Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP worried mum

HELP worried mum

Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:35 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default HELP worried mum

as you guys know I am the proud my mum of three year old twins who are very lively. I posted briefly about this last week. We are hoping to migrate to Brisbane end of this year, however my worry is that having pre-schoolers can be isolating as everything is dictated by their routine - plus there is the fact that everywhere you go so do two small children - my worry is that when Mr D goes to work I will be lonely - anyway that is why we are trying to find an area in Brissie which is good for this age group - at the moment I take them to mums and tots so would like to do that there - also they go to playgroup on there own for a couple of hours a few times a week - do they have these in Oz - if so anyone got any good ideas for places in Brissie - also in u.k. there are lots of groups like tumble tots and wacky warehouse do these exist in OZ? On top of this did anyone manage to find babysitters in Oz - as it would be nice to have the occassionl nite out with mr D.

One last question do you get Child benefit in australia - does everyone get like you do here?

Sorry I know I am asking a lot of questions, but any help would be great

Thanks
Nicole
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:51 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP worried mum

Originally posted by diddy
as you guys know I am the proud my mum of three year old twins who are very lively. I posted briefly about this last week. We are hoping to migrate to Brisbane end of this year, however my worry is that having pre-schoolers can be isolating as everything is dictated by their routine - plus there is the fact that everywhere you go so do two small children - my worry is that when Mr D goes to work I will be lonely - anyway that is why we are trying to find an area in Brissie which is good for this age group - at the moment I take them to mums and tots so would like to do that there - also they go to playgroup on there own for a couple of hours a few times a week - do they have these in Oz - if so anyone got any good ideas for places in Brissie - also in u.k. there are lots of groups like tumble tots and wacky warehouse do these exist in OZ? On top of this did anyone manage to find babysitters in Oz - as it would be nice to have the occassionl nite out with mr D.

One last question do you get Child benefit in australia - does everyone get like you do here?

Sorry I know I am asking a lot of questions, but any help would be great

Thanks
Nicole

someone must be able to help - pleaseeee
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Cant help on the first one..

Child Benefit....So long as on PR visa , you are entitled to to this from day one.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:55 am
scoobydoo

Hello!
I'm in Melbourne with a school age child but a friend down the road takes her kids to a kindergarten, singing, things like tumbletots, the parks are great, and she has made friends through all these. I'm sure Brisbane will be similar. Children help you make friends so I don't think you will be lonely.

There is a thing like child benefit...do a search on here and you will find the link to their website.

scoobs

Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:00 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

In Perth myself but I know that there are HEAPS of "Mums & tots" groups here to choose from.
I can't imagine it being much different.
Between playgroups, swim lessons and parks, you'll be meeting lots of people by proxy of the kiddos alone.

The first people I met here were all Mum's of the kids my children played with. Add that to all the friendly expats all over Australia and I'm sure that you'll have people to talk to who can relate to what you've done and what you'll be going through.

Best of luck!

Siren
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:12 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HELP worried mum

someone must be able to help - pleaseeee
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...s/pg_index.htm

Outlines what Centrelink can provide to families.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the links I provided on your other thread.

As a parent of three year olds you are more likely to have a problem of meeting too many new people than too few. Playgroups here are little voluntary registered things - basically a group of mums set one up, they are everywhere. The mums stay, make morning tea, tidy up, play etc. easy to join up an existing one

Things like Gymboree and various other gym tots type things againthe parents stay, similarly for the swim schools (you will be near one wherever you live)

I would join all three of these thngs, everyone else does.

Separately at 3 your kids should able to go to Kindy, typically around $400/term and for three days a week (9-2:30 is typical). At these you don't stay bu they welcome parent participation (and give you a refund if you do). More opportunity for meeting parents at drop off and pick up.

