British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   hidden cost of building a house? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hidden-cost-building-house-409055/)

StellaDave Nov 19th 2006 6:41 pm

hidden cost of building a house?

hi peeps,

a lot of you guys'n'gals have built your own houses and from what I've seen they all look fantastic, we're looking to build our house in WA using a company, but since the furthest I've got is looking at the cost of new houses from brochures etc. I have a question regarding costs I hope you folks don't mind helping me out with, I've contacted several builders but none have replied to my emails :confused:. Regarding costs, there is a total cost in the brochures but this excludes the price of the land, so what other costs are associated with building your own house if any? Does the house builder do your gardens? Can you barter the price a little, can you get multiple house builders competing for your business? Do they offer any freebies or special deals? I realise it could depend on house builder but in general can anyone help?

thanks for your help
Dave

jad n rich Nov 19th 2006 6:54 pm

Re: hidden cost of building a house?

Originally Posted by Daveh777
hi peeps,

a lot of you guys'n'gals have built your own houses and from what I've seen they all look fantastic, we're looking to build our house in WA using a company, but since the furthest I've got is looking at the cost of new houses from brochures etc. I have a question regarding costs I hope you folks don't mind helping me out with, I've contacted several builders but none have replied to my emails :confused:. Regarding costs, there is a total cost in the brochures but this excludes the price of the land, so what other costs are associated with building your own house if any? Does the house builder do your gardens? Can you barter the price a little, can you get multiple house builders competing for your business? Do they offer any freebies or special deals? I realise it could depend on house builder but in general can anyone help?

thanks for your help
Dave

In general the price in the brochure is get you in the door price, then you add on to a realistic price, including things such as the engineering for the house once its sited on your land according to the geostructural report, could be an extra 5 grand could be 50 grand. Most display homes are the upgraded package from the brochure price, skys the limit, one display home round here is $110,000 over the brochure price :rolleyes: Plus your amendments and changes all add to it, plus any extras you want. Nothing like gardens, drives, carpets flyscreens are included all thats your own responsiblity, you can add it on to the contract price but many will mark it up.

StellaDave Nov 19th 2006 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In general the price in the brochure is get you in the door price, then you add on to a realistic price, including things such as the engineering for the house once its sited on your land according to the geostructural report, could be an extra 5 grand could be 50 grand. Most display homes are the upgraded package from the brochure price, skys the limit, one display home round here is $110,000 over the brochure price :rolleyes: Plus your amendments and changes all add to it, plus any extras you want. Nothing like gardens, drives, carpets flyscreens are included all thats your own responsiblity, you can add it on to the contract price but many will mark it up.

Thanks.
Jeez! a $110,000 over the brochure price :eek: , some of those show house are lovely though, now I see why. How much is it in general to have you garden done, driveway monoblocked, fly screens etc?

Dave

jad n rich Nov 19th 2006 7:10 pm

Thanks.
Jeez! a $110,000 over the brochure price :eek: , some of those show house are lovely though, now I see why. How much is it in general to have you garden done, driveway monoblocked, fly screens etc?

Dave

Most display homes would tell you to allow 30 grand. But its really how longs a piece of string, weve had a house with a 10 M driveway this ones 100 M driveway, that sort of thng its like a pool one could be 20 one could be 90. Really depends what you want.

StellaDave Nov 19th 2006 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Most display homes would tell you to allow 30 grand. But its really how longs a piece of string, weve had a house with a 10 M driveway this ones 100 M driveway, that sort of thng its like a pool one could be 20 one could be 90. Really depends what you want.

fair enough. Anyone with experience able to tell me what you got with your money, I don't want to offend anyone or seem to be just nosey. We don't have that much money and the cost of buying an older home in Perth right now is too expensive, but we need to know if we're being realistic enough to even afford a new built house. :rolleyes:

Centurion Nov 19th 2006 7:28 pm

fair enough. Anyone with experience able to tell me what you got with your money, I don't want to offend anyone or seem to be just nosey. We don't have that much money and the cost of buying an older home in Perth right now is too expensive, but we need to know if we're being realistic enough to even afford a new built house. :rolleyes:

We spent $40,000 on top of the contract price with standard inclusions for the house. Mainly on upgrades of sinks, bathroom, tiles, electrics, colorbond fencing and a front wall and gate, driveway and landscaping, crimsafe screens etc.

To be honest I'm not sure if building is the cheaper option at the moment compared to buying a well priced used property.

Having said that we would do it again and enjoyed the process but only because we had a small builder who allowed us to change specs and gave us copies of the trade invoices for upgrades etc and didnt try to rip us off. We were going with a large building company but could see the mark up being made on upgrades would send the cost through the roof.

sassie Nov 19th 2006 7:36 pm

Hi there. we built in Qld so WA maybe a little different, but here is our experience. Display house we chose had 2 prices, "basic" and "as displayed". Basic was I think from memory about $154,000, but did not include things like carpets, driveways, etc. "as displayed" was $201,000 which we went for as we could see exactly what we were getting for the money, including driveway. On top of that, we chose to upgrade the kitchen, i.e. granite worktops and glass splashback, which cost an extra $2,500. we also chose to supply our own fixtures and fittings as the ones the builder supplied were rubbish, i.e. all tap and shower fittings and also an undermount sink in the kitchen, which cost extra to install. we chose to include about 3 times more power sockets than they were going to supply (they never provide enough).
We also had to supply all our own light and fan fittings. All this extra stuff cost another $11,000. so our final contract price
was about $212000, and for that, we got exactly what we wanted. Our house is an identical replica of the display house which meant there were no extra construction costs.

