Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP - Which Way To Go !!!!!!!

HELP - Which Way To Go !!!!!!!

Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Paul & Ali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP - Which Way To Go !!!!!!!

Maybe some assistance from non blood related personnel is needed.

I have just been made redundant, last Friday (20th August 2004). The company has gone into receivership, which means I do not get any salary for the time I have worked nor do I get any redundancy money (well yet).

I (we) are really interested in starting afresh and feel Australia will give us something we are looking for.

We have two children a son 6 an daughter 3. I am an accountant and my wife is a hairdresser.

What should we do?

I would imagine we would have about £50k - £100k to bring in to any country.

If there is anyone who has done this, good and bad, please reply.

It is not running away, well maybe it is, but ......

If you understand this then I am sure you will know.

Thanks

Paul
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:49 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP - Which Way To Go !!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Paul & Ali

I have just been made redundant, last Friday (20th August 2004). The company has gone into receivership, which means I do not get any salary for the time I have worked nor do I get any redundancy money (well yet).

I (we) are really interested in starting afresh and feel Australia will give us something we are looking for.

We have two children a son 6 an daughter 3. I am an accountant and my wife is a hairdresser.

What should we do?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Not much advice to give we are taking about 70k...no matter how much you have, it is never enough...some people go with lots less and some go with a FORTUNE! Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Lucy
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:52 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

What should we do?

Thanks

Paul

Same happened to me in 1998, was made redundant, got the minimum redundancy they had to pay by law.
I came out to Aus for a 2 week break & loved it.
My wife was a nurse so was pretty easy to get out here as we were fast tracked.
Moved to Melbourne July 99 & have never regretted it.

Just my personal view but I'd say go for it.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Lucy,

Any feedback from anybody would be great.

Kids out there, and us if course.

Good luck.

Thanks

Paul
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Bordy - thanks for that, sometimes u feel that that is it and life has ended, you look at your kids and think it hasn't.

But what to do now when things seem out of your control, kids future, our future.

Maybe there is some more......

Thanks

Paul
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:08 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Bordy - thanks for that, sometimes u feel that that is it and life has ended, you look at your kids and think it hasn't.

But what to do now when things seem out of your control, kids future, our future.

Maybe there is some more......

Thanks

Paul

If youve never been before & if its possible maybe you should come out for a holiday.
I know theres a few might disagree but I think its a great place to bring up kids. A lot of it is to do with the weather of course but far more outdoor pursuits obviously than the UK.
Some school curriculums allow for tennis, surfing, hockey etc etc.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

What should we do?

Thanks

Paul

Do it.

You'll probably find your wife will be the main applicant as her profession is on the MODL - http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/modl.htm

This will also mean you get priority processing - a few months rather than often well over a year.

I reckon you've got a good chance getting in and, as others rightly said it's a good idea to visit first. HOWEVER, MODL occupations come and go (although I think haridressing always seems to be there) so you might want to get the application in sooner rather that later.

The rest of the web site in the above URL has all the info you need.

Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Last time i looked hairessing was on the "on demand list" and not only does that get y ou an extra 5 points, but i think (jaj??) that it moves things along quicker too.

You will need to do a TRA first to get your wifes skills assessed and IMO thats the hardest bit!!

We have been her 10 months and "top tips" aside we are loving it and so are our kids.

Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:33 am
Just Joined

JoGrist is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul

We were in a simular situation to you not that long ago, my husband was made redundant and only got a percentage of his redundancy money through the Government.

Anyway what I would do if you are looking for a quick way over here. Get yourself out here on a tourist visa, then look for jobs with a view that the employer may sponsor you to stay. With your wife's qualification she would probably be the best bet because there seems to be a shortage of good hairdressers out here. Then when you have found a company who will sponsor you, apply while you are there for a 457 visa work sponsored long stay - 4 years visa and once you have that look to convert it into to a permanent skills visa through your wife's hairdressing qualifications and experience.

This way you can combine looking at Australia and also look for something permanent if you like it.

Hope this helps.

Jo Grist
www.gristinternational.com
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoGrist
Hi Paul

We were in a simular situation to you not that long ago, my husband was made redundant and only got a percentage of his redundancy money through the Government.

Anyway what I would do if you are looking for a quick way over here. Get yourself out here on a tourist visa, then look for jobs with a view that the employer may sponsor you to stay. With your wife's qualification she would probably be the best bet because there seems to be a shortage of good hairdressers out here. Then when you have found a company who will sponsor you, apply while you are there for a 457 visa work sponsored long stay - 4 years visa and once you have that look to convert it into to a permanent skills visa through your wife's hairdressing qualifications and experience.

This way you can combine looking at Australia and also look for something permanent if you like it.

Hope this helps.

Jo Grist
www.gristinternational.com

Alternatively apply for Skilled Independent, which would be fast tracked.

You would enter the country without suspicion, unlike if you came on a tourist visa and told the Immigration person you had come to look for work - not a good idea.

You could work for whoever you wanted to, and wouldn't be at the mercy of your sponsoring employer.

If you were in NSW you wouldn't have to pay school fees for state schools.

You would be able to apply for citizenship after 2 years, unlike the 457.

You would have access to the full range of Medicare services, unlike the "reciprocal agreement" services you would get under the 457.

You would be able to get much cheaper private medical insurance as a PR.

Trust me, PR if you can get it is the one to have.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

At the risk of being shot down in flames here, but I would say have a long hard think before you do anything. I do know where you are coming from as my hubby was made redundant twice in the UK. It's a shock & there are a whole range of emotions that come into play including questioning your self worth and where you are in life. Make sure that the idea of emigrating isn't just a knee jerk reaction and that it's something that you all really want to do.

Be careful of thinking that the grass is greener on the other side, Australia has similar problems a lot of the time. We know people here who have struggled finding work and then have only been on short term contracts and are unemployed again at the end, others who've found great jobs.
Do your research, find out what it would be like moving here and if you can afford it come on holiday first, it's not for everyone & you can't believe everything you see on TV.

Give it some time and think with a clear head. If after that you still want to make the move. Go for it! Not trying to be negative but just think you need to do it for the right reasons or you risk a whole series of other heartaches.

Hairdressers are in demand so you are in a good position

All the best

Loopy
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:53 am
Just Joined

JoGrist is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree, but even fast track can take months. I am not advocating breaking the law, but if you have never been to Australia before it is always good to have a look see and if you like it start the wheels in motion. Depends how much time and resources you have really.

Go for the Skills Migration if you have the time and get out for a holiday, because it may not be what you expect or want.

Jo