Hervey Bay ?

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough
Default Hervey Bay ?

Hey

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what Hervey bay is like, myself and my partner maybe moving up there as he is getting stationed there in the police, i went to Hervey bay 14 years ago so i am thinking it may have changed since then, is it a quiet place, what kind of things is there to do ? would you recommend the move or not, are there any nice areas to live or avoid ???

Many thanks

Sarah
Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hervey Bay ?

Morning Sarah,
as usual you are likely to get lots of possitive and negitive posts about the Bay. I can only give you mine.
We moved up here in May 07 after living in South Australia for a year.
My husband sucured a good job with the local water board and we have 2 teenagers 17 and 15 both attending a local high school.
For us the Bay is a lovely little sleepy seaside town with a buzzing little esplanade. There are plenty of cafe`s and a few pubs, and a great irish bar where my daughter works.
The beaches here are beautiful and it never ever feels crowded.
Plenty of food shops such as Coles and Woolies but the clothes shops leave a lot to be desired. Not such a problem as we often have a run down to Sunshine Plaza on the sunny coast for a retail blowout.
Employment seems to be a bit of a worry. Mainly hospitality industry, with larger employers being in Maryboro and further.
We have a great network of friends both expats and Ozzies and enjoy a very full social calander.
The place feels safe and most people are friendly. Having said all that I have to say that there are quite a few ferrel folk about........ but I guess you will get that anywhere.
I would advise you to come up and have a look though. For us its the right place to be, but I guess its not for everyone.
Let me know if I can be of any help with your plans.
Angela
Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Sarah, when do you arrive in Hervey Bay? Let us know if you fancy meeting up when you arrive.
Cookster has given a very good summary of the place. My hubby and I are mid 30's, no kids and we find enough to do here.
At lot of the expats (and obviously the locals too!) settle in Hervey Bay cos they like the fishing and boating lifestyle, several of our friends own boats and nobody seems to take life too seriously here, which I love.
There seem to be plenty of family events & festivals here, as in, Whale Festival, Seafood Festival, Pier Festival, Cultural Festival, etc...which are great days with stalls, music, food etc...
We are off to the picnic races next Saturday with Cookster and some other expat mates. This is a local country racing event, some people go in jeans, some go in posh dresses with hats & facsinators, we had a blast last year.
A couple of new bars have opened or are about to open so there are lots of good eateries and the bar scene is starting to improve.
We rent right on the beach about 10 mins outside of the town centre for $350 a week, and lots of friends have large acreage properties which are great.
Downsides: sometimes I crave a "fix" of big city life, but as Cookster said the Sunshine Coast is 2 hours away, Brisbane 3 and half, so it is perfectly feasible to go for a weekend. Plenty of people drive to Brizzy and back in a day, although I wouldn't.
The mozzies can be bad and there are a fair few "bogans" or "ferals" as Cookster said. But there are many more young professional families and couples these days.
Unemployment is apparently bad here, but all the expats who have moved here have managed to get work. We have expats who are painters, social workers, mecanics, work in the bank (me) boilermakers, spraypainters, hairdressers, the list goes on.
Give it a go, hopefully see you soon.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Great place, crap weather has not stopped raining for weeks lol
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hey Sarah, when do you arrive in Hervey Bay? Let us know if you fancy meeting up when you arrive.
Cookster has given a very good summary of the place. My hubby and I are mid 30's, no kids and we find enough to do here.
At lot of the expats (and obviously the locals too!) settle in Hervey Bay cos they like the fishing and boating lifestyle, several of our friends own boats and nobody seems to take life too seriously here, which I love.
There seem to be plenty of family events & festivals here, as in, Whale Festival, Seafood Festival, Pier Festival, Cultural Festival, etc...which are great days with stalls, music, food etc...
We are off to the picnic races next Saturday with Cookster and some other expat mates. This is a local country racing event, some people go in jeans, some go in posh dresses with hats & facsinators, we had a blast last year.
A couple of new bars have opened or are about to open so there are lots of good eateries and the bar scene is starting to improve.
We rent right on the beach about 10 mins outside of the town centre for $350 a week, and lots of friends have large acreage properties which are great.
Downsides: sometimes I crave a "fix" of big city life, but as Cookster said the Sunshine Coast is 2 hours away, Brisbane 3 and half, so it is perfectly feasible to go for a weekend. Plenty of people drive to Brizzy and back in a day, although I wouldn't.
The mozzies can be bad and there are a fair few "bogans" or "ferals" as Cookster said. But there are many more young professional families and couples these days.
Unemployment is apparently bad here, but all the expats who have moved here have managed to get work. We have expats who are painters, social workers, mecanics, work in the bank (me) boilermakers, spraypainters, hairdressers, the list goes on.
Give it a go, hopefully see you soon.
Hey

Thanks for the reply, my partner and i went up this weekend just gone, we just stayed over saturday night we stayed in a back packers. shame about the weather i took my swin suit up (wishful thinking) but it wasnt has bad as the weather down in brisbane though. the place was really nice a real trip down memory lane ( last visited when back packing yrs ago ) was very pleased with the price of rentals saw a bedroomed house for $400 a week in brisbane you would get a 1 bedroom flat !!!!! we drove to a couple of areas that an easte agent told us about, Eli waters and somewhere else by the boat harbour, they were nice modern houses, very nice. the beach and the water front was loverly and that was in the rain !!!!! they seen to have all that we need, shops, cinemas, cafes and pubs !!!!!!! we went to an Irish bar on saturday night and then eat at the Italian next door.
We wont find out for definate until the new year if my partner will be stationed there and then we would move in April which would give me time to find a job, am a bit concerned about the unemployment though, i am a nurse so hopefully there will be something around.
It sounds like you have a good social life which is great, i will definatley let you know if we are moving up would be fab to meet up and make friends, im 33 and partner a couple of years younger. no children as yet so enjoy a good night out !!!! thanks for all the info a great help and am quite looking forward to the possiblity of the move !!!

Sarah
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds good Sarah, good luck with finding out whether your partner has been stationed here, everything must be a bit up in the air for you at the moment.
There are 2 expats here that are nurses so no doubt they can point you in the right direction for work.
Any other questions, just ask.
Hopefully see you soon.