Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hicks: British Citizenship has more clout?

Hicks: British Citizenship has more clout?

Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:27 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hicks: British Citizenship has more clout?

Originally Posted by fugly
bein a bit presumptious here m8. i reckon people do understand.they just dont agree.

wot most of us are sayin is that if someone is taken prisoner then they are taken prisoner under certain rules and regs.

To use ur logic, what about the taliban in there too? why should they be treated differnt than this guy jyst because he's Aus or UK citizen?

the thing is, all of them, talibans and this guy, they were all captured fightin our own people so they have been slammed up and delt with until found innocent or guilty.

Mebbe the argument should be if USA are dealin with it quick enough?

this is a stonger argument rather than this guy should find a loop hole to get out of the shite he got imself into in the first place. and on UK tax payers money

As unpopular as this may be, but the Taliban were protecting their country from an invading army... whether or not you like the Taliban and what they stood for, Afghanistan was invaded...

Therefore people who fit back are Prisoners of War and should be treated as such..
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:29 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sloake
And if these people are innocent?

if they are so guilty why not try them in a real court instead of a kangeroo court.. were they are bound to be found guilty... so Bush an justify breaking all international laws?
re: court : The article explains that.(especially around international courts) And I , for one ,agree with it.
If he is innocent then he has no worries just sit his time out. Like the article says a military commision will be dealing with him sooner rather than later.
"If" he was trying to use his "training" to kill soldiers then he should face military and not civilian courts. And surely you have seen "a few good men" all he needs is a Tom Cruise style lawyer and all will be dandy.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:32 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
And surely you have seen "a few good men" all he needs is a Tom Cruise style lawyer and all will be dandy.
and this is real life... real people are involved...

even Hick's lawyer.. a military man.. has said Hicks will not get a fair trial, hence his idea of getting him a UK citzenship...
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
How do you know they are not guilty?.

I've been doing a bit of research on this terrorist pr*ck Hicks:
He fought in Kosovo with the mussies there,
He fought in Kashmir,
He joined the taliban in Afghanistan in 2001,
He received al-Qaeda training there,
He fired on US forces.

I reckon he's lucky that he will not face the death penalty. They should fry his miserable ass, but it's not going to happen. I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.
What terrorist acts did he commit? Firing on US forces in a war zone such as Afghanistan means he should be held as a POW and treated under the Geneva Convention. If Hicks committed war crimes or committed terrorist acts then he should be tried. If the US is to hold any moral authority to show as an example to other regimes (eg China) then the US must abide by the rules of international law it expects the rest of the world to abide by. Does the past US funding of the Mujahadein (for whom Osama Bin Ladin fought) in Afghanistan make the US a supporter of terror?

The contradictions and hypocrisy of Guantanamo justice provides the justification regimes in China, Uzbekistan, Iran, Syria etc need to carry on abusing rights and quelling dissent under the disguise of the war on terror.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

fugly is an unknown quantity at this point

As unpopular as this may be, but the Taliban were protecting their country from an invading army... whether or not you like the Taliban and what they stood for, Afghanistan was invaded...

Therefore people who fit back are Prisoners of War and should be treated as such..
yep I agree m8. taliban were protectin their country and i have no probs with that. this guy Hicks decides to help the taliban, have no prob with that either. the prob is, when he gets caught he then expects either the Aussies or UK to defend him..when he was fightin against them

and to make matters more stupid, he might just get help from the uk [and the tax payer] to defend himself. bloody bonkers

let them all be delt with by usa, Hicks and his mates.

let USA law sort em out and see if they are innocent or guilty.

they werent playin marbles when they were caught thats 4 sure
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:38 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

and this is real life... real people are involved...

even Hick's lawyer.. a military man.. has said Hicks will not get a fair trial, hence his idea of getting him a UK citzenship...
Exactly real people. you need to see when someone has their tough in da' cheek. This chump has been in a few places spreading "his" and his types war not just one place. UK is trying to get rid of people like this at the moment not take them in. I reckon leave him where he is. If , and its unlikely he was a chef , in the countries he was in - he killed (or involved in such)people, am sure the relatives of these real people would feel justice is being done for "them".

