Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi all, been in Perth for 2 years, now going to try QLD, Ormeau to start

Hi all, been in Perth for 2 years, now going to try QLD, Ormeau to start

Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:24 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Talking Hi all, been in Perth for 2 years, now going to try QLD, Ormeau to start

Hi all...some of you may or not know, but we've been in Perth now for 2 years and going to try Queenland for a while. My aunt keeps asking us over so we thought we would give a try for a year or two. Dont want to go on holiday first as would rather get a feel for the place as residents and not have holiday heads on and whilst our Daughter is still young (7).anyway, my aunt lives in Ormeau (Gold Coast), and has offered us to stay for a while whilst we look at areas and sort out a rental.

Would you consider Ormeau to be a fairly good base? we want to have a look around the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, yes you,ve heard it all before I know! Ive had a look on the map and seems to be ok, but im not a great map reader so who knows!!! im really excited now, we always said we would go over and now with the offer of a place to stay were just gonna go for it. Ive been doing my research and the Sunshine Coast sounds great but like many of you we have to think about jobs, hubbies a mechanic... although parts of the Gold Coast look great too and would be lovely to be near my aunt for some moral support,,,this moving business is bloody stressful and doing it twice is scary! we woundnt be able to settle very close to the ocean due to limited cash, but hoping not to be more than 20-30 mins from sandy beachs.

Anyway, thanks in advance, we prob will stay with my aunt, maybe we could camp for a couple to day around the sunshine coast while its not too hot!!! my main concern up there is the job situation and if there is enough to do for teenagers, also is it easy to travel by train to say Brisbane, its does look beautiful up there ...sorry im flitting from one subject to another

Cheers all, have a good day
xx

Last edited by Dawn; Apr 7th 2008 at 3:26 am.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:29 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hi all, been in Perth for 2 years, now going to try QLD, Ormeau to start :)

Ormeau is a pretty handy place to check out GC and Brissie (it being at the northern end of GC) - it a bit of a hike to the Sunshine coast though...

Somethign to do for teenagers? Well while you're on your rece trip just park a teenager in one of the theme parks (in Ormeau!) that'll keep 'em busy.

In terms of long term I cant help you much - Brisbane seems lively and young enough and GC certainly has it party-strip for older teens - and theres always the beach for a place to hang out
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:50 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all
Default Re: Hi all, been in Perth for 2 years, now going to try QLD, Ormeau to start

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all...some of you may or not know, but we've been in Perth now for 2 years and going to try Queenland for a while. My aunt keeps asking us over so we thought we would give a try for a year or two. Dont want to go on holiday first as would rather get a feel for the place as residents and not have holiday heads on and whilst our Daughter is still young (7).anyway, my aunt lives in Ormeau (Gold Coast), and has offered us to stay for a while whilst we look at areas and sort out a rental.

Anyway, thanks in advance, we prob will stay with my aunt, maybe we could camp for a couple to day around the sunshine coast while its not too hot!!! my main concern up there is the job situation and if there is enough to do for teenagers, also is it easy to travel by train to say Brisbane, its does look beautiful up there ...sorry im flitting from one subject to another Would you consider Ormeau to be a fairly good base? we want to have a look around the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, yes you,ve heard it all before I know! Ive had a look on the map and seems to be ok, but im not a great map reader so who knows!!! im really excited now, we always said we would go over and now with the offer of a place to stay were just gonna go for it. Ive been doing my research and the Sunshine Coast sounds great but like many of you we have to think about jobs, hubbies a mechanic... although parts of the Gold Coast look great too and would be lovely to be near my aunt for some moral support,,,this moving business is bloody stressful and doing it twice is scary! we woundnt be able to settle very close to the ocean due to limited cash, but hoping not to be more than 20-30 mins from sandy beachs.

xx
Hi,
We moved from Scotland to Ormeau last June and love it. Bought land elsewhere to build on but now in the process of selling it as don't want to move from Ormeau. Kids love the primary school and have come on leaps and bounds and the train station is 2 mins walk from the school. They are also in the process of building a new high school in Ormeau. It has that country feel to it, we stay in the new Jacobs Ridge estate but are trying to buy house just now in the Norfolk area (personally i'm not too keen on new houses, prefer older ones with character). Plenty ovals etc for the teenagers if they are into sport and the theme parks like wet'n'wild etc 10 mins up the motorway. Beach 20/25 mins away but smaller one 15 mins away at Jacobs Well. Speed racing track on road to Jacobs Well and flying club too , so plenty if u know where to look. Anyway goodluck and if u want anymore info please feel free to PM me.
Fiona
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all, been in Perth for 2 years, now going to try QLD, Ormeau to start

