Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here and loving it - The experience so far

Here and loving it - The experience so far

Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here and loving it - The experience so far

We arrived last Sunday morning to a cold, rainy miserable Brisbane.After 25 hours of travelling we couldn't get into our apartment for another 5 hours. So we wandered round Newstead for a couple of hours until I completely crashed and couldn't take it any more! We came back to the apartment and asked the Manager if we could sit in our car in the underground parking and we must have looked rough because he said we could go up to the apartment even though the cleaner was still in there. Bless her, she rushed to get one room ready so we could go and sleep in there while she cleaned the rest. At this point I was so overtired I was hallucinating and ready to puke! This was the lowest point so far and I just kept thinking, how the hell did we get here and what have I done? I really didn't think I could get over this, I felt completely devastated and alone. I can't explain that first feeling when you get here and the realisation hits you that you are so far from what you know and the total unfamiliarity. The best advice I can give from my experience is to be prepared for this which combined with jetlag has got to be the worst I have ever felt in my life. When I finally managed to get to sleep I was out for 14 hours straight, woke up and everything seemed so much better
We've looked around quite a bit and another bit of advice? Although this site is really great and useful, don't take what people say as gospel. You really can't decide on a place to live without coming over and seeing for yourself. Its funny driving round and seeing all these places you have heard of and seen on realestate.com.au. You really will be surprised at how different some of these places are, and how far in the middle of nowhere some are too! As I will be here mostly on my own with my two teenage daughters we have decided to stay close to the CBD until we really get to know the place and feel more at home. That decision suits us but may not be for everyone. We still need to drive up to the Sunshine Coast and look at Caloundra SHS as this was our choice of school in that area.
Speaking of schools - When I was over in the UK this was the big question I was always asking on BE. We chose 6 to look at in different areas (bayside, inner, N Brissy, S Brissy, Beach - To get a full perspective) Out of those 6 we have already visited 5 and have 3 possibles. Two are bayside (Wynnum SHS, Cleveland SHS) and one is inner city (Kedron SHS). I must admit In my head I thought we would move further out and have the big house and pool, but we walked into Kedron and straight away my daughters got a really positive vibe from the place, so we may be moving inner city where the houses are smaller and more expensive. Another bit of advice - Make sure you pick a couple of schools at least to come and see because the worst thing that can happen is for your already stroppy hormonal teenagers to be miserable.
My overall experience so far? Everyone is genuinely really nice and interested and I don't feel like an outsider at all, I really feel like its my home already.
Negative- Oh my god, people drive like maniacs!!!! I have to learn to drive and I thought it would be easier here. I am now scared witless. No one ever stops for anyone else and they drive right up your arxe. Although funnily enough most of the culprits seem to be old aussie men with attitude which I can't help but find quite funny
Anyway, I hope this helps someone,anyone out there, it certainly helped me writing it!
I will keep you all posted on how we get on.Best of luck to everyone - By the way, the sun is shining today
Kelly and girls xxxxxx
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice
Default Re: Here and loving it - The experience so far

Hi Kelly
Thanks for this post - I love to hear how people cope with arriving and settling in. I'm glad everything seemed much better after you'd caught up on some sleep. You have done loads already. Keep us updated!
Sue
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kelly

I can identify with that feeling of 'what have I done'. as that hit me after being here about 4 days. I too am here most of the time by myself with two of my children and live bayside. I am used to being here by myself now, but it will be good when my husband can finally move here more permanently. I hope you find somewhere you will feel comfortable living as it makes all the difference.

Amanda
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:23 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Great post.............thanks for taking the time to write it. Glad the jet lag has subsided and that you are enjoying your first couple of weeks.
Good luck with the house hunting and have a great life.

We are following you out there in 4 weeks so we have all these feelings to 'look forward' to.

Loz x
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Hi Kelly

Hope all is going well, keep us informed.