This guy has been in a lot of wrong places at the wrong time - hasnt he? Maybe he just has a bad tourist adviser?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

This guy has been in a lot of wrong places at the wrong time - hasnt he? Maybe he just has a bad tourist adviser?
maybe he thought he was in uk
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:45 am
chilled member

This chump has been in a few places spreading "his" and his types war not just one place. UK is trying to get rid of people like this at the moment not take them in.
he's not one of us.. thank god for that.. makes it so much easier to make sure he doesnt a fair trial...

no one is say whether he is guilty or not.. as personally I dont know.. I wasnt there.. and I am presuming you werent either..

The issue is whether he will get a fair trial, if Mr Blair has enough back bone to stand up to Mr Bush, and demand a fair trial for British citizens, its a shame Mr Howard doesnt have enough guts to demand the same for Aussie citizens.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

he's not one of us.. thank god for that.. makes it so much easier to make sure he doesnt a fair trial...

no one is say whether he is guilty or not.. as personally I dont know.. I wasnt there.. and I am presuming you werent either..

The issue is whether he will get a fair trial, if Mr Blair has enough back bone to stand up to Mr Bush, and demand a fair trial for British citizens, its a shame Mr Howard doesnt have enough guts to demand the same for Aussie citizens.
prob is that whenever someone is tried outside our own country system, we can never be sure.

tough luck. People like Hicks should remember this when they go supportin these countries.

one thing 4 sure. i bet his parents are glad hes bein tried by usa and not the taliban even if it is slow.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

bein a bit presumptious here m8. i reckon people do understand.they just dont agree.

**nobody has said that they should be tried in an unfair court... they just assume they are guilty and should be punished without a trial.

wot most of us are sayin is that if someone is taken prisoner then they are taken prisoner under certain rules and regs.

**thats the issue... the rules are being made up. For example they were not classified as prisoners as per Geneva convention.

To use ur logic, what about the taliban in there too? why should they be treated differnt than this guy jyst because he's Aus or UK citizen?

**I do not think they should be treated differently

the thing is, all of them, talibans and this guy, they were all captured fightin our own people so they have been slammed up and delt with until found innocent or guilty.

**agreed, but with a fair trial to boot

Mebbe the argument should be if USA are dealin with it quick enough?

**good point....this is another issue

this is a stonger argument rather than this guy should find a loop hole to get out of the shite he got imself into in the first place. and on UK tax payers money

**I am an Australian citizen and a British citizen. I will take advantage of duel citizenship if it allows me to escape an unfair trial. Good on im.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

re: court : The article explains that.(especially around international courts) And I , for one ,agree with it.
If he is innocent then he has no worries just sit his time out. Like the article says a military commision will be dealing with him sooner rather than later.
"If" he was trying to use his "training" to kill soldiers then he should face military and not civilian courts. And surely you have seen "a few good men" all he needs is a Tom Cruise style lawyer and all will be dandy.
Military law is only applicable if you do something whilst actually being a prisoner. What you did before is governed by the the Geneva convention. That is why they will not allow them to be classed as prisoners of war
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:56 am
chilled member

[QUOTE=fugly]prob is that whenever someone is tried outside our own country system, we can never be sure.

tough luck.QUOTE]

Ah.. so you werent in the free corby group either then?

so if your arrested outside Australia.. its your own fault, dont even think about expecting a fair trial, or your goverment trying to ensure its citizens are treated humanily..

god I hope nothing ever happens to you overseas.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
Military law is only applicable if you do something whilst actually being a prisoner. What you did before is governed by the the Geneva convention. That is why they will not allow them to be classed as prisoners of war
getting carried away... this is an assumption
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:01 am
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
getting carried away... this is an assumption
No I hear you. Not matter what there is no answer I reckon. Both sides have an argument.

For me it just stinks of someone trying to use the system. Thats why I got abit heated.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=sloake]
prob is that whenever someone is tried outside our own country system, we can never be sure.

tough luck.QUOTE]

Ah.. so you werent in the free corby group either then?

so if your arrested outside Australia.. its your own fault, dont even think about expecting a fair trial, or your goverment trying to ensure its citizens are treated humanily..

god I hope nothing ever happens to you overseas.
nope. not wot im sayin m8

what im sayin is, if you go to war on the oposite side and get caught, then you have to expect that country will want to take you to trial. end of

of course i expect your own country to tell you your rights and make sure these are followed.

i dont expect you to cry "unfair" nd then try find loopholes to get out of the shit whilst everyone else goes through the justice system.

this is not a run of the mill case. this guy was caught fightin against uk/usa

he has to expect to face the consequences, under the law of the land he was fightin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.