Reload this Page >

Hi - We're an Aussie and a Pom

Hi - We're an Aussie and a Pom

Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Second Stage II is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi - We're an Aussie and a Pom

Hey all

Having been here in Oz for 5 years I have only just stumbled across this site. I am a brit from County Durham who married a Aussie lass. We spent some time together in the UK when we first got married and then went through the process of getting a visa. I am now a PR and we have been living in Sydney, but we are just about to move north of the border to Brisbane (to live in Bulimba/Morningside).

Just wanted to say hi and give an introduction. Would love to hear from others new to Brissy and would especially love to here from others in our situation (where one half is a brit and the other is an Aussie). I s'ppose it is a little bit different experience to some of the others in here.

What a great resource this is and it would have been so good to have known about it when we first got to Sydney.

Simon and Jane
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice
Default Re: Hi - We're an Aussie and a Pom

Hi Simon and Jane

I am in a similar position although not yet in Aus. I am a Brit, been married to an Aussie for 10 yrs and now have 3 kids so want a better lifestyle for them.

His family are all in Brissie (sis in Windsor, Mum in St Lucia), and we hope to be there this time next year.

Did you find getting your visa straightforward? And how about finding a job once you were there?

Cheers
Rachel
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RachelH
Hi Simon and Jane

I am in a similar position although not yet in Aus. I am a Brit, been married to an Aussie for 10 yrs and now have 3 kids so want a better lifestyle for them.

His family are all in Brissie (sis in Windsor, Mum in St Lucia), and we hope to be there this time next year.

Did you find getting your visa straightforward? And how about finding a job once you were there?

Cheers
Rachel
Hi Rachel

The process of getting a spouse visa for us was fairly tough. In the backs of our minds we always new that it would be granted, but the wait was agonising!! It is a really impersonal process and you have to open your relationship and private lives up to all and sundry. In all I think it took about 8 months and lots and lots of hours organising paperwork and evidence.

Saying that it is such a great moment when you eventually get the letter giving you the news.

On the work front, I was really lucky. I landed a job a month or so after arriving in Sydney (been there for 5 years).

Our family is now 3 with a lttile girl joining us three years ago.

We just came back from Brissie - I have been up there a few times with work, but not spent any time in the city really. We have orgainsed a place to live and are really excited about the move.

Good luck to you. It is a move that I have never regrttted and love it out here.

Simon
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Hi Simon

I dont doubt I will love it, lived there for a year aged 21 and been back countless times on holiday since, I would go tomorrow if I could!

I am surprised it took so long for your visa - lots of other people on here have said it took a couple of weeks from sending it in to getting it back - were you married at the time?

Anyway, good luck in Brissie - when do you move there?

Rachel
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RachelH
Hi Simon

I dont doubt I will love it, lived there for a year aged 21 and been back countless times on holiday since, I would go tomorrow if I could!

I am surprised it took so long for your visa - lots of other people on here have said it took a couple of weeks from sending it in to getting it back - were you married at the time?

Anyway, good luck in Brissie - when do you move there?

Rachel
Rachel

We were married at the time that we submitted the application. If I remember rightly, it was not so much the waiting for the visa to be approved, it was more the amount of time it took to prepare the application.

We move north in just over a week.

Simon
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

yes I have all that lovely paprwork to look forward to!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:02 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Second Stage II
Hey all

Having been here in Oz for 5 years I have only just stumbled across this site. I am a brit from County Durham who married a Aussie lass. We spent some time together in the UK when we first got married and then went through the process of getting a visa. I am now a PR and we have been living in Sydney, but we are just about to move north of the border to Brisbane (to live in Bulimba/Morningside).

Just wanted to say hi and give an introduction. Would love to hear from others new to Brissy and would especially love to here from others in our situation (where one half is a brit and the other is an Aussie). I s'ppose it is a little bit different experience to some of the others in here.

What a great resource this is and it would have been so good to have known about it when we first got to Sydney.

Simon and Jane
welcome to BE, glad you found it too
when are you off to Brissie and why?