Mick n Claire
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great post. Glad you are settling in and finding your feet.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kellyjs
We arrived last Sunday morning to a cold, rainy miserable Brisbane.After 25 hours of travelling we couldn't get into our apartment for another 5 hours. So we wandered round Newstead for a couple of hours until I completely crashed and couldn't take it any more! We came back to the apartment and asked the Manager if we could sit in our car in the underground parking and we must have looked rough because he said we could go up to the apartment even though the cleaner was still in there. Bless her, she rushed to get one room ready so we could go and sleep in there while she cleaned the rest. At this point I was so overtired I was hallucinating and ready to puke! This was the lowest point so far and I just kept thinking, how the hell did we get here and what have I done? I really didn't think I could get over this, I felt completely devastated and alone. I can't explain that first feeling when you get here and the realisation hits you that you are so far from what you know and the total unfamiliarity. The best advice I can give from my experience is to be prepared for this which combined with jetlag has got to be the worst I have ever felt in my life. When I finally managed to get to sleep I was out for 14 hours straight, woke up and everything seemed so much better
We've looked around quite a bit and another bit of advice? Although this site is really great and useful, don't take what people say as gospel. You really can't decide on a place to live without coming over and seeing for yourself. Its funny driving round and seeing all these places you have heard of and seen on realestate.com.au. You really will be surprised at how different some of these places are, and how far in the middle of nowhere some are too! As I will be here mostly on my own with my two teenage daughters we have decided to stay close to the CBD until we really get to know the place and feel more at home. That decision suits us but may not be for everyone. We still need to drive up to the Sunshine Coast and look at Caloundra SHS as this was our choice of school in that area.
Speaking of schools - When I was over in the UK this was the big question I was always asking on BE. We chose 6 to look at in different areas (bayside, inner, N Brissy, S Brissy, Beach - To get a full perspective) Out of those 6 we have already visited 5 and have 3 possibles. Two are bayside (Wynnum SHS, Cleveland SHS) and one is inner city (Kedron SHS). I must admit In my head I thought we would move further out and have the big house and pool, but we walked into Kedron and straight away my daughters got a really positive vibe from the place, so we may be moving inner city where the houses are smaller and more expensive. Another bit of advice - Make sure you pick a couple of schools at least to come and see because the worst thing that can happen is for your already stroppy hormonal teenagers to be miserable.
My overall experience so far? Everyone is genuinely really nice and interested and I don't feel like an outsider at all, I really feel like its my home already.
Negative- Oh my god, people drive like maniacs!!!! I have to learn to drive and I thought it would be easier here. I am now scared witless. No one ever stops for anyone else and they drive right up your arxe. Although funnily enough most of the culprits seem to be old aussie men with attitude which I can't help but find quite funny
Anyway, I hope this helps someone,anyone out there, it certainly helped me writing it!
I will keep you all posted on how we get on.Best of luck to everyone - By the way, the sun is shining today
Kelly and girls xxxxxx
Kelly

Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it. Please keep us updated with your progress - particularly interested to hear how your kids settle

All the very best for your futures.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:58 am
Vicki Herron

vickiherron10 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi kelly, i arrived in melbourne almost 3 months ago now! absoloutly loving it so far! the people are so friendly and helpful. felt a bit homesick the past few weeks but i just keep telling myself of the oppurtunites out here compared to bk in england. i am currently at RMIT studying Graphic Arts and ive settled in really well. i must admit it has been hard for me because being 19, i miss all my mates i used to go partying with etc. but whats to say i cant make new ones here! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!!! Take care and keep smiling!! Vicki xx
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:57 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Its good to hear you got there safely and that things seem more positive.

Hope it continue to pick up !