So that's four things where you'll meet different sets of parents - you'll be rushed off your feet. Meeting others in parks is very popular here, as is having morning tea (think coffeee moning but very informal - but do bring some food)

You are better placed as a parent of pre-schoolers to meet people. By the time you get them to school age you'll just Stop, Drop, Go

My wife has made a wider circle friends as a result of this, I only know people from work! All these things are widespread in Brisbane's westernsuburbs and I'm sure everywhere else too.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Location: Colchester Essex. Off to Perth in October 2004!! VISA granted 10/07/2004.
Modmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Take a look at the links I provided on your other thread.

As a parent of three year olds you are more likely to have a problem of meeting too many new people than too few. Playgroups here are little voluntary registered things - basically a group of mums set one up, they are everywhere. The mums stay, make morning tea, tidy up, play etc. easy to join up an existing one

Things like Gymboree and various other gym tots type things againthe parents stay, similarly for the swim schools (you will be near one wherever you live)

I would join all three of these thngs, everyone else does.

Separately at 3 your kids should able to go to Kindy, typically around $400/term and for three days a week (9-2:30 is typical). At these you don't stay bu they welcome parent participation (and give you a refund if you do). More opportunity for meeting parents at drop off and pick up.

So that's four things where you'll meet different sets of parents - you'll be rushed off your feet. Meeting others in parks is very popular here, as is having morning tea (think coffeee moning but very informal - but do bring some food)

You are better placed as a parent of pre-schoolers to meet people. By the time you get them to school age you'll just Stop, Drop, Go

My wife has made a wider circle friends as a result of this, I only know people from work! All these things are widespread in Brisbane's westernsuburbs and I'm sure everywhere else too.
Thanks for that jayr, we are hoping to be in Perth October 2004, and I to am a very anxious mum of two boys one aged five and the other aged one - it's nice to know that it will be home from home with loads of groups and mum's to meet.

It is daunting to think of other half going off out to work and that all the networking is up to us mum's in a country a million miles from what we know.

Can you confirm what age they move from Kindy to school - I have heard of something called pre-primary (is that another name for Kindy?) and am I right in thinking that school isn't compulsory until the age of 6?

I know of www.immi.gov.au/settle as a web page to view for school info any others would be useful and gratefully received.

Many thanks

Helen
Old Jul 14th 2004, 9:16 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

6-15 I believe, is the legal schooling ages in Australia. Used to be 14 and 9 months in NSW and 16 in Victoria but I think the states all aligned themselves.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:26 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally posted by Ulujain
6-15 I believe, is the legal schooling ages in Australia. Used to be 14 and 9 months in NSW and 16 in Victoria but I think the states all aligned themselves.

Thank you this has all been really great = it has really put my mind at ease - I guess I was just worrying that Mr D will go to work and there will be little me not knowing anyone or places to go - i might try to make that a top priority when we get there.

I really do feel a lot better about the whole thing now - it is funny but as mum you become very dependent on the support system that you build and the idea of not having that is scary - so thanks
Jayr still ploughing through the websites - does anyone know if there are any twins clubs in brisbane?
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Family benefit is means tested here. Some people earn to much and don't get anything.

You get an amount either every 2 weeks or a lump sum at the end of the financial year.

The other stupid thing is that you have to estimate your yearly income (for the weekly payments) If you under estimate you have to pay it back
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:50 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if there are any twins clubs in brisbane?

Here's one:

http://www.twinsrealm.com/
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:53 pm
Karma Comedian

and here's a link for the International Twin Studies Society (or similar):

http://www.ists.qimr.edu.au/member.html
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:55 pm
Karma Comedian

another Brisbane twins thing, that makes three now, triplets!

https://genepi.qimr.edu.au/index.html
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:59 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally posted by jayr
another Brisbane twins thing, that makes three now, triplets!

https://genepi.qimr.edu.au/index.html
wow, Jayr you are good at finding all this stuff - how do you do it - me I just know how to e-mail - lol

seriouly thanks you are a star, I really appreciate it - thank you very much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.