Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

View Poll Results: Do you agree with what Buzzy said about successful emigrants?
Yes, Buzzy, you have hit the nail on the head.
55.07%
No, I think the opposite.
44.93%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

OK, my own personal theory.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

"People who complain a lot about the UK are less likely to be successful migrants to another country, as these people are predisposed to complaining and will complain no matter where they are. Conversely, people who are positive about the UK are more likely to be positive about a country they emigrate to, and are likely to have a better migration experience."

Fingers on buzzers - all vote NOW!

Buzzy
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:27 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

The yes/no answers we are given to choose from contradict each other so we cant really answer this! If i choose yes then i agree with your whole statement - if i choose no i also agree will your whole statement?

Perhaps it requires re - wording.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

I totally agree with Buzzy, people who are miserable in the Uk will be miserable wherever they live, Australia has the same problems as the Uk mostly, you still have bills to pay, still have to work, still have housework to do etc, only the sunshines and the sky is blue most of the time!
Rach x
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

"People who complain a lot about the UK are less likely to be successful migrants to another country, as these people are predisposed to complaining and will complain no matter where they are. Conversely, people who are positive about the UK are more likely to be positive about a country they emigrate to, and are likely to have a better migration experience."

Buzzy
Nope - we liked the UK wanted to try Oz - didn't settle, didn't like it, don't like the people, don't like the culture. Came back - end of. Simple really and debunks your theory I'm afraid.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:32 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy
Not so sure BB... I often think that some people spend a lot of time complaining about things in the UK without fully realising that Oz has all the ills of a western country as well... And when they find that out it can be a bit of a disappointment...! Best to leave for what you want to find not for what you wish to leave behind...

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there are other factors as well but you've definitely nailed one of them.

I've always loved the places I've lived even if most people look down on some of them (e.g. Bermondsey in London). I tend to concentrate on the positives (or beauty) of a place rather than the negatives.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 25th 2007 at 8:41 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Haley & Craig is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that you are more likely to settle if you feel like you have come to somewhere better and now have a better life. Just because you may have complained about the UK, doesn't mean you'll compalin about Australia if you feel that for you and your family, life is better here.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:39 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if those people that are leaving the UK to escape bad weather, crime, out of control teens etc, find themselves somewhat disillusioned to find the things that they ran away from in the UK, are there in a different form in Oz.

And the swimming pool and 4 bedroomed house make them question if it was a fair trade.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Mar 25th 2007 at 8:46 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:44 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

I don't think it's that simple, from what I have read here and what I know about people I'd say everyone is different then multiply that by the size of the family, your upbringing and your experiences when you arrive plus the reactions of those you leave behind then you are getting there.

Nothing is black and white in life though your own attitude is a major factor I guess.

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:53 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Depends why your doing it. Not everybody makes the move with the goal of staying 'no matter what'. Perhaps that is the problem and the reason it doesnt work. If you say i will give it 3 years and if i dont like it i'll go home then you are under no pressure to make it work.

Not sure it is always the lure of the big house and pool! Although that is how it is sold to us.

But if your 40, a workaholic, a boring fart with no hobbies in your home country and then need to do the hours in OZ to afford the status house and pool then it isnt going to work.

My thoughts anyway
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:57 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy
No, I don't agree - and this is why:

I think your question rather presupposes that people complain for no good reason. Take the example of someone who complained about the overcrowding, the weather, the ghettos near them etc in the UK: valid complaints perhaps.

I see no reason why they wouldn't be content in Oz any more than they might be content to move to a different area in the UK.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Nope - we liked the UK wanted to try Oz - didn't settle, didn't like it, don't like the people, don't like the culture. Came back - end of. Simple really and debunks your theory I'm afraid.
spot on..us too! hello..."culture"?! oh yes I know there is some, just not my kinda thang

p.s where we moved to in Oz was glorious, but short stay only.I am just an English country girl at heart

Last edited by seasprite; Mar 25th 2007 at 10:20 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've said that for ages Buzzy.
If you complain about the U.K you'll end up complaining about Australia.
It just means your predisposed to whining about stuff. I'm not sure if that's going top make you settle in Australia any better or worse.
We read on the forum about how people are leaving the U.K because of Tony Blair, taxes, Immigrants, the weather or chavs, here we have Little Johnny H, taxes, immigrants, the weather & ferals. It's not really that different and if you complain about one you'll end up complaining about the reciprocal here in Australia.
A better question would possibly be; "Were you happy in the U.K and came to Australia just because you fancied a change?"
When we came out it was because my Dad was battling cancer out here, we came to spend time with him. For us there was no time or spare emotion to set us thinking about whether we liked it or not. We just got on with life and work here as we had to. Dad beat the big C eventually, though by then we were happy enough to stay here until whenever.
As it turns out we as a family all love it here, not because we hated the U.K but because Australia is different and offers new challenges and experiences.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Said similar things in my blog a few months ago. Quick cut and paste...

The problem (or advantage, depending on how you look at it) of emigrating - is that you take yourself with you. I read some of the posts on this forum and find myself giving the poster a maximum duration 'score' for their stay in Oz. Six months, I might think to myself ... three months at the most ... they're not going to get much further than two weeks, I ponder. I'm all for fresh starts, but it's still you moving, with your same attitudes and hang-ups and life rules.
Now. Let me qualify all that. I don't think the 'Oz is going to be paradise on earth' posters are the ones who'll suffer most. Not because Oz *is* paradise on earth, either. Those folks might be naive, but they generally come across as 'glass half full' types and in my opinion (based on reading the often raw thoughts of people at all stages in the emigration process) I reckon that's a useful attitude to have. Optimism will serve you far better than pessimism, when you're starting your entire life from scratch, 12000 miles from everything you've ever known.
I reckon that those folks most likely to return quickly are the ones who are heavily reliant on friends and family. Doesn't need much further explaination. If you've got a wide social circle, can always get a babysitter, had to extend your mantelpiece to fit all the xmas cards on and you're emigrating because it's an adventure then cancel the flights, take the house off the market and try white-water rafting instead.
The next group of likely returnees are the serial complainers. I've come to realise that they were almost certainly exactly the same back in the UK. This comes back to my 'you take yourself with you' argument. These people didn't suddenly turn into raving haters - they probably pissed and whined about everything in the UK too.
Then there's the 'What the ****, Australia is a foreign country' crew. I think I've heard it all on BE, but 'England with sunshine' probably sums up what they thought they were getting. There's this misconception, that because Australians speak a form of English, because they drive on the left, because most of the social and economic institutions at local, state and federal level are based almost completely on a British model, because it's still part of the Commonwealth and because they like their beer - that anyone from the UK will be able to slot straight into society here.

Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Why emigrate to Australia if everything in the UK is so great?

I moaned about the crappy weather, Tony Blair, lousy transport etc... all the time.

I've been here over 4 years, no intention of living in the UK again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.