Herne Hill, WA

Old May 13th 2006, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Herne Hill, WA

Hi. Any comments on housing projects and real estate developments in Herne Hill. It is one of the few suburbs in WA with median price of houses at AUD250K. Please also provide some comments on the neighbourhood. Thanks

Dave...
Old May 13th 2006, 7:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Herne Hill, WA

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Hi. Any comments on housing projects and real estate developments in Herne Hill. It is one of the few suburbs in WA with median price of houses at AUD250K. Please also provide some comments on the neighbourhood. Thanks

Dave...
Herne Hill - 6056. It's not a bad area; cheap because it's been a council housing area for some time (and might still be, for all I know), and is not far from the light industrial estate in Midvale.

Demographic information is as follows:

There are 10,314 separate houses in Herne Hill, or 86% of all dwellings. There are also 1,064 semi/terraces (9%) and 182 flats (2%). Of these, 37% are purchasing, 34% are fully owned and 23% are rented.

[...]

76% of people in Herne Hill are Australian-born, compared to 63% for the wider Perth area. Of the immigrants, most are from the United Kingdom (10%), then New Zealand (3%), Italy (2%), Croatia (1%) and Germany (1%).

[...]

The top 5 religious affiliations for residents of Herne Hill are: Catholic (32%), Anglican (25%), No Religion (25%), Uniting Church (4%) and Other Christian (3%).
Source.

There are plenty of alternative suburbs in the area (such as Stratton) which are also worth considering, and still very affordable. Click here for an example of properties in the immediate vicinity.

Having lived in Stratton for a year, I can recommend it as a good "entry level" suburb; quiet and green, with a small but useful shopping centre, a video shop, a servo, a good medical centre, and a couple of schools nearby. Largely inhabited by young families.

Click here for an example of properties in Stratton.

Best of luck with everything.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 13th 2006 at 7:45 am.
Old May 13th 2006, 1:30 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Herne Hill, WA

Dave...
We stayed in Herne Hill for the 1st couple of weeks, with a freind. Nice rural feel to the area, a long trek to the local store and no buses on the road where she lives, but the wineries were close.... so pretty good really!!

Our friend lives on about 5 acres with one neighbour across the paddock. If you like peace and quiet, have dogs and horses, you'll like the area.
Old May 13th 2006, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys for the invaluable feedback.

What about the following suburbs??
1. Brookdale
2. Geraldton
3. Forresrdale

Are these new and decent suburbs?? i.e. family oriented & no trouble from youths or gangs..... I was looking at Perth Road Map version 2004 and realised that there are quite a lot of land bank surrounding Brookdale & Forrestdale.... Do you think the developer will open the land for development??

What about the train from Perth to Mandurah.. when is this line operational? Where will this line end?? Rockingham??

Dave.....
Old May 13th 2006, 2:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Herne Hill, WA

1. Brookdale
2. Geraldton
3. Forresrdale

Are these new and decent suburbs?? i.e. family oriented & no trouble from youths or gangs..... I was looking at Perth Road Map version 2004 and realised that there are quite a lot of land bank surrounding Brookdale & Forrestdale.... Do you think the developer will open the land for development??

What about the train from Perth to Mandurah.. when is this line operational? Where will this line end?? Rockingham??

Dave.....
I've never been to Brookdale. Just realised that I have mates in Forrestdale; it's a nice semi-rural area not far from Armadale. A long way from Perth, though. Certainly not convenient for commuting. Unless, of course, you don't mind driving to Armadale and sitting on the train for as long as it takes to reach the CBD...

BTW, Geraldton is not a suburb, mate - it's a country town right out in the middle of nowhere! Hundreds of kilometres from Perth!

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 13th 2006 at 3:00 pm.
Old May 13th 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the line is due for competion this year and will end in Mandurah.

There's a lot of info on expats about Geraldton as one of the gals lives there and runs a hostel. If you do a search it should come up a lot. From recollection, it's a small country town where everyone knows everybody elses business !!
Old May 14th 2006, 12:42 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

1. Brookdale
2. Geraldton
3. Forresrdale

Dave.....
Just found this about Brookdale, it was a comment on another web site.... don't know if it's true????

Brookdale - 20 Oct 2003
Don't buy here if you want your children to survive to adulthood. The place has had all kinds of problems with chemical pollution. The kids here have all had alarmingly high rates of sickness .

Forrestdale
Approx distance to Perth city centre: 25 km
Median house price: $235,000 (REIWA June 2005)
Local Council: City of Armadale

Herne Hill
Approx distance to Perth city centre: 21 km
Local Council: City of Swan

Neil.
Old May 14th 2006, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys again for the feedback. To be frank, I do not mind staying in Currambine or Clarkson for that matter. I love the northern suburbs very much. The track ends in Clarkson and I reckon that it will be quite convenient. The draw back will be houses over there are above the AUD300K mark (beyond my budget). Damn! It would only cost AUD200K +/- for a decent house in Currambine 2 years ago.