Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hi paula from kiddy

hi paula from kiddy

Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:16 am
Just Joined

chrissb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question hi paula from kiddy

Hi 'Paula' we are the one with the guts to go to N.Z. when we knew no one you left kiddy on the october of 2002 we left 2003 october and are in wellington do you remember that weird guy you used to work with briefly in 'the shop' . yes thats us we made it!!! YESwe have been here 8 months now . Isaw your emails on a thread way back and the letter in the local rag about recycling . We sort of never stpped after you left and here we are living the dream . ITS VERY TOUGH AT FIRST BUT THEN IT GETS A BIT BETTER AND BETTER.We had visitor for eight weeks recenly real good boost are you still in the town /city where you said you were going or have you moved. Our kids still remember you moving and we keep in touch with some of Ozys teachers and some kids too! if your out there let us know?
chrissb
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:50 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hi paula from kiddy

Originally posted by chrissb
Hi 'Paula' we are the one with the guts to go to N.Z. when we knew no one you left kiddy on the october of 2002 we left 2003 october and are in wellington do you remember that weird guy you used to work with briefly in 'the shop' . yes thats us we made it!!! YESwe have been here 8 months now . Isaw your emails on a thread way back and the letter in the local rag about recycling . We sort of never stpped after you left and here we are living the dream . ITS VERY TOUGH AT FIRST BUT THEN IT GETS A BIT BETTER AND BETTER.We had visitor for eight weeks recenly real good boost are you still in the town /city where you said you were going or have you moved. Our kids still remember you moving and we keep in touch with some of Ozys teachers and some kids too! if your out there let us know?
chrissb

Bloody Hell small world!!!!

Yes of course I remember you, I often wondered if you went through with it, because when we left you were still at the 'looking into it' stage.

Yes we are still here in Kaiapoi (just north of Christchurch). Agree fully with you it is hard but stick with it. Ian and I were only saying this last night we have been here 18mths and only now is everything starting to feel familiar and 'like home'. We had our problems as does everyone, you can't make a move like this and expect it to be plain sailing. Biggest was Ians job turned out to be nothing like the job descrip. in every way imaginable. We came over with his employer from the Uk (oldest emplyer in kiddy name starts with a B, you know who i mean) lets just say they ain't my favourite people and never will be!
I don't really keep in touch with the school, except sometimes Mrs Massey (nursery teacher). I exchange emails with Mandy the childminder who lived just down the road from school. I still don't know what happened to the other family who moved to Nelson NZ the same time as us. I know the family that moved to OZ are doing Ok.

We are overall very happy here, the kids love it. Hannahs memories of the UK are fading and often can't remember people we mention. We have had lots of visitors too which is nice if a little hectic. We had 5 house guests for 1 mth at xmas.

Really nice to hear from you , glad you are all settling nicely.

Paula
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:48 am
Just Joined

chrissb is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Hi amazing eh just a staggering tiny world syndrome again! Whave found it definately challanging to say the least as my dad died recenntly too. and my wife hated her first job when we got here we stuck it out though and we bought a house after eight weeks and then Ann got a new job!! I took a job working part-time in the hol park where we stayed when we first got here and now i have a job working for the big red shed and thats as far as we are now yet we are doing O.K. I am trying to get on with some english decorating but it is not happening yet i may actually pay some one in the end we have made some friends and we are friendly with the school the kids go to however the kindy is another story My son loves it here and the twins even though they mis folk back home are very happy with there new life and have already began to forget people and places too. The things i miss are J.S.custard creams, good cereals GOLDEN GRAHAMS and good english beer I would kill for a pint of banks' however its not going to happen!!so just have to keep drinking the local stuff till i get used to it there is a + Banrock Station red wine is dirt cheap!!
chrissb
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:08 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by chrissb
Hi amazing eh just a staggering tiny world syndrome again! Whave found it definately challanging to say the least as my dad died recenntly too. and my wife hated her first job when we got here we stuck it out though and we bought a house after eight weeks and then Ann got a new job!! I took a job working part-time in the hol park where we stayed when we first got here and now i have a job working for the big red shed and thats as far as we are now yet we are doing O.K. I am trying to get on with some english decorating but it is not happening yet i may actually pay some one in the end we have made some friends and we are friendly with the school the kids go to however the kindy is another story My son loves it here and the twins even though they mis folk back home are very happy with there new life and have already began to forget people and places too. The things i miss are J.S.custard creams, good cereals GOLDEN GRAHAMS and good english beer I would kill for a pint of banks' however its not going to happen!!so just have to keep drinking the local stuff till i get used to it there is a + Banrock Station red wine is dirt cheap!!
chrissb

Sounds like you have had a similar time to us. Ian hated his 1st job but he stuck it out for 7mths. We bought a house after 4wks, which was the best thing we did. It enabled us to put down some real roots, and being brand new 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 living 2 car garage it made everything worthwhile compared to what we had on Sion Ave. Having our 'dream' house saw us through the very dark times when Ians job was bloody awful. He has a really good job now which he thoroughly enjoys and pays really well. I am training to be a teacher aide and spend a lot of time at the kids school, some of it paid, some voluntary.
Ian very much misses English beer, although he does a good job of perservering with Canterbury Draught. I did treat him to some cans of Boddingtons the other day but at $5.75 per can its birthdays and xmas only I'm afraid! The kids missed good cereals too infact my mum bought over Cheerios on her 1st visit along with the obligatory walkers crisps.

So glad you are doing Ok. Its hard work and v.stressfull but we are glad we made the move. Most people who have visited us have found going back to Kiddy quite depressing, but then thats not surprising!!!

Paula