Wikiposts

hgv licence

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:13 am
WBB

Default hgv licence

on top of my u.k car licence i have a full bike licence and a class 1 l.g.v (old h.g.v) licence, does anybody know the rules regarding these once i get to oz.

i know i will have to take a theory test to cover me to drive a car, would this cover the lot or would there be another test to sit for the truck and bike?

thanks

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:20 am
Badge

Default Re: hgv licence

WBB

There is Light Rigid, Medium Rigid, Heavy Rigid truck license category. (LR, MR, HR)

Artic is HC, Heavy Combo
Roadtrain is MC Multiple Combo

I got HR from scratch after 5 hours plus test. Cost 50 bucks an hour in Mannington, South Perth.

That's lessons in an American style snouted prime truck, 10 tonnes mover, with 10 tonne load. 13 gears.

Maybe your HGV will equate to LR or MR.

Let us know

Badge

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:24 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi welshboybilly,
I remember from another post that you should retain the old groups that a car liscence has, 7.5 tone etc but I don't know about bike & HGV.

It will be interesting to see what is said.

I bet the answer will be on one of the Gov web sites, but it's just the problem of finding it.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:31 am
WBB

Originally posted by markeh
Hi welshboybilly,
I remember from another post that you should retain the old groups that a car liscence has, 7.5 tone etc but I don't know about bike & HGV.

It will be interesting to see what is said.

I bet the answer will be on one of the Gov web sites, but it's just the problem of finding it.

Bye
Markeh

i know, i have done a bit of sniffing around through stuffy websites.

just thought someone here might know.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:34 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi welshboybilly,
yep, It's best to get it first hand from someone who has been through it.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:55 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by welshboybilly
on top of my u.k car licence i have a full bike licence and a class 1 l.g.v (old h.g.v) licence, does anybody know the rules regarding these once i get to oz.

i know i will have to take a theory test to cover me to drive a car, would this cover the lot or would there be another test to sit for the truck and bike?

thanks
Ditto. I've got those licences. Need to get me pilots licence to complete the set. Good question though, anybody got a straight answer?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:55 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

For NSW, check this website for details:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...asdrivers.html

I think the most important section is this:

Important Notes: The recognition of licences from certain overseas countries has been agreed nationally and will commence in NSW on and from 20 May 2002. Customers that have not failed a driving or riding test, as at 20 May 2002, will be exempted from the test if they hold an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.

So, as the exemption is ONLY for car and rider, looks like Billy will need to take his HGV again. Bugger!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:33 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely right, it's only car and motorbike which you can "swap" from your UK licence.
That said though, licences for heavy things can be got either through "Competancy Based Assessment" or a straight out test.

CBA means you get assessed by your instructor as you go along. ie, if you know it all already (and just need to pick up some Aus specific info along the way) you should be able to pick up your Aus licence in a very short space of time. If you screw something up, you get to have another go at it an hour later (until you pass).

The test is just like the UK in that it's a complete pass or fail on the day.

I did CBA, dead easy really.

Originally posted by downunderpom
For NSW, check this website for details:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...asdrivers.html

I think the most important section is this:

Important Notes: The recognition of licences from certain overseas countries has been agreed nationally and will commence in NSW on and from 20 May 2002. Customers that have not failed a driving or riding test, as at 20 May 2002, will be exempted from the test if they hold an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.

So, as the exemption is ONLY for car and rider, looks like Billy will need to take his HGV again. Bugger!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:25 pm
WBB

cheers guy's, i kinda guessed this was the case but was just looking for clarification.