Hi all!

Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Hi all!

Hi, Just registered here so thought I'd introduce myself.

We're in the process of applying for a skills visa at the moment (my fiance's a floor finisher) then we're planning on moving Us (Tasha & Pete) and our 2 children, Lewis(7) and Leighton(4) to Oz- hopefully before this years out.. Just seem to be doing a lot of waiting at the mo.

In the mean time thought I'd take a look on the net. Wouldn't mind chatting to some people going through the same as us. Especially if you're from our area (Surrey/Hampshire border).

Anyway, when I've sussed this site out properly I'll post some more. Everyone seems quite friendly!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:23 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all!

Hi welcome to BE. All the best with your application.

Joex
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:36 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Reids

We're in the process of applying for a skills visa at the moment (my fiance's a floor finisher) then we're planning on moving Us (Tasha & Pete) and our 2 children, Lewis(7) and Leighton(4) to Oz- hopefully before this years out.. Just seem to be doing a lot of waiting at the mo.

In the mean time thought I'd take a look on the net. Wouldn't mind chatting to some people going through the same as us. Especially if you're from our area (Surrey/Hampshire border).

Anyway, when I've sussed this site out properly I'll post some more. Everyone seems quite friendly!
Good luck with everything...it can be a long and hard process but in my opinion Melbourne, where I've ended up, is a fantastic place to live.....better than Basingstoke where I was born.....

Keep us informed of your progress and ask whatever you want. You'll get numerous opinions on here, and even the occasional straight answer

If nothing else, these forums are great for sharing the burden of emigrating with people who can empathise with your situation....hope it all goes as you want

Carl
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the friendly hellos.

Loads of people have said that Melbourne is lovely. It is an option for us as there seems to be plenty of work there for my other half. Canberra is first choice though as we have friends there and would be nice to see a friendly face at the other end. Wouldn't mind going a bit further north eventually though - warmer!

We currently live in Lindford, not too far from Basingstoke and I agree. Melbourne has to be a better option than this - freezing, windy and work, work, work!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:49 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the friendly hellos.

Loads of people have said that Melbourne is lovely. It is an option for us as there seems to be plenty of work there for my other half. Canberra is first choice though as we have friends there and would be nice to see a friendly face at the other end. Wouldn't mind going a bit further north eventually though - warmer!

We currently live in Lindford, not too far from Basingstoke and I agree. Melbourne has to be a better option than this - freezing, windy and work, work, work!
Melbourne is great....the climate is not as stifling as some other cities and there are definite seasons. It can get cold in the winter once you've acclimatised.

Have you been to Australia before?

Funnily enough, I am going to Canberra tomorrow to work for 2 weeks. I shall return with some insights into the city....
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

It would be great to hear your thoughts on Canberra.

No, I've never been to Oz myself, it will all be new to me. My Fiance has though and loved it. I know its a big step, especially when you've never been but I'd rather try it than sit here in a few years saying what if...

I'm sure I'll love it! Although I do know its not going to be easy.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:06 am
Take it easy

It would be great to hear your thoughts on Canberra.

No, I've never been to Oz myself, it will all be new to me. My Fiance has though and loved it. I know its a big step, especially when you've never been but I'd rather try it than sit here in a few years saying what if...

I'm sure I'll love it! Although I do know its not going to be easy.
Neither my wife nor myself had been to Australia before and we both love it. Saying that, we had both been dissatisfied with the UK for quite a while and, like yourself, felt the need to give somewhere else a try. Amazingly, the first time I had felt homesick in years was last year when I went to Auckland....I missed Melbourne!!!!

To be honest, I don' think anyone knows if they'll like it until they actually live here. Visiting is not the same thing, so to me, reccie's are a waste of time. However, it may be wise to not burn all your bridges in England...although we did:scared:
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:00 pm
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Hi Tasha
My husband is a floor finisher more on the carpet side rather than the hard flooring, we have just had our meds done and are waiting for them to be sent back to Oz for the ok "fingers crossed". We are planning to move near the Gold Coast with our 3 boys my husband has been offered plenty of work, where are you thinking of going to?

Take care

Sarah
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,
My fiance is more carpets and vinyl too but had to call him a floor finisher for the TRA. We were planning to start in Canberra because we have a friend there but are quite keen to end up towrds Brisbane and the Gold Coast, where its a bit warmer. we're quite open really to going wherever work is for him. Have you any idea on the pay for a carpet fitter around the Gold Coast? Would really appreciate it too if you had any tips on how to go about finding the work.

How old are your boys? You've probably already read but ours are 4 and 7. Can't wait for it all to happen. It should be a great new life for them. We're looking forwrd to being outdoors more.

Also, I'm woryying about the medicals. What sort of things do they do. My main worry is that I'm overweight. I don't have any ill effects from it though and I'm nearly 6ft so would look stupid at 8 st.

Thanks for your reply
Tasha x
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:27 pm
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Hi,
My fiance is more carpets and vinyl too but had to call him a floor finisher for the TRA. We were planning to start in Canberra because we have a friend there but are quite keen to end up towrds Brisbane and the Gold Coast, where its a bit warmer. we're quite open really to going wherever work is for him. Have you any idea on the pay for a carpet fitter around the Gold Coast? Would really appreciate it too if you had any tips on how to go about finding the work.

