Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here and still posting...... Why?

Here and still posting...... Why?

Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:13 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here and still posting...... Why?

Sorry you guys who are still waiting, this ones mainly aimed at those of us who are already here or been here done that and got the T-shirt and still posting. Aside from the obvious profound defenders of all things Aust or U.K.

Why do you continue to post?

For me it's a case of putting a little back into a forum I received a lot of support from during the long wait for the visas. Coupled with the fact that I'm not much of a TV watcher and find myself sitting here at the PC typing up quotes, invoices, Bas statements etc. etc. most nights, expats provides a little light relief from that. I should also add that I've met some good mates on the forum as well
Oh ok so I'm an addict but I'm curious
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Here and still posting...... Why?

Pure addiction for me...plain n simple

Oh, and I thought I would just stay indoors 24/7 and not go out and build a life and see the good things Australia has to offer so in a few months I can report on here how this place has no culture, is backwards and the worse place in the world to live...

Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Sorry you guys who are still waiting, this ones mainly aimed at those of us who are already here or been here done that and got the T-shirt and still posting. Aside from the obvious profound defenders of all things Aust or U.K.

For me it's a case of putting a little back into a forum I received a lot of support from during the long wait for the visas. Coupled with the fact that I'm not much of a TV watcher and find myself sitting here at the PC typing up quotes, invoices, Bas statements etc. etc. most nights, expats provides a little light relief from that. I should also add that I've met some good mates on the forum as well
well, I got the t-shirt, brought it home to show my mum and now going back for another!
I'm still here partly cos of addiction and some days, expats is the only time I get to converse with an adult (apart from my husband... ). Plus of course, when we go backto Melbourne, I'll be asking Qs all over again (except this time I know my TV works in Oz cos I haven't had it re-tuned since being back in UK!)

I don't contribute about Melbourne anymore as my knowledge is now out of date but I'm still very much in touch with the emotional side of emigrating, and the difficult decisions we have to make re staying in Oz/going back to UK. I still get a lot of PMs asking me about my return, how do I feel now Im back in UK, how hard was it to return etc. There are a lot of people going thru the same emotions I went thru so I hope I am giving back some of what I took from this forum when I was living in Oz and needed support in going back (to have the baby).

I think it's sad that those who are having a hard time in Oz are given a hard time by people on the forum. ANyone who's been thru the process knows that not everyday is a dream and that there are days when yes, Australia does feel like the crappiest place in the world to live. We all have ups and downs and we should be able to voice them without being told we aren't doing enough to help ourselves. It's easy to sit from afar and say "get a grip, get out and do something" but the reality can be a little more challenging than that. Besides, most people are getting out and doing something - doesn't mean the downtimes won't hit you.

I've also been asked "why are you still here" and "shouldn't you be out enjoying your fabulous life in the UK". Well, just cos I post doesn't mean I don't have a happy and fulfilling life. BE makes me smile, gives me things to think about, people to chat too. Doesn't mean I'm glued to my monitor 24/7 with no life. I have a baby who takes up most of my time, but sometimes, I just need to escape from Winnie-the-Pooh
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:28 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here, I'm happy, I'm busy(for what I was used to), and I'm not even British!!! Why am I still posting?

Addicted, made friends here, interesting.... I like to help if I can, though unfortunetly can't much anymore with visa's, because my info's mostly out of date, and memory loss....

And because I see this forum as people IN Oz talking about Oz lifestyle, not just about moving TO Oz.

Oh, and I've got time leftover at work... I think I maybe would've kicked off if I hadn't been able to go at work, I'm mostly on at work, hardly not in the weekend.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57

I've no profound reason for still posting here. I suppose I owe a bit to the forum for their advice before we came over, so I want to repay that. As I said before, we only found this forum after we had done all the hard work with visas and all that, so I don't feel the debt to the forum is that huge. Also we had worked here previously on and of for a couple of years so no big suprises.

I guess I still read and post here cos Mrs JTL does , shes made good friends here , so I always have a wee look to see whats going on, and anything that pops up that I think I can help or give an opinion on I post.

Told you, not profound

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Very good posts from those above.

I'm here cos no-one likes me in real life.
I am a loner, an outcast of society, a lonely lion

When they see me coming they say "oh shite, ahem, is that the time ? sorry Bix, I must go".
Da Boss has no choice cos she can't drag the heavy ball very far.
The kids have no choice cos they haven't worked out how to get out of the straightjackets.
You buggas have no choice cos this is a virtual world.

