Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi YA!!!!!!!!! Newbie heading for Melbourne!

Hi YA!!!!!!!!! Newbie heading for Melbourne!

Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi YA!!!!!!!!! Newbie heading for Melbourne!

Hi Guys,

Well we are at the start of the Visa 136 Application and just sorting the TRA out! Ouch! Our names are S-j and Si and we have 4 kids, daughter at 9 3/4, 3 sons 2 1/2 and 13mths(twins)..

Really excited as just sold house and had ok back from Court to remove eldest from Jurisdiction. YEAH!!!!

Just done all legwork for TRA and Visa 136! OMG! Well get the gist just hope I can do it..

Anyone else flying solo with application? Anyone going in as General Electrician? Do you put Supervisor stuff on bottom of form whilst describing duties etc??? Really dont want to spend cash on agent if not necessary......????

If I give in and opt for an agent any good ones around that arn't too expensive?

Also, can anyone confirm how much 136 visa is? I got about 2500 with checks and stuff..

Also anyone gone to Melbourne who can advise on shipping and cost and reliable firms? Want to live on Mornington Penninsula....

Finally, we live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. I'm 32 and hubs is 28 and would love to chat with others in similar situation, poss newbie mates for our futures in Oz.................. Look forward to your replies.

Take care, S-j x :scared:
Old Jan 9th 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi YA!!!!!!!!! Newbie heading for Melbourne!

Hi Ya
I'm from Melbourne and my husband is Irish and we are planning on moving back to Melbourne, although we haven't put in our (spouse) visa app yet. My hubby is a tradesman aswell - a plumber - and we are still a bit concerned on the work front.
The Mornington Pen is lovely - have you been before? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there bad bushfires a bit further inland from there recently? Not trying to scare you! The states used to them!!
We have a little baby too - daughter 9 months - so it'll be fun trying to move with her!
Don't know quite where we'd live - probably eastern suburbs, towards the Dandenong Ranges - that's where I'm from. Wherever we can afford!
Anyhow, nice to meet you - let us know how you get on!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

hi there!

OMG! Bushfires!! I'll be checking that one out! We still arn't 100% yet on Melbourne.... Syds calling me.... Weather not as unpredictable?!?

Thats what everyones saying anyway.... Whats the area like where you're from? schools and stuff?

S-j x
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:57 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=s-jmelbournewannabe;4252716]Hi Guys,

Well we are at the start of the Visa 136 Application and just sorting the TRA out! Ouch! Our names are S-j and Si and we have 4 kids, daughter at 9 3/4, 3 sons 2 1/2 and 13mths(twins)..

Really excited as just sold house and had ok back from Court to remove eldest from Jurisdiction. YEAH!!!!

Just done all legwork for TRA and Visa 136! OMG! Well get the gist just hope I can do it..

Anyone else flying solo with application? Anyone going in as General Electrician? Do you put Supervisor stuff on bottom of form whilst describing duties etc??? Really dont want to spend cash on agent if not necessary......????

If I give in and opt for an agent any good ones around that arn't too expensive?

Also, can anyone confirm how much 136 visa is? I got about 2500 with checks and stuff..

Also anyone gone to Melbourne who can advise on shipping and cost and reliable firms? Want to live on Mornington Penninsula....

Finally, we live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. I'm 32 and hubs is 28 and would love to chat with others in similar situation, poss newbie mates for our futures in Oz.................. Look forward to your replies.

Take care, S-j x

hi sj

well congrats on deciding to get aboard the most emotional rollercoaster there is we havent used an agent and so far done ok, passed tra first time and now 41/2 months into 136 visa app. so hoping to get co soon. hubby is a self employed builder and when we first started on this journey an amazing be member helped out loads by mailing me templates of stat decs and refs that her hubby used, so keeping with tradition quite happy to pass them on, you could use them as a guide. anyway if you need any help lots of friendly peps on here oh and if you look on www.immi.gov.au they have the current charges.
tracey
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

carolk is on a distinguished road

Hi

The weather seems to be almost the same these days - very dry! Sydney used to have more rainfall per year, but I don't know if that is still the same seeing as rain is so scarce in both Melbourne and Sydney. They used to always say that Melbourne had 4 seasons in one day, and you would have the occasional day like that.
It was because you get the hot, humid weather then you get the storms and rain that clears the air. But I think you could get that anywhere.

Melbourne is cheaper than Sydney ( eg Sydney used to have surcharges for eating at restaurants Fri and Sat nights), think that's because Sydney is more of a tourist destination. Melbourne was voted world's most liveable city a few times, I think.

The eastern suburbs of Melbourne are pretty good. You'll pretty much always be 30mins away from a big shopping centre, lots of schools - public and private - roads and bypasses are good, and you get more house for your money!! Unless you live up a mountain, you'll be no more than 1 hour away from the cbd of Melbourne, and within minutes of the Dandenong Ranges - lovely mountains covered in rainforest.
Have I sold you yet? lol
It's been about 3 years since I spent proper time there (more than just a few weeks) so hopefully things haven't changed too much!!
Hope that helps!!
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:46 pm
Nearly There

momma mia will become famous soon enough

Hi ya
Ive just had to do the whole court thing too. Hubby just got a job in melbourne and will be flying over next week I will be there when the house is sold so im glad ive found this site as im panicking now about everything. I live in Sheffield and the kids havn't got a great quality of life both girls 10 and 5yrs but hopefully melbourne can change all that. I dont even know yet where we will be living over there hubby getting put up for 3 months so he will have time to sort that out for us( dont know if I trust him lol)its not the same as choosing somewhere for yourself.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:28 pm
Essex to Oz

Niccizoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sj and Si

We are Nicci and Steve from Essex, Steves a plasterer and we also have 4 kiddies.

We are hoping to get over on a 136, just deciding what agent to use
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:20 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We live in the S/E suburbs (Pakenham) which is just within the Gippsland countryside and we love it here. Yes the weather can be changeable but we like that part as couldn't cope with the heat all the time. There have been bush fires within 50kms of where we are and the smoke has been bad but that is part and parcel of life here. I know from other people that Sydney is a lot more expensive than Melbourne but it does depend on where you want to be. The Dandenong Ranges are beautiful and well worth a visit. Good luck with your plans.

Lorraine