Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Helpful website - maps and directories

Wikiposts

Helpful website - maps and directories

Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:01 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Helpful website - maps and directories

I found a really good website the other day - www.showmeaussie.com
where you can order street directories, maps and guides for fishing/ 4wd etc. Think it may be the only way that you can order these from the UK.

Kris xx
Old Jul 15th 2006, 4:49 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helpful website - maps and directories

The owner (heppy) advertised the site here a week ago, pretending she had "found" it and got banned by Sue for illegal advertising. Yes, the stuff sold on the site looks good, but you have to ask yourself why they need to use such shoddy business practices (lying).

Gina
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:32 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
The owner (heppy) advertised the site here a week ago, pretending she had "found" it and got banned by Sue for illegal advertising. Yes, the stuff sold on the site looks good, but you have to ask yourself why they need to use such shoddy business practices (lying).

Gina
Didn't realise that!!! But then again - I'm not sure that I'd call drumming up business - a shoddy business practice - especially if it's a new site, you need all the advertising you can get - I suppose it just didn't work out quite as expected for Heppy. I'd still place an order!!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Didn't realise that!!! But then again - I'm not sure that I'd call drumming up business - a shoddy business practice - especially if it's a new site, you need all the advertising you can get - I suppose it just didn't work out quite as expected for Heppy. I'd still place an order!!
That's what I was thinking! Me and hubby trudged round Cambridge one Saturday a couple of years ago trying to find some decent Australian maps and ended up paying about £36 for something that wasn't really that useful. If I'd known about that online map site I would have saved myself the bother. Not sure how giving out a useful website can be construed as "shoddy".
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:09 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind the rest.
This one is the best.

http://zoomin.com.au/?page/home

Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:21 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YFitz
Not sure how giving out a useful website can be construed as "shoddy".
You misunderstood me. I didn't mean that giving out a useful website is "shoddy". What was shoddy was the fact that she lied: she said she had "found" the website and was looking forward to receiving the map she had ordered from the website, when in fact she was the owner of the website.- She should have just said "hey guys, I've sourced all these maps and travel books and you can order them from my website".

I ordered some maps and books before it came out that she had lied. Just hope my stuff turns up. The fact that she had lied made me wonder whether she'd do a runner with the money.

Gina
Old Jul 16th 2006, 4:49 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

While were on the subject, does anyone know of a site where we can order decent Oz maps and guides here in the UK (Please dont quote Amazon, Waterstones etc because I mean REAL ozzy guides like UBD Street Atlases etc) I went to Waterstones and they cant get latest editions and stock virtually no travel literature on Ox ecept Lonely Planet/Footprint/Discovery stuff - a bit like the generic stuff on the website mentioned in this thread??

Ta,

Diane
Old Jul 16th 2006, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dianej
While were on the subject, does anyone know of a site where we can order decent Oz maps and guides here in the UK (Please dont quote Amazon, Waterstones etc because I mean REAL ozzy guides like UBD Street Atlases etc) I went to Waterstones and they cant get latest editions and stock virtually no travel literature on Ox ecept Lonely Planet/Footprint/Discovery stuff - a bit like the generic stuff on the website mentioned in this thread??

Ta,

Diane
Try this one http://www.pomsdownunder.com/products/Maps.aspx Delivery from UK so very fast. We were really happy with service. The migrant's guide is invaluable too.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:13 am
Banned

Ta,

Diane
Hi Diane,

I ordered my UBD Perth Street Atlas from http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au

Gina
Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:13 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Try this one http://www.pomsdownunder.com/products/Maps.aspx Delivery from UK so very fast. We were really happy with service. The migrant's guide is invaluable too.

Thanks for that! Have found some of these books/maps already (and hate to say it but cheaper on Amazon than these prices) particularl after 6th Edition (2006) Street Directory for Melbourne. Ive ordered the dangerous creatures though so I am FULLY prepared! (Must remember to pack magnifying glass!)
Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:17 am
Im here!!!!!!

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Diane,

I ordered my UBD Perth Street Atlas from http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au

Gina

PERFECT! Thats the one! Did you order from UK?
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:42 am
Happy Member

Ta,

Diane
Hi Dianne,
You can order maps and books etc on Oz through the website from the UK - I know because a mate of mine in the UK ordered - AND RECEIVED her books, www.showmeaussie.com. I don;t think you'll have anything to worry about there - my mate was well chuffed with her stuff.
I feel a bit sorry for Heppy - they seem to have come under fire a bit - I didn;t think that you were offically allowed to advertise on this site - therefore wouldn't that be the only way to give it a mention?? maybe I'm going soft in my old age!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Thanks for that! Have found some of these books/maps already (and hate to say it but cheaper on Amazon than these prices) particularl after 6th Edition (2006) Street Directory for Melbourne. Ive ordered the dangerous creatures though so I am FULLY prepared! (Must remember to pack magnifying glass!)
I tried ordering from Amazon but after waiting 4 weeks and order still saying it hadn't been dispatched I gave up!!!!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 7:39 am
Banned

PERFECT! Thats the one! Did you order from UK?
Yes, I ordered from the UK. They were very effeicient. Emailed me next morning (when Oz was awake and I was asleep) with the courier costs. I then emailed them back to say I wanted them to go ahead. A few days later, it arrived.

Gina
Old Jul 17th 2006, 7:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kris maynard
a mate of mine in the UK ordered - AND RECEIVED her books, www.showmeaussie.com. I don;t think you'll have anything to worry about there
Good to know that. I *am* looking forward to getting my books and maps. Heppy has certainly done an excellent job with sourcing her items. Some of the maps and books you can get from other websites as well. But some of the stuff on her website, I couldn't see anywhere else. It will help me getting my "Oz fix" until we get to go next year.

Gina