Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help us decide where to live????

Help us decide where to live????

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:21 am
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help us decide where to live????

Originally Posted by sme
I just put my fingers in my ears and go la-la-la-la

My daughter was like that till we moved and I can honestly say shes been fine (its even better now shes gone to Mandurah for a week with her best friend and family )

I've got 2 - its like bloody stereo

Hoping to afford a big enough house so they can be in one part and I'm in the other - or even better one with an annexe - that way I can turn up MY music and drown the little sh1ts out
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sassycat
I've got 2 - its like bloody stereo

Hoping to afford a big enough house so they can be in one part and I'm in the other - or even better one with an annexe - that way I can turn up MY music and drown the little sh1ts out
That's where the Winnebago comes in...."Just popping out to get some milk luv(s)".

'Oh, I thought I left them in this street..... or was it that street......'

'Better keep driving around for a while until I remember which city we were in'

WW
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:33 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Sooooooooo, any more pearls of wisdom from you lot on where we should live?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hated Perth and no way would live there but if you have been and know you like it, it's a lot of expense to try other places.

On the other hand, you might end up anywhere and if the work situation is good, then that has to be the place to go.

Sorry mate but other people's views and visions can never work for someone else. Buzzy's threads were great but others might do exactly the same trip and think - what the hell is he talking about - he's in a different world.

I afraid you've got to do that shitty boring grown up bit and make your own mind up

I don't think I would worry about the short term rental though, depending on when you were planning to arrive. If you're outside the holidays, short terms are easily found, anywhere.

Good luck.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well I hated Perth and no way would live there but if you have been and know you like it, it's a lot of expense to try other places.

On the other hand, you might end up anywhere and if the work situation is good, then that has to be the place to go.

Sorry mate but other people's views and visions can never work for someone else. Buzzy's threads were great but others might do exactly the same trip and think - what the hell is he talking about - he's in a different world.

I afraid you've got to do that shitty boring grown up bit and make your own mind up

I don't think I would worry about the short term rental though, depending on when you were planning to arrive. If you're outside the holidays, short terms are easily found, anywhere.

Good luck.
Have to agree with this post. Spot on.

Now why do i all of a sudden feel jealous of you moneypen???
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Sooooooooo, any more pearls of wisdom from you lot on where we should live?
Split the difference!

That would be Wudinna SA then.

Saturday shopping in Brisbane and Sunday on a beach in Perth.

WW
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

<an attempt to piss everyone off>

Perth's full of safas and BNP-voting ex-Stevenage pipe-fitters, Brisbane's full of mockney blow-hards with sovereign rings and a fetish for chicken snags and V8 utes, Melbourne's crammed to the gills with double-shot latte-sipping nonces formerly of East Cheam along with some gangsters of Greek origin, Darwin's the serial killer capital of the world, and Adelaide... well Adelaide's just full of the bewildered and lost. There is only one city and one state - Sydney and greater New Sarf Wales are where you should focus your attention.

</end an attempt to piss everyone off>

We now return you to your normal programming.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

good entertainment anyway!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
<an attempt to piss everyone off>

There is only one city and one state - Sydney and greater New Sarf Wales are where you should focus your attention.

</end an attempt to piss everyone off>

We now return you to your normal programming.
Didn't piss me off - totally agree.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:07 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Hutch;4242083 BNP-voting ex-Stevenage pipe-fitters, </end an attempt to piss everyone off>

quote]

How do you know so much about me ?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:10 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

There is only one city and one state - Sydney and greater New Sarf Wales are where you should focus your attention.
Fluff, having only travelled there a few times (for lengthy periods) and for me and the missus (we are going, but it's going to be an age for us) it will be the Sydney option, though we do have a soft spot for Adelaide. I'm sure you know from your recce trip that it cannot give you an indication of 'regular' or realistic way of life and like others have said it's down to you two. One mans meat another mans poison and all that.

Good luck, when you planning on making the move, do you think it will be this year?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go to Perth at first - even if you want to start a family it's easy to move in the years before the little ones start school. We're heading to Perth initially, but we may decide to move east if we get bored. We have a few years before our son starts school, and we want to make sure we settle in the right place before then.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
OK, we set our hearts on Perth, validated there, then started to wonder if it was too remote and if we would get bored in years to come.

Started to look at Brisbane and Melbourne...........still got a torch for Perth though, we both loved it and could easily see ourselves living there. Loved the beaches, the city, the hills, proximity to the wilds of Northern WA, Margaret River etc etc...........

Basically, we are stumped! The missus wants to spend some time traveling to each place when we finally arrive and then decide where to live. Me, I would prefer to know where we are going beforehand so that we can do some ground work BEFORE we arrive, you know like booking short term rentals, researching work etc.......

I'm turning to you people as a last resort - what do we do!? We are really stumped on this one.

I said to her, ' if we don't like it, we can always move in a year or two', but she's not having any of that, wants to settle down and start a family etc.....

Buggered if I know??

Over to you, what would you do??...............
If you and C have your hearts set on Perth, then go there. If you go anywhere else then it would feel like second best and you'd always feel that something was missing.

Bite the bullet and go for it, what's the worse that can happen?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you and C have your hearts set on Perth, then go there. If you go anywhere else then it would feel like second best and you'd always feel that something was missing.

Bite the bullet and go for it, what's the worse that can happen?
I agree. If it turns out that it isn't for you after a year or two then move. If you haven't had kids yet then you have plenty of years left in you - you don't have to pick somewhere now and never move again. Just move somewhere you think you'll like and make the best of it. Good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:04 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice!

Decision has been made, after some serious soul searching and discussion!

Perth it is!
Better the devil you know was the general consensus! Have managed to sell the idea of, 'we can always move if we dont like it' to C!!

Gonna be looking at SOR, probably Safety Bay, Waikiki, Rocky areas..........
Summer 2007 is the date! See all you Perthites then!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.