Reload this Page >

Help! Where to Live?

Help! Where to Live?

Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Lucie M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Where to Live?

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Mandurah, I know nothing about the place. I really want to live closer to Perth as have friends there so would love to hear from you all on good places to live which are easily commutable to Mandurah for work, but will get us to Perth easily and quickly. Any suggestions?
Also what is Mandurah like? Is there plenty to do? I have a 5 year old and a 6 month old so want to make sure there is plenty for them. My husband will be home looking after the baby so also need to make sure he will not get bored as he is a city man.

Thanks Lucie.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Where to Live?

Where do you live now? WhT are you looking at ? Buying or renting? have you been to the area for a recky?

traino and any stops near traino make commute quick n easy from mandurah to perth...

Plenty to do for 5 yr old and a bub? what kind of acfivities do they enjoy? Kiteboarding? Advanced origami? Mountain climbing?

My kids at five, give them out door space and a cardboard box and I wouldnt see them for hours... Add a bike and you could m,ake that days... Or are we talking montessori? museums, aerobics for babies....

Sorry for slightly faceious reply, but have you got now? What do you want in the way of activities...
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps start looking at Fremantle and suburbs to the east, preferably on the north side of Canning Highway, going towards the freeway. Como or South Perth, east of the freeway. Cyclepaths, footpaths and parks along the river. Great park at Heathcote, for example http://www.acoffeeinthepark.com/heathcote-reserve.

A couple of stations down are Bull Creek and Murdoch stations, some nice suburbs around there too.

If you travel by train to Mandurah, can you easily get from the train station to where you will be working, or were you planning to drive from home to Mandurah?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Perhaps start looking at Fremantle and suburbs to the east, preferably on the north side of Canning Highway, going towards the freeway. Como or South Perth, east of the freeway. Cyclepaths, footpaths and parks along the river. Great park at Heathcote, for example http://www.acoffeeinthepark.com/heathcote-reserve.

A couple of stations down are Bull Creek and Murdoch stations, some nice suburbs around there too.

If you travel by train to Mandurah, can you easily get from the train station to where you will be working, or were you planning to drive from home to Mandurah?
Personally wouldnt want to comute from freo to mandurah... Hard work .... Even by traino...

Have to know price range to be able to better advise.... Como is nice...
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Irishbabes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lucie M
Hi,

I have been offered a job in Mandurah, I know nothing about the place. I really want to live closer to Perth as have friends there so would love to hear from you all on good places to live which are easily commutable to Mandurah for work, but will get us to Perth easily and quickly. Any suggestions?
Also what is Mandurah like? Is there plenty to do? I have a 5 year old and a 6 month old so want to make sure there is plenty for them. My husband will be home looking after the baby so also need to make sure he will not get bored as he is a city man.

Thanks Lucie.
Hi Lucie,

I live in Mandurah and love it! It is only a 50min train ride to Perth but everything is here. Mandurah is cheaper than Perth to live and I would not really recommend commuting as it is a much nicer place than anything in between (maybe Rockingham is worth considering if you want to be a little closer to Perth) closer suburbs are more expensive with less to offer the attraction being commuting TO perth not out of it.
I have a 6 and 4 year old who go to school here. There are loads of activities to do with children and babies - library time/toddler jam/playgroup etc, Men are welcome and because Mandurah has a lot of flyin flyout families and a lot of expats many men attend these activities on their week off.
On the negative some of the schools are not great, although the same goes for pockets of perth. I would suggest looking at private or catholic schools.
In regards to Hubby being a city man, Perth itself is not a big city either and has not got the same city feel as London does. He will need to look positively on embracing a slower pace of life
Hope this helps
Old Sep 13th 2011, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Irishbabes
Hi Lucie,

I live in Mandurah and love it! It is only a 50min train ride to Perth but everything is here. Mandurah is cheaper than Perth to live and I would not really recommend commuting as it is a much nicer place than anything in between (maybe Rockingham is worth considering if you want to be a little closer to Perth) closer suburbs are more expensive with less to offer the attraction being commuting TO perth not out of it.
I have a 6 and 4 year old who go to school here. There are loads of activities to do with children and babies - library time/toddler jam/playgroup etc, Men are welcome and because Mandurah has a lot of flyin flyout families and a lot of expats many men attend these activities on their week off.
On the negative some of the schools are not great, although the same goes for pockets of perth. I would suggest looking at private or catholic schools.
In regards to Hubby being a city man, Perth itself is not a big city either and has not got the same city feel as London does. He will need to look positively on embracing a slower pace of life
Hope this helps
thanks for the shockingham mention... Much appreciated... Didnt want to mention it myself

Signed eddie007
Official President of the We Love Shockingham Fan Club
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all your replys you really are a friendly lot

Activities we like are varied. My 5 year old loves football and swimming, my husband is a fitness freak so anything sporty and healthy keeps him happy. Me, I just work and drink red wine, if my family are happy I am too

We will be renting for a year and if we decide to stay will buy. Budget? I will be paid between 80,000 - 90,000 Australian dollars per year + overtime, don't know if this is a good wage or not for Oz or what kind of house we could get on that budget. I have no idea how much things cost there, but have heard things are expensive?

