Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hervey Bay and Maryborough.

Hervey Bay and Maryborough.

Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

springoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant future
Default Hervey Bay and Maryborough.

Hello all.
175 granted early July and have been job hunting from the UK since then. Nothing positive yet but have a telephone interview coming up this week for Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
Up until now, we have always had our hearts set on the Sunshine Coast and surrounding areas. We have a teenage daughter and always thought it best to settle not too far away from Brisbane. I have done some research on here and on the net re the abovementioned areas and both seem like superb places to raise our kids(also have 6yr old twins), live and work. However, one of my concerns is the distance from Brissie. Would this affect us too much? Is it an issue? Am wondering that not doing a reccie may have been a mistake?
Any views will be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:02 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hervey Bay and Maryborough.

Originally Posted by springoz
Hello all.
175 granted early July and have been job hunting from the UK since then. Nothing positive yet but have a telephone interview coming up this week for Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
Up until now, we have always had our hearts set on the Sunshine Coast and surrounding areas. We have a teenage daughter and always thought it best to settle not too far away from Brisbane. I have done some research on here and on the net re the abovementioned areas and both seem like superb places to raise our kids(also have 6yr old twins), live and work. However, one of my concerns is the distance from Brissie. Would this affect us too much? Is it an issue? Am wondering that not doing a reccie may have been a mistake?
Thanks
Hmmmm, they're a bit rough actually.

Can't say much more, just from news reports and general chat, the beach at HB is crap too, IMO.

Cheaper than the sunny coast of course.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Maryborough is just before Hervey Bay coming from Brisbane if I remember correctly. Don't know much about Maryborough but Hervey Bay is a coastal town which you would already know. Its pretty much self contained with its own hospital, schools, shopping mall and everything. Its not considered rural. Its only about 4 hours drive or less than that to Brisbane.

I don't really see the need to go to Brisbane for most amenities. The town itself does seem a bit run down though, the main shopping mall doesn't really look too flash and the people seems to be on the bogan side of the fence. I have only been there a few years ago so it might have changed.

Given a choice between Hervey Bay and Brisbane I would choose Hervey Bay, Brisbane is just too crowded not to mention the insane property prices and the headache of commuting. Hervey Bay's real estate is a bit more affordable and you are right next to a beach. The last time I was there, there was a cafe on the beach and the beach looks fine to me.

Have a look on google map, search for Hervey Bay and Maryborough then choose streetview to have a real virtual tour of the towns.

Last edited by looky; Aug 24th 2009 at 11:31 am.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

springoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant future

Thank you for above replies.
Springoz
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:28 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springoz
Hello all.
Thanks

Hi

We've just spent a few days up there in HB. I must agree that the beach there is crap, although we found a nice spot in Toogoom.
HB seems like a good town, we found the people very nice. We only passed through Maryborough but what we saw of it looked very nice. Did you know the writer of "Mary Poppins" was born there.....
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

There is a forum for Hervey Bay not too good at searching but think it may be in the Barbie section. The Beach at HB isn't great but there are plenty of areas around there that are. Out of the two would def plump for HB, we live about 90 mins from there but spent a month there when we first arrived and there is plenty to do in HB just the work for us was further down the coast.
Hope this helps

Jane
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for replies. Will have another look for thread.
Springoz
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

its called "anyone got anything bad to say about hervey bay" or something similar and its in the main australia section. be warned its long and a bit of a social networking thread too.

I live in hervey bay and OH works in maryborough. Living in either one is a world away from living in brisbane or even to some extent the sunshine coast.

Its 3.5 to 4 hrs drive to Brisbane from hervey bay, about 30 mins less from maryborough.

The bay has a long shallow beach with no surf at all. Nice sand at top of beach but in patches a bit muddy when the tide goes out - which it does a long way. Its great for walking on - theres also a path the whole 8km length with parks and a few exercise stations. A reasonable smattering of pubs bars etc and quite a few restaurants - probably no good if you are a gourmet foodie but there are some nice ones and lots of normal ones.

Theres a cinema, a bowling alley, some gyms, a couple of shopping precints - actually the shopping is a bit spread out but it has everything you need even if theres not a great deal of choice sometimes. people often go to Bundaberg shopping (1.50hr away) or to sunshine plaza (2.5 -3 hr away). Theres an outdoor swimming complex and soon to open a zero depth water park with surfing pool. Its quite a transient population and has boomed in recent years. There was definately a god's waiting room aura a few years ago but with nearly a dozen schools here thats obviously no longer true.