How old are your boys? You've probably already read but ours are 4 and 7. Can't wait for it all to happen. It should be a great new life for them. We're looking forwrd to being outdoors more.

Also, I'm woryying about the medicals. What sort of things do they do. My main worry is that I'm overweight. I don't have any ill effects from it though and I'm nearly 6ft so would look stupid at 8 st.

Thanks for your reply
Tasha x
Hi Tasha
I dont blame you for wanting to be round the Gold Coast area we have been twice now and absolutely love it, your fiance will not have any problems in finding work on the Gold Coast as there is plenty all I did was to email companies and they are crying our for good fitters, it is great to see another floor finisher on here you are the only other one I have found, does your oh work for himself or with a company? we are based in Bedfordshire but my husband works mainly in London..you never know he might know your oh.
We have 3 boys age 11,8 & 3 in April.
What stage are you at with your application ? took me ages to sort all ours out, are you applying for a 136 visa? and are you going through an agent?
We have just had our medicals done on 5th Jan my husband is having his done on Tuesday so when his is done it will be sent to Oz for the final decision, what you have to do is have a chest xray 1st and then you book with a doctor to have a medical done they take your height, weight, blood pressure check your throat & ears tickle your feet and feel your neck, they also take blood for HIV and Oh if you have tattoos you have to have an extra blood test , but honestly listen don't worry about your weight I am over weight and I know alot more people that are a lot bigger than me have got to Oz so please try not to worry.

Keep in touch

Sarah
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Hi Tasha
I dont blame you for wanting to be round the Gold Coast area we have been twice now and absolutely love it, your fiance will not have any problems in finding work on the Gold Coast as there is plenty all I did was to email companies and they are crying our for good fitters, it is great to see another floor finisher on here you are the only other one I have found, does your oh work for himself or with a company? we are based in Bedfordshire but my husband works mainly in London..you never know he might know your oh.
We have 3 boys age 11,8 & 3 in April.
What stage are you at with your application ? took me ages to sort all ours out, are you applying for a 136 visa? and are you going through an agent?
We have just had our medicals done on 5th Jan my husband is having his done on Tuesday so when his is done it will be sent to Oz for the final decision, what you have to do is have a chest xray 1st and then you book with a doctor to have a medical done they take your height, weight, blood pressure check your throat & ears tickle your feet and feel your neck, they also take blood for HIV and Oh if you have tattoos you have to have an extra blood test , but honestly listen don't worry about your weight I am over weight and I know alot more people that are a lot bigger than me have got to Oz so please try not to worry.

Keep in touch

Sarah
Hi Sarah

My OH works for himself but subs to a couple of companies. He does a fair bit of work in London too as like you say its hard to find a good fitter.
My OH is called Peter Reid. Your hubby may know him as name travel around the companies.

Yes we are going on a 136 visa. We had a successful TRA assessment in November. Are just waiting for confirmation from our agent that DIMA have received our app, then I suppose we just wait until they want us to have our medicals. I hate waiting, just want to get going.

Ideally we would love to be out there around Septmber time, just depends on the processing time at the mo. Our youngest son is due to start scool in Sept and it seems a shame to stick him into our school system for a short time to then have to drag him out. What stage are you at?

Tasha x
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:50 pm
JONES FAMILY

Hi Sarah

My OH works for himself but subs to a couple of companies. He does a fair bit of work in London too as like you say its hard to find a good fitter.
My OH is called Peter Reid. Your hubby may know him as name travel around the companies.

Yes we are going on a 136 visa. We had a successful TRA assessment in November. Are just waiting for confirmation from our agent that DIMA have received our app, then I suppose we just wait until they want us to have our medicals. I hate waiting, just want to get going.

Ideally we would love to be out there around Septmber time, just depends on the processing time at the mo. Our youngest son is due to start scool in Sept and it seems a shame to stick him into our school system for a short time to then have to drag him out. What stage are you at?

Tasha x
Hiya Tasha
My husband is Don Jones and he sub-contracts through companies in London, l am going to pm my home no would love to have a proper chat if thats ok and if I can work out how to do it on this site.

Ps I dont normally spend all day on this computer chatting to people "honest"

Sarah
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Amnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant futureAmnda&Danny has a brilliant future

Hi Tasha
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Hiya Tasha
My husband is Don Jones and he sub-contracts through companies in London, l am going to pm my home no would love to have a proper chat if thats ok and if I can work out how to do it on this site.

Ps I dont normally spend all day on this computer chatting to people "honest"

Sarah
Hi,

A chat would be great. I was getting a bit fed up with all the waiting but finding this site has really helped pick me up. Its good to talk to real people going through the same and especially as your hubby is in the same job. I'm sure you'll be a great help to us and hopefully us to you. I'll mail you my number too if thats ok. That way whoever gets round to it first has the number.

I dont usually spend all day on here either - I can hear the housework calling!! Boring!!

Tasha x
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:57 pm
JONES FAMILY

Hi,

A chat would be great. I was getting a bit fed up with all the waiting but finding this site has really helped pick me up. Its good to talk to real people going through the same and especially as your hubby is in the same job. I'm sure you'll be a great help to us and hopefully us to you. I'll mail you my number too if thats ok. That way whoever gets round to it first has the number.

I dont usually spend all day on here either - I can hear the housework calling!! Boring!!

Tasha x
Hi
I will ring you tonight when I have put my little boy to bed

Sarah