Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hey - What's happening to Xchange Rate?

Hey - What's happening to Xchange Rate?

Old Jun 24th 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hey - What's happening to Xchange Rate?

Not so long ago we were touching 2.70 - now it's dipped below 2.60. Any ideas what's pushing the change? I'd have thought that with rates prob. heading up in the UK then the £ would be getting stronger.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

jetsetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hey - What's happening to Xchange Rate?

Originally posted by marco121068
Not so long ago we were touching 2.70 - now it's dipped below 2.60. Any ideas what's pushing the change? I'd have thought that with rates prob. heading up in the UK then the £ would be getting stronger.

Was wondering the same myself. Tranzfers has my cash and I'm ready to convert to AUD but was hoping for around $2.65.
I noticed the £ has weakend against other currencies too! - Not sure why?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 1:39 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jetsetter
Was wondering the same myself. Tranzfers has my cash and I'm ready to convert to AUD but was hoping for around $2.65.
I noticed the £ has weakend against other currencies too! - Not sure why?
I know absolutely nothing about money but it's probably got something to do with that Navy Boat being stopped in Iranian water the other day and the peopel being arrested.

Look what happened to the USD when the Gulf war started. All these things seem to make a difference to exchange rates.

Kala
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by marco121068
It's because I had to change some money yesterday! I checked mid-morning and it was over $2.64, when I phoned the dealer to strike a deal at lunchtime I got $2.6125 and took it because he predicted high $2.50's pronto, seems to be correct in his prediction. When I asked why it had fallen 3 or 4 cents and more likely he thought it was due to 'corporate profit taking' i.e. those who deal in millions rather than thousands taking advantage of the recnt strength of the £/weakness of the $, laws of supply and demand etc. I still think it was because I was doing a trade though! It might have something to do with Wayne Rooney as well.

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Jun 25th 2004 at 8:22 am.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Although the reasons for this move may be temporary, there appears to be a more fundamental trend.

One of the big UK high street banks is forecasting the $A : £ exchange rate to be ~2.50 by end-Aug'04.

It forecasts a more rapid depreciation of £ against the $US than that of the $A against the $US. All this is based on the forecast improvements in the US economy - even though the current US economic data ain't so hot!

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jun 24th 2004 at 9:57 pm.