Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! Where in Melbourne do we move to?!

HELP! Where in Melbourne do we move to?!

Old Nov 11th 2022, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Sgray1201 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP! Where in Melbourne do we move to?!

Hi there,
We are a family of four, children are 6 and 7, looking to come over I early January, near truganina as that's where my partners place of work is.

My question is what are the best family friendly suburbs nearby, say within 20 mins driving distance with good schools, sports facilities etc.

I was looking into Taylor lakes, Melton, Altona but I'll be honest I have no clue!

I am so stuck with where we should be looking and I feel so overwhelmed that I need to get this right!

Also can anyone help with primary school info? We are preferably looking into private but majority are Catholic schools?!

Appreciate any help that's offered!

Thanks in advance! 😊
Old Nov 14th 2022, 2:22 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! Where in Melbourne do we move to?!

I like the Bacchus Marsh / Gisborne / Sunbury areas, quite a rural vibe but public transport is pretty much non existant. Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Laverton areas have good links to the city but have a more built up / congested feeling.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! Where in Melbourne do we move to?!

Take an airbnb and then see where the property vacancies are that may be within your budget then do the eyeball test for the suburbs - just trawl a few shopping centres and coffee shops and if you get the "OMG I cant live here" vibe then move on to another place. Must say I always had a fairly negative view of Melton and would avoid like the plague but I am told it is improving (or maybe the folk I talked to who lived there were just being nice because they had no option). I'd be heading out towards Bacchus Marsh because it is more of a rural town than an endless suburb. My in-laws lived in Altona for a while but my nephew went to school in Geelong so they moved down closer to that - they both worked in that sort of area though and didnt seem fazed by the commute. The notion of "family friendly" makes me laugh, families live everywhere in Australia.