Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help! where to rent/buy within hours drive of Sydney

help! where to rent/buy within hours drive of Sydney

Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:11 am
Just Joined

lulabelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help! where to rent/buy within hours drive of Sydney

Can you help me ? I would like to live in the rural sydney area, for three months to escape our dark and grey winter here in england.

I would love to find a smallish lively scenic area, so I could paint, with lots of bird life, a beach or pool to swim in.

Any advice would really be appreciated
Big thankyous
Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! where to rent/buy within hours drive of Sydney

Originally Posted by lulabelle
Can you help me ? I would like to live in the rural sydney area, for three months to escape our dark and grey winter here in england.

I would love to find a smallish lively scenic area, so I could paint, with lots of bird life, a beach or pool to swim in.

Big thankyous
Well, rural doesn't usually equate to lively and if you drive away from Sydney in any direction for an hour - you find that you're still in Sydney.

If you want coastal, I'd recommend northern Central Coast area. It's more than an hour north, but anywhere closer is suburbs. Going south it's even worse, Sydney suburbs then National Park (no houses) then you're almost straight into Wollongong.

The Kiama area (south of Wollongong) is seriously scenic and a nice small town with things going on but over two hours drive away.

If you don't necessarily want coastal, you could try the Hawkesbury River area. There are some lovely small places on the river - you'd get scenic there but definitely not lively. Or the Blue Mountains would be an good alternative. Quite a bit happening, arty-crafty, heaps of birds but no beaches.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:47 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nickyc
Well, rural doesn't usually equate to lively and if you drive away from Sydney in any direction for an hour - you find that you're still in Sydney.
Just don't try to go east.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Big thankyous
Another suggestion is the blue mountains or in the foothills. A few people at work live at Springwood. You can get a train into the CBD from there but driving would be horrible. www.131500.com.au for public transport and www.whereis.com.au for directions. Whereis driving times and reality are 2 different matters. As nickyc points out Sydney burbs and country are not lively.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:03 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i was in a place called appin last weekend and the countryside was really nice. thats about an hours drive. well it was from the airport (without speeding)
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Big thankyous
You do sound like a Blue Mountains type of person But it's more than an hours drive to Sydney CBD.

http://www.bluemts.com.au/categories.asp?ID=223
http://www.wilmap.com.au/magazine/blue_mountains.html
http://www.bluemountains.org.au/index.shtml

Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by soapy
i was in a place called appin last weekend and the countryside was really nice. thats about an hours drive. well it was from the airport (without speeding)
Appin in an hour ? That's close to Picton, which I remember as being very nice.

Of course, they have built the M5 since I used to nip down to Picton.

http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWAppin.shtml

Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:47 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

yeh Abc it was about an hour and that was me taking myy time and getting lost once lol
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I sometimes drive to Chipping Norton for work. The traffic coming into the city on the m5 was always at a standstill. Going against the traffic was great. In the evening the traffic going back out of the city was at a standstill.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:54 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by bondipom
I sometimes drive to Chipping Norton for work. The traffic coming into the city on the m5 was always at a standstill. Going against the traffic was great. In the evening the traffic going back out of the city was at a standstill.
sounds just like the uk
Old Jan 15th 2005, 2:05 am
Master of verbal pish©

the next day we took the back road back to Campbelltown from Appin. this was a great drive and found some lovely countryside. it could be scotland if it had some more trees and wasnt so browny orange
its a great drive though and a nice place to live if u dont mind everyone knowing everything about u lol
Old Jan 15th 2005, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: help! where to rent/buy within hours drive of Sydney

Originally Posted by soapy
the next day we took the back road back to Campbelltown from Appin. this was a great drive and found some lovely countryside. it could be scotland if it had some more trees and wasnt so browny orange
its a great drive though and a nice place to live if u dont mind everyone knowing everything about u lol

Can't believe you came all the way out to our neck of the woods and never even stopped for a chat ! ( & bar-b-q ! )
We live not far from Campbelltown and your visit was mentioned in the local paper ! LOL !!!
Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:35 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Tass
Can't believe you came all the way out to our neck of the woods and never even stopped for a chat ! ( & bar-b-q ! )
We live not far from Campbelltown and your visit was mentioned in the local paper ! LOL !!!
aw sorry tass, if i had rmbred u lived there i would have popped in. your making me feel bad now lol
next time im out, we will visit. we were in Campbelltown 2 weeks before that too

soapy