Had a lot of people speaking highly of Secret Harbour? I think I will just have to hire an apartment for a month when I arrive and take a drive round to get a feel for places.

Thank you all so much for your feedback, given me something to think about.

Lucie.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you for all your replys you really are a friendly lot

Activities we like are varied. My 5 year old loves football and swimming, my husband is a fitness freak so anything sporty and healthy keeps him happy. Me, I just work and drink red wine, if my family are happy I am too

We will be renting for a year and if we decide to stay will buy. Budget? I will be paid between 80,000 - 90,000 Australian dollars per year + overtime, don't know if this is a good wage or not for Oz or what kind of house we could get on that budget. I have no idea how much things cost there, but have heard things are expensive?

Had a lot of people speaking highly of Secret Harbour? I think I will just have to hire an apartment for a month when I arrive and take a drive round to get a feel for places.

Thank you all so much for your feedback, given me something to think about.

Lucie.
Sounds like you COULD live anywher with those interests...only PLEASE remember to call the game with the round ball soccer, not football, or your little darling may find himself being lept on and tackled to the ground at his first game

Hiring an apartment/holiday let for a month and driving round/exploring is an excellent idea, and you'll find that there are a lot of pommies in the area who will be more than happy to have you over for a barbie and talk to you about whats good and whats not, show you round etc.... Show you what bang you can get for your buck in what areas... Tell you the good and the bad about where they live

BE is very good at "The Welcome Wagon".... And make the most of any invites you get... Go to the opening of an envelope if anyone asks you to it.. There will be plenty of BE members in the area who will get together for a meet up just for you (they meet up regularly anyway) and you can grill them ...

When we arrived we were helped no end by certain people, who have become great mates... And some we never saw again.... We were all new arrivals once

And as you already have friends in perth "You'll be good"

Eddie007 (UNofficial President of the we Love Living in Rockingham appreciation society)

Last edited by eddie007; Sep 13th 2011 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Ipaditis
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eddie007
Sounds like you COULD live anywher with those interests...only PLEASE remember to call the game with the round ball soccer, not football, or your little darling may find himself being lept on and tackled to the ground at his first game

Hiring an apartment/holiday let for a month and driving round/exploring is an excellent idea, and you'll find that there are a lot of pommies in the area who will be more than happy to have you over for a barbie and talk to you about whats good and whats not, show you round etc.... Show you what bang you can get for your buck in what areas... Tell you the good and the bad about where they live

BE is very good at "The Welcome Wagon".... And make the most of any invites you get... Go to the opening of an envelope if anyone asks you to it.. There will be plenty of BE members in the area who will get together for a meet up just for you (they meet up regularly anyway) and you can grill them ...

When we arrived we were helped no end by certain people, who have become great mates... And some we never saw again.... We were all new arrivals once

Eddie007 (UNofficial President of the we Love Living in Rockingham appreciation society)

Thanks, I better get my boy used to saying Soccer Whats the opening of an envelope? LOl.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I better get my boy used to saying Soccer Whats the opening of an envelope? LOl.
After decades of whinging us Australian football fans have finally seen Soccer Australia become Football Federation Australia so I reckon you keep calling it Football
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
After decades of whinging us Australian football fans have finally seen Soccer Australia become Football Federation Australia so I reckon you keep calling it Football
You're joking!!!!!!

Thats unaustralian!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
It makes all the difference when the Australian national football team makes it to a world cup and wins a few matches in various tournaments.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
It makes all the difference when the Australian national football team makes it to a world cup and wins a few matches in various tournaments.
Yes, twice in a row and we almost won the thing in Germany
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're joking!!!!!!

Thats unaustralian!
I thought you lot over there were seceding...now that's unaustralian
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

colinkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Just jumping on the band wagon,
We arrived from UK on Monday 12th sept, and have rented a holiday home in Mandurah, big concern is that the senior public schools don't seem to be rated that good so we are wondering if we should move down towards Bunbury? Before people say go private we could not afford to as we have 3 teenage daughters (17,15,13) so would cost us at least $32,000 a year in school fees. Would welcome your advice.
Thanks
Karen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.