Oh, but you may all have me on ignore
Shite, I could be talking to myself.
Feeling very lonely again
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:11 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

I'm here cos no-one likes me in real life.
And you think things are different here, how, exactly?
Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:15 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

I have a quick look and see who is asking what and reply if I know the answer or can help, I believe in putting something back for all the info/assistance that I obtained on the way here.

Also I'm bored at work sometimes

Paul J
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:18 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

And why am I here?

No idea, really - must be addicted.

I found this forum after I had been here for a couple of years, followed a link from a completely different forum (about skiing) where someone asked about spouse visas and was directed here and I thought "hmm, I really should apply for one of those" so I came and had a look. Then I noticed some of the people were asking bizarre questions and people here were giving even more bizarre answers so I started giving information (or flippant comments) whenever I felt I had something to offer (400 posts in 19 months - so not that often).

I would post more but MrsD tends to answer things better and sooner.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
A very polite way of putting it
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Cheers,

DagBoy

Yeah exactly, same here. The amount of my wisdom this forum has lost cos Mrs JTL stuck her beak in before me.....

Gotta go now

Jtl
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Why am I still posting? To annoy people?? No, seriously, the old reason of owing a lot to the forum, and so wanting to help people coming over now. Plus I have made a lot of friends through here, some of whom I will probably never meet in person, and this is a good way of keeping in touch.
I have a husband addicted to the TV - thats fine, no problem there, he surfs Foxtel, while I surf Expats, and that gives us two things to talk about during power cuts!
Then I am also the kind of person that likes "people-watching" - you know, I'll sit in a pub and observe people's behaviour, and differeing ways of relating to each other. If you translate that onto the forum, you have just about every psychological study you could ever wish for, laid out in front of you. I don't mean that in a nasty way, its just that everyone is different and reacts differently to new things and to each other, and once you follow someones posts for a while it gives you a fascinating picture of that character - mot necessarily of the real person (as some people betray little or create a new personality for posting) but of the "forum persona"
As the doctor said in Fawlty Towers - "There's enough material here for an entire conference!"
Old Jan 31st 2005, 1:00 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jacko1
I have a quick look and see who is asking what and reply if I know the answer or can help, I believe in putting something back for all the info/assistance that I obtained on the way here.

Also I'm bored at work sometimes

Paul J
Ditto Paul,

Except that I get bored at home sometimes - I'm not working yet!

Elaine M
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:26 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why am I still posting? To annoy people?? No, seriously, the old reason of owing a lot to the forum, and so wanting to help people coming over now. Plus I have made a lot of friends through here, some of whom I will probably never meet in person, and this is a good way of keeping in touch.
I have a husband addicted to the TV - thats fine, no problem there, he surfs Foxtel, while I surf Expats, and that gives us two things to talk about during power cuts!
Then I am also the kind of person that likes "people-watching" - you know, I'll sit in a pub and observe people's behaviour, and differeing ways of relating to each other. If you translate that onto the forum, you have just about every psychological study you could ever wish for, laid out in front of you. I don't mean that in a nasty way, its just that everyone is different and reacts differently to new things and to each other, and once you follow someones posts for a while it gives you a fascinating picture of that character - mot necessarily of the real person (as some people betray little or create a new personality for posting) but of the "forum persona"
As the doctor said in Fawlty Towers - "There's enough material here for an entire conference!"
LOL Pollyanna, just like our house

No I am like HP also as we do intend a return to Australia, abeit in a few years time so keeping my hand in where I can, offering any advice or support as like many been there and done it, can share the highs and lows.

Plus it is funny watching the usual idiots scrap over immigration policy, the price of fish la de dar!!

M

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I joined this forum after Dagboy did - I used to say to him "What are you reading?" & he would reply "You wouldnt believe some of the things some people are saying in answer to questions - I think they must live in a different Australia to us!" . So I started looking &, sure enough, there were people postig the most bizzarre answers to the most simple questions. I felt very sorry for those posting the questions that they werent getting the truth.

And nothings much has changed - there are still people who post here merely for the effect it has on those still waiting & to cause grief. You can pick them out very easily - they rarely actually post anything of true value, only comments about why people dont realise fact x. Ive lost count of the number of times Ive been told " You know, I was expecting to come out here & find XYZ cos thats what so & so said on the forum, but its just not true!"

So Im still here, trying to help - silly git that I am!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.