Would you consider Ormeau to be a fairly good base? we want to have a look around the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, yes you,ve heard it all before I know! Ive had a look on the map and seems to be ok, but im not a great map reader so who knows!!! im really excited now, we always said we would go over and now with the offer of a place to stay were just gonna go for it. Ive been doing my research and the Sunshine Coast sounds great but like many of you we have to think about jobs, hubbies a mechanic... although parts of the Gold Coast look great too and would be lovely to be near my aunt for some moral support,,,this moving business is bloody stressful and doing it twice is scary! we woundnt be able to settle very close to the ocean due to limited cash, but hoping not to be more than 20-30 mins from sandy beachs.

Anyway, thanks in advance, we prob will stay with my aunt, maybe we could camp for a couple to day around the sunshine coast while its not too hot!!! my main concern up there is the job situation and if there is enough to do for teenagers, also is it easy to travel by train to say Brisbane, its does look beautiful up there ...sorry im flitting from one subject to another

xx
Hi there. Like the last poster, we also live in the Jacobs Ridge estate in Ormeau. We built our house about 18 months ago, and quite honestly, wouldn’t live anywhere else. Ormeau itself is about ½ way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast with good rail links in both directions. The Sunshine Coast is about a 2 hour drive away, but with plenty to see and do on the way, you could spend ½ a day or more getting up there. Ormeau is not too far from the white sandy beaches, about 20-30 minutes away. Jacobs Well is also a lovely spot to visit, about 10 minutes away.

Also we’re right on the door step to all the themeparks. Dreamworld, White Water World, Movie World, Wet n Wild and Seaworld, so plenty to keep your kids occupied.

Anyway, hope that helps. If you need to know anything else I’d be happy to help.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:22 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi there. Like the last poster, we also live in the Jacobs Ridge estate in Ormeau. We built our house about 18 months ago, and quite honestly, wouldn’t live anywhere else. Ormeau itself is about ½ way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast with good rail links in both directions. The Sunshine Coast is about a 2 hour drive away, but with plenty to see and do on the way, you could spend ½ a day or more getting up there. Ormeau is not too far from the white sandy beaches, about 20-30 minutes away. Jacobs Well is also a lovely spot to visit, about 10 minutes away.

Also we’re right on the door step to all the themeparks. Dreamworld, White Water World, Movie World, Wet n Wild and Seaworld, so plenty to keep your kids occupied.

Anyway, hope that helps. If you need to know anything else I’d be happy to help.
ahh thank you so much for your replys, where does the train go into, Brisbane? and do you mind me asking about shopping? do you have local shops or one main shopping centre further away? im getting excited now it would be so nice to live in a good area that i could walk from home to the school that doesnt feel like its in the middle of nowhere! thanks again

xx
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:24 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

oh also how big is Ormeau? is it a fairly small suburb? i also prefer older rather than newer my aunt lives in halfway drive but i wouldnt have a clue where that was!!!!

cheers x
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

oh also how big is Ormeau? is it a fairly small suburb? i also prefer older rather than newer my aunt lives in halfway drive but i wouldnt have a clue where that was!!!!

cheers x
Hi. The train stops at 3 places in Brisbane, Southbank, Roma Street and Central. Central is the main stop for the CBD. takes about an hour from Ormeau. Ormeau itself is quite rural, but has 3 fairly new housing estages, Ormeau Hills, Jacobs Ridge and Norfolk Village. There is a central shopping centre at Ormeau itself, IGA supermarket, newsagents, chemist, doctors, chinese restaruant, fish and chips, real estate, hairdressers, a gym and a few other specialty shops. Its quite handy if you need something quickly, but we tend to shop at either Westfield at Helensvale, 15 minutes south or the Hyperdome, 15-20 minutes north. Lots of shops at both places. Theres a few bigger shopping centres further down the coast, Australia Fair at Southpot and Pacific Fair at Broadboach are 2 that come to mind at the moment. When you say it would be good to walk home from the school, it would depend very much on part you settled in, as Ormeau is quite big and spread out somewhat. All the housing estates I mentioned above, are not in walking distance to the school, about a 5-10 minute drive, likewise to the train station.

