEIR house !!!

They immediately got onto the agent, and solicitor, and proceded court predeedings against everyone, including the seller, who was fully aware of the houses dim and evil past...

The court found in favour of the SELLER !

On the basis that, it is the purchasers obligation to ask the question, and then the obligation of the seller to oblige with an honest answer.

So if in doubt always ask if someones dismembered body part is hidden in the walls of a home you are viewing !!!

Stupid but true
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:08 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

If its any consolation, a well documented case in the uk, ( search Google ) of a couple who bought a home:

1 year after buying the house, they sat there watchin tv, and a documentary was on about mass murdes.. and dismembered body parts.. turned out as they watched, it was THEIR house !!!

They immediately got onto the agent, and solicitor, and proceded court predeedings against everyone, including the seller, who was fully aware of the houses dim and evil past...

On the basis that, it is the purchasers obligation to ask the question, and then the obligation of the seller to oblige with an honest answer.

So if in doubt always ask if someones dismembered body part is hidden in the walls of a home you are viewing !!!

Stupid but true

There was something similar in Sydney I think and the agent knew but did not tell the buyers. They found out and sued and won big time.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:55 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Wish I'd have thought to send some friends round to pretend to be interested and see what he said..... didnt think of it til now!!!!!

Ah well, fingers crossed, what will be will be I guess and not much point worrying about it. Just a bit miffed I guess as most home opens we've seen happening have absolutely no-one turn up!!!
Must admit its been quite dead on house viewers, had another home open today though and got 4 potentials in which is really good, all seemed to be happy with our place and all gave good feedback, very positive day really, hope somebody comes back.
Jenny
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jensteve
Must admit its been quite dead on house viewers, had another home open today though and got 4 potentials in which is really good, all seemed to be happy with our place and all gave good feedback, very positive day really, hope somebody comes back.
Jenny
Good luck

We've had a few people doing the slow drive past over the weekend (helped that there was a home open at the end of the street) so fingers crossed here too
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:17 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid but true
Well...I must admit, I'd be very surprised if a court found in favour of the buyers. No law was broken.

Seems like the only law that was broken, was the imaginary "ooohhh, they-should-have-told-the-buyers-about-the-houses-evil-past" law.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by markallwood
Well...I must admit, I'd be very surprised if a court found in favour of the buyers. No law was broken.

Seems like the only law that was broken, was the imaginary "ooohhh, they-should-have-told-the-buyers-about-the-houses-evil-past" law.
Well I would have thought it extremely pertinent, to mention, the house had been the scene of some gruesome murders, in its very recent past.

Bearing in mind, you buy usually on face value, and with good will.

To not mention it, I feel is wrong.

Lets say you come to sell a car you had recently purchased, and it became evident, that the car had indeed had an extremely dodgy history, that THEN proved it difficult for you to onsell..

Id be pissed as !
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We have just sold our house and one of the questions was has anyone that we know of died in the house or neighbours houses. Has there been any violence at the house etc.

Personally it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if someone died in my house, but hubbie always asks if we look at a house if it is haunted lol.