Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help us decide where to live????

Help us decide where to live????

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help us decide where to live????

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Thanks for all the advice!

Decision has been made, after some serious soul searching and discussion!

Perth it is!
Better the devil you know was the general consensus! Have managed to sell the idea of, 'we can always move if we dont like it' to C!!

Gonna be looking at SOR, probably Safety Bay, Waikiki, Rocky areas..........
Summer 2007 is the date! See all you Perthites then!!

Wohooo!!

I'll put WA on alert
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:08 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Wohooo!!

I'll put WA on alert
Cheers Wendles!!

Happy New Year btw....tried to Karma ya but you know how it is!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

I was in the same position this time last year. I tossed up between Perth and Brisbane and Brissie won but if you both loved it there then that is a pretty good place to start and I loved all the things that you did about it and no I don't think it is boring there. Do your job research (I screwed up here big time) and take it from there. Good luck!

Sue
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Wendles!!

Happy New Year btw....tried to Karma ya but you know how it is!

You're not going to say that you don't spread enough are you?.

I don't believe you
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:33 am

You're not going to say that you don't spread enough are you?.

I don't believe you
........and so you shouldn't!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:35 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Screw 'em all and come and live in the Blue Mountains. You know you want to.

Seriously, go with what your heart says.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

........and so you shouldn't!
glad you have made a decision, was it yours or the misses??

Anyway Perth may suit you just fine and i would say you are making the right choice in moving SOR, much more livelier, more things to see and do.

Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by paulrachel
glad you have made a decision, was it yours or the misses??

Anyway Perth may suit you just fine and i would say you are making the right choice in moving SOR, much more livelier, more things to see and do.

Good luck
Was always my decision - I wear the trousers in this house I'll have you know! (if only )
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was always my decision - I wear the trousers in this house I'll have you know! (if only )

Did C say you could wear them for the night
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:57 am

Did C say you could wear them for the night
Yeah, made me wear em on my head though! Looked a proper charlie I did!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

OK, we set our hearts on Perth, validated there, then started to wonder if it was too remote and if we would get bored in years to come.

Basically, we are stumped! The missus wants to spend some time traveling to each place when we finally arrive and then decide where to live. Me, I would prefer to know where we are going beforehand so that we can do some ground work BEFORE we arrive, you know like booking short term rentals, researching work etc.......
Cracks me up everytime I see that "too remote" comment, I still have absolutley no idea what it actually means. Other than costing more to fly east there isnt anything remote about Perth...

Anyway, I think your missus has the right idea, you cant base a decision on what's said on a forum by a load of people you dont even know and who could be anybody.

Why not research all the places you fancy and maybe try and spend a couple of weeks in them all before you settle down?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice!

Decision has been made, after some serious soul searching and discussion!

Perth it is!
Better the devil you know was the general consensus! Have managed to sell the idea of, 'we can always move if we dont like it' to C!!

Gonna be looking at SOR, probably Safety Bay, Waikiki, Rocky areas..........
Summer 2007 is the date! See all you Perthites then!!

Aha, should have read the whoooole thread before I replied!!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 11:04 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Alright Fluf,
coming a bit late to this as you have already made your mind up but why not travel a bit before you settle? You don't have kids, unless that has changed since we last parried, which was probably a year ago.
You buy a car a load of camping gear and than see what happens, Australia is such a diverse and beautiful country and fantastic for camping, it seems a pity to come this far and then get settled to quick if you don't need to.
We will definitely do an adventure again before we make our minds up for good.
From your past posts you have always sounded like just the couple to hit the road and take the opportunities as they happen, you probably won't have many chances to have a blank sheet in front of you to write your own adventure.

Hopefully this doesn't sound poncey or patronizing, good luck what ever you do.

Kevin

Last edited by kevinl; Jan 3rd 2007 at 11:06 am. Reason: Blooby spell checker
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:32 pm
DJC
Forum Regular

DJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura about

Hi Fluf,

Glad you've decided on Perth. We too weren't sure if the 'remoteness' of Perth would be a problem, but last September/October we took a trip out to Aus to validate our visas and decided to spend 2 weeks in Brisbane as we'd never been there before visiting Perth where we have been before.
I have to say, the OH liked Brisie but we realised that in order to be near enough the city for me not to have a nightmare commute then we would not be near enough the nice beaches (Sunshine or Gold Coast).

Also, the other thing that freaked me out, was the incredible over use of air conditioning everywhere we went. We absolutely froze!!! I went round permanently shivering even though I was wearing a fleece. We got to Perth and heaved a sigh of relief.

Perth won't suit everyone, I'm sure, but I reckon it'll do us just nicely. Stacks of lovely parks and beaches. The city easily accessible by rail or road. I ended up thinking as you have, 'better the devil you know'. Perth is much more familiar to us. Even the climate is less extreme than Brisie so that settles it - Perth it is for next September.

The very best of luck to you all in your move to Perth.

Debs
Old Jan 4th 2007, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi Fluf,

Glad you've decided on Perth. We too weren't sure if the 'remoteness' of Perth would be a problem, but last September/October we took a trip out to Aus to validate our visas and decided to spend 2 weeks in Brisbane as we'd never been there before visiting Perth where we have been before.
I have to say, the OH liked Brisie but we realised that in order to be near enough the city for me not to have a nightmare commute then we would not be near enough the nice beaches (Sunshine or Gold Coast).

Also, the other thing that freaked me out, was the incredible over use of air conditioning everywhere we went. We absolutely froze!!! I went round permanently shivering even though I was wearing a fleece. We got to Perth and heaved a sigh of relief.

Perth won't suit everyone, I'm sure, but I reckon it'll do us just nicely. Stacks of lovely parks and beaches. The city easily accessible by rail or road. I ended up thinking as you have, 'better the devil you know'. Perth is much more familiar to us. Even the climate is less extreme than Brisie so that settles it - Perth it is for next September.

The very best of luck to you all in your move to Perth.

Debs
You just mentioned our major concern with Brisbane......the proximity of nice beaches and coastline to the city! We liked the idea of the SC however the commute into Brisbane would be just too much. I know some people do it and love it, we however, like to use the time spent travelling doing more productive stuff.
We are happy we have chosen Perth and are looking forward to changing our lifestyles when we get there. The plan is to get into some serious Mountain Biking (used to be a few years ago), buy a canadian type canoe to explore some rivers (OK, dry river beds most of the year ) and generally get away from the whole big city living thing and become 'countrified'!!! Ooh Aaarrr!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.