All the fencing and landscaping was our responsbiility. We have just spent about $8,000 in fencing, plus $4,000 for glass pool fencing. Landscaping so far, I estimate to be approximately 3 grand so far.

Hope this has given you an idea.

Gina

StellaDave Nov 19th 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks Gina, thanks Centurion, exactly what I was looking for :) Anyone else?

Gina why do you think building might no be as cheap as buying? R u thinking of the price of land?

karmagirls Nov 19th 2006 8:17 pm

Hiya,
We're in the process of building a house in Queensland at the moment and I'm glad to say that we've got a great builder and we've got a happy list of inclusions that works for us. Our house price was $188,000 and we bought the land separately. The only extra we added in was air con. Our inclusions do indeed include the driveway, the landscaping (front and back) fencing and gates, tiling, carpets, blinds, flyscreens etc. I think it is really builder dependent and you just have to look around for what you want. We may add some extra things in but to be honest we're happy with the look of the things we're getting as the inclusions.
The only extra costs we incurred were solicitors fees for the land purchase and stamp duty fees. You should get the first homeowners allowance though when your house completes and this is more than enough to cover fees. You are also entitled to get a percentage of your stamp duty back within 12 months I think.
Hope that helps and good luck with your house searching.
Take care
Tracy and Angela

gjs Nov 19th 2006 9:00 pm

[We are building in SA with Rossdale homes,signed the contract yesterday.
Our house has a basic price of $129k,this is for a four bed with 2 baths,family room and sep lounge.
Our build has come in at $222,extras include things like air conditioning,floor coverings,driveway and perimeter path,rendering etc.As soon as I can find our quote will post it online so you can see it broken down!!
Don't forget GST as well,also the rent you will have to pay at the same time as any mortgage you have on the land and build.

StellaDave Nov 19th 2006 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by gjs
[We are building in SA with Rossdale homes,signed the contract yesterday.
Our house has a basic price of $129k,this is for a four bed with 2 baths,family room and sep lounge.
Our build has come in at $222,extras include things like air conditioning,floor coverings,driveway and perimeter path,rendering etc.As soon as I can find our quote will post it online so you can see it broken down!!
Don't forget GST as well,also the rent you will have to pay at the same time as any mortgage you have on the land and build.

I'd love to see the quote, thanks gjs.

StellaDave Nov 19th 2006 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Hiya,
We're in the process of building a house in Queensland at the moment and I'm glad to say that we've got a great builder and we've got a happy list of inclusions that works for us. Our house price was $188,000 and we bought the land separately. The only extra we added in was air con. Our inclusions do indeed include the driveway, the landscaping (front and back) fencing and gates, tiling, carpets, blinds, flyscreens etc. I think it is really builder dependent and you just have to look around for what you want. We may add some extra things in but to be honest we're happy with the look of the things we're getting as the inclusions.
The only extra costs we incurred were solicitors fees for the land purchase and stamp duty fees. You should get the first homeowners allowance though when your house completes and this is more than enough to cover fees. You are also entitled to get a percentage of your stamp duty back within 12 months I think.
Hope that helps and good luck with your house searching.
Take care
Tracy and Angela

Hi Tracey, Angela,

thanks for the input. I hope everything goes well with your build. I see you added air con as an extra, not much need for that in QLD :rolleyes: :D

Wol Nov 20th 2006 1:27 am

We have a small builder who accommodates us well. There are a lot of PC items in the contract but so far we are on budget.

Unexpected costs so far have been the $3500 the council charged for approving the build and around $80k for the foundations - not including the floor itself (Only unexpected in so far as the actual amount involved!)

gjs Nov 20th 2006 1:35 am

I'd love to see the quote, thanks gjs.

Base price inc garage $130,250
Adjustments
structural changes$4,226.00
ceiling raised to 2.7m
lounge room squared off
roller door on rear of garage

Council/Zone Requirements $2,650.00
Rainwater tank
tank connection,overflow connection to stormwater,concrete slab for base of rainwater

Services $2,120.00
Install Telstra conduit in underground electrical trench and wire phone points to house
sewer adjustmnt to allow flexible couplings for reactive soil nd lagging to wastes

Stormwater $5,530

Siteworks $34,631.00 :scared:
Excavation and filing of site
footings
Trench inspection#Concrete upstand to footing on Boundary
SL82 mesh to slab
removal of excess soil from site cut

External Finishes $7,104.00
front elevation,rendered and painted
Moulding to front elevation
Coloured mortar
"xremote controled roller doors to front of garage
termi mesh termite barrier to perimeter of house

Cabinetmaking $3,608.00
Extra cupboards in kitchen,open shelving above fridge
2x sliding door BIRs
Bulkheads above kitchen cupboards

Appliances $10,420
gas heating system
Ducted Evaporative air con system
Oven,hot plate and extractor fan,as have upgraded these(basic models
included in base price)

Internal finishes $789
double doors to lounge

Floor coverings $11,151 (includes fitting)
Tiling to entry,dining,meals,family kitchen and rear passage.
Carpet to 4 beds and lounge

Landscaping $9,630.00
pavers to drive and perimeter of house

Pretty scary stuff!
We will also have to pay for all the little extras like fencing,post box,TV arial,garden landscaping,washing line,window treatments,patio,pergola....and another 10 months rent until it is built!Hope this helps!!

thebears Nov 20th 2006 6:55 am

hi peeps,

thanks for your help
Dave

We checked out a show home over the weekend and the extras to ensure you get exactly the same as the show house was $154K over the brochure price.