I just checked where Halfway Drive is and its on the otherside of the motorway to where we are, and the school and train station, so sorry, not within walking distance.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:47 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi. The train stops at 3 places in Brisbane, Southbank, Roma Street and Central. Central is the main stop for the CBD. takes about an hour from Ormeau. Ormeau itself is quite rural, but has 3 fairly new housing estages, Ormeau Hills, Jacobs Ridge and Norfolk Village. There is a central shopping centre at Ormeau itself, IGA supermarket, newsagents, chemist, doctors, chinese restaruant, fish and chips, real estate, hairdressers, a gym and a few other specialty shops. Its quite handy if you need something quickly, but we tend to shop at either Westfield at Helensvale, 15 minutes south or the Hyperdome, 15-20 minutes north. Lots of shops at both places. Theres a few bigger shopping centres further down the coast, Australia Fair at Southpot and Pacific Fair at Broadboach are 2 that come to mind at the moment. When you say it would be good to walk home from the school, it would depend very much on part you settled in, as Ormeau is quite big and spread out somewhat. All the housing estates I mentioned above, are not in walking distance to the school, about a 5-10 minute drive, likewise to the train station.

I just checked where Halfway Drive is and its on the otherside of the motorway to where we are, and the school and train station, so sorry, not within walking distance.
ahh thats ok, not sure where we will be settling yet, just gonna stay with my aunt untill we sort a rental,,,,cant wait now just got to sell the house... thanks for all your help x
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ahh thats ok, not sure where we will be settling yet, just gonna stay with my aunt untill we sort a rental,,,,cant wait now just got to sell the house... thanks for all your help x
no problem. good luck with the move. if you feel like catching up over a coffee or something when you arrive, just give me a shout.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

What's making you leave Perth ?

xx
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:52 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

xx
Dawn

Best of luck with your move east, will miss you. Is Nicky going with you?

Sam
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:32 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Dawn

Best of luck with your move east, will miss you. Is Nicky going with you?

Sam
Hi Sam, so sorry for the delay, yes were thinking of going over, Richs aunt keeps dangling the carrott as it were, to stay with her whilst we find a rental, thought we may try it for a year or two, although bit worried about leaving my friends!! Not sure about nikki, shes landed a job which involves travelling Aus, Usa, Canada, Europe, Africa lucky thing so wont be back here untill next march. Shes refusing to make a decision before then about if shes stay in Aus or moving back the UK...so im trying not to pressure her too much

hope your well xx
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:39 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Hi Sam, so sorry for the delay, yes were thinking of going over, Richs aunt keeps dangling the carrott as it were, to stay with her whilst we find a rental, thought we may try it for a year or two, although bit worried about leaving my friends!! Not sure about nikki, shes landed a job which involves travelling Aus, Usa, Canada, Europe, Africa lucky thing so wont be back here untill next march. Shes refusing to make a decision before then about if shes stay in Aus or moving back the UK...so im trying not to pressure her too much

hope your well xx
Melaniee and Sassy.....

Sassy, thanks for the offer of the coffee, will take you up on that!

Melaniee, Regards moving from Perth,,,,,i just find it too quiet for me, but saying that, since we've finally decide to ''try the other side'' perths grown on me a bit!! think its prob because the pressures off a bit,,,,,,OH has always loved it here so its been a bit strained! but i dont think i will settle untill i have the comparison really and i just feel i need a bit more, but a bit more of what im not sure!!! im a bit concerned about the heat over there i must say but seems to me everyone else can bear it and its really only the summer months,,,,,ill just stay in with the air con or go shopping

just re-read that, i sound a big vague but those of you out there who feel like me will no what im rambling on about
xx
Old Apr 26th 2008, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

What is it about Perth that doesn't fit?

Are there many houses for sale round your area. There's too many round me.

We loved Brisbane and Gold Coast when we visited. Loads of people seem to be moving away from Perth to Brissy.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:54 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
What is it about Perth that doesn't fit?

Are there many houses for sale round your area. There's too many round me.

We loved Brisbane and Gold Coast when we visited. Loads of people seem to be moving away from Perth to Brissy.
there are far too many around here for sale also!!! we have a large pool so im hoping that will help, although not the best time of year to make it look inviting!! we always said we would try perth for a while then maybe go over east to viset hubbies family, cant really say its anything in particular about perth, may go over east then come back!! not making any decisions until ive had a look, it would be nice to have the wow factor though but not sure if you get that anywhere really. looking forward to taking a look though went to margaret river last week and that lovely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.