Yes it is a bit bogun compared to a city. Yes you will get shoeless people around occassionally. But you can go out without makeup and feel normal. You don't feel like you need to dress up thats for sure. it's easy and comfortable. personally thats a plus to me as I don't like the rat race or the pretensions you can get in more upmarket areas. Sometimes I do wish it was a bit closer to Brissie though. OH would like to be able to go watch sport etc. It can be done in a day but its a hell of a days driving.

Maryborough doesn't appeal to me. it has a reasonable number of shops but has the feel of an old town much more than H Bay does. I feel its a bit clicky there but I haven't really given it much chance. Also its a degree or two warmer in summer and colder in winter there than the bay. housing is a little cheaper though.

Theres a tafe in each, a uni at Hervey bay. Hervey bay has an airport and maryborough a main line train station.

Both have much cheaper housing than brisbane. Hervey bay has housing ranging from town houses and units on complexes to acreage just outside town. can get a newish 4 bed on 700m for under 350k. A new 4 bed on 1/2 acre for around 450k on the outskirts. rent is around $300 a week for a 4 bed.

OH says to tell you its horrible here as we don't want it to get too busy too quick ....

Cookster has a teenage daughter and is very friendly - try dropping her a PM.

Oh and feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Safin
its called "anyone got anything bad to say about hervey bay" or something similar and its in the main australia section. be warned its long and a bit of a social networking thread too.

I live in hervey bay and OH works in maryborough. Living in either one is a world away from living in brisbane or even to some extent the sunshine coast.

Its 3.5 to 4 hrs drive to Brisbane from hervey bay, about 30 mins less from maryborough.

The bay has a long shallow beach with no surf at all. Nice sand at top of beach but in patches a bit muddy when the tide goes out - which it does a long way. Its great for walking on - theres also a path the whole 8km length with parks and a few exercise stations. A reasonable smattering of pubs bars etc and quite a few restaurants - probably no good if you are a gourmet foodie but there are some nice ones and lots of normal ones.

Theres a cinema, a bowling alley, some gyms, a couple of shopping precints - actually the shopping is a bit spread out but it has everything you need even if theres not a great deal of choice sometimes. people often go to Bundaberg shopping (1.50hr away) or to sunshine plaza (2.5 -3 hr away). Theres an outdoor swimming complex and soon to open a zero depth water park with surfing pool. Its quite a transient population and has boomed in recent years. There was definately a god's waiting room aura a few years ago but with nearly a dozen schools here thats obviously no longer true.

Yes it is a bit bogun compared to a city. Yes you will get shoeless people around occassionally. But you can go out without makeup and feel normal. You don't feel like you need to dress up thats for sure. it's easy and comfortable. personally thats a plus to me as I don't like the rat race or the pretensions you can get in more upmarket areas. Sometimes I do wish it was a bit closer to Brissie though. OH would like to be able to go watch sport etc. It can be done in a day but its a hell of a days driving.

Maryborough doesn't appeal to me. it has a reasonable number of shops but has the feel of an old town much more than H Bay does. I feel its a bit clicky there but I haven't really given it much chance. Also its a degree or two warmer in summer and colder in winter there than the bay. housing is a little cheaper though.

Theres a tafe in each, a uni at Hervey bay. Hervey bay has an airport and maryborough a main line train station.

Both have much cheaper housing than brisbane. Hervey bay has housing ranging from town houses and units on complexes to acreage just outside town. can get a newish 4 bed on 700m for under 350k. A new 4 bed on 1/2 acre for around 450k on the outskirts. rent is around $300 a week for a 4 bed.

OH says to tell you its horrible here as we don't want it to get too busy too quick ....

Cookster has a teenage daughter and is very friendly - try dropping her a PM.

Oh and feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know.
Thank you Sarah, nice of you to say im friendly lol
Ask away!!!

Angela
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

We live in Hervey Bay and work in Maryborough. We love Hervey Bay, we planned to live in Noosa and almost got bought a house there. i then got offered a job in Maryborough and the rest is history.

Maryborough is a bit rough, but i dont get that feel about Hervay bay. It's not good if your a big spender there is not much to send your money on, they are extending the shopping the centre but i dont hold out much hope.

minibelle

p.s think its one of the fastest growing cities in oz, fingers crossed for K mart
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

Knew the Hervey Bayers would reply to the thread, we love HB but just the work for us is on the coast and we commute from Gympie. On the plus side though we can get the two hour standby for a flight home

Jane
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Safin

Safin, thanks for the heads up. Yea, you are right, long thread but very informative so just what I needed. Will head on over there and join in in spirit as the body still in the UK
PS LOL about the pool guy!
Cheers
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the other replies as well much appreciated. Soooo much of a help to have info from peeps with first hand knowledge and experience of living there.
Cheers