Gillian
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Kelly and girls xxxxxx
Good thread, keep them coming. Always good to hear how people are getting on. All the best in your new life J
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone :-) We are amost reaching the end of our first week in Brissy and what a week its been. We have travelled miles looking around!!! (sorry Km lol)
I found the best place in the world yesterday, a place called Beerwah which is overlooked by the glasshouse mountains. The family weren't too impressed though as they thought it was a bit TOO remote and we didn't get to meet the locals so it could have been grim (I'm thinking Wolf Creek here). But in terms of going to a place and being blown away, this did it for me. The sunshine coast wasn't really us at all, I'm not slating it, each to their own.
So now we are down to bayside or Southern Brissy suburbs so at least we have a 30km radius to decide on rather than the whole of Queensland!! The girls actually have a place in Wynnum SHS but they aren't quite sure about it. We love Cleveland but the State High school is a bit pants as they can't even be bothered to ring me back and arrange an appointment to see me, despite me ringing them and going to the school already!! Walking down a muddy path to get to the reception through porta-cabin like classrooms wasn't exactly very impressive either. As we like Cleveland so much we are now thinking...shock horror..of sending the girls to Ormiston College as it seems to have a good rep and is only one stop on the train. All that money for the house and pool seems to be drifting away....I reluctantly went for my first job interview yesterday. I applied for a job online and the recruitment consultant called me to say it had gone but he had another that suited my skills. I turned up jetlagged and was so relaxed I was chatting away about total rubbish, needless to say I didn't get it! ah well, plenty of time yet I suppose (or at least I hope) If anyone has any info on Ormiston college\Cleveland\Wynnum\Corinda or Kedron SHS's all gratefully recieved!!!
Kelly xxx
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Sounds like you're finding your feet Glad you're getting on with things, the more you get sorted, the better and more settled you'll start to feel. And when the sun decides to come out for more than 10 minutes, the world always seems a better place
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Congratulations on making the move. I can't offer any advice that's better than you've already done. Have some "Welcome to QLD" karma!
Old Sep 16th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone :-) We are amost reaching the end of our first week in Brissy and what a week its been. We have travelled miles looking around!!! (sorry Km lol)
I found the best place in the world yesterday, a place called Beerwah which is overlooked by the glasshouse mountains. The family weren't too impressed though as they thought it was a bit TOO remote and we didn't get to meet the locals so it could have been grim (I'm thinking Wolf Creek here). But in terms of going to a place and being blown away, this did it for me. The sunshine coast wasn't really us at all, I'm not slating it, each to their own.
So now we are down to bayside or Southern Brissy suburbs so at least we have a 30km radius to decide on rather than the whole of Queensland!! The girls actually have a place in Wynnum SHS but they aren't quite sure about it. We love Cleveland but the State High school is a bit pants as they can't even be bothered to ring me back and arrange an appointment to see me, despite me ringing them and going to the school already!! Walking down a muddy path to get to the reception through porta-cabin like classrooms wasn't exactly very impressive either. As we like Cleveland so much we are now thinking...shock horror..of sending the girls to Ormiston College as it seems to have a good rep and is only one stop on the train. All that money for the house and pool seems to be drifting away....I reluctantly went for my first job interview yesterday. I applied for a job online and the recruitment consultant called me to say it had gone but he had another that suited my skills. I turned up jetlagged and was so relaxed I was chatting away about total rubbish, needless to say I didn't get it! ah well, plenty of time yet I suppose (or at least I hope) If anyone has any info on Ormiston college\Cleveland\Wynnum\Corinda or Kedron SHS's all gratefully recieved!!!
Kelly xxx

Can't give you any info on Ormiston College yet, as my daughter doesn't start there till next year. But from what we have learnt about it, it has an excellent reputation. We discovered at our interview that they seem strict about uniform and stuff, which my daughter is quite happy about, as she likes her definite boundaries.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mand8002
Can't give you any info on Ormiston College yet, as my daughter doesn't start there till next year. But from what we have learnt about it, it has an excellent reputation. We discovered at our interview that they seem strict about uniform and stuff, which my daughter is quite happy about, as she likes her definite boundaries.
Thanks for the info, we are going on Monday as we have pretty much decided to Cleveland now. My daughters definitely need somewhere strict! I thought about waiting until January before they started but I don't think my sanity could cope lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.