Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help us decide where to live????

Help us decide where to live????

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:25 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help us decide where to live????

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I'm not anti-Perth but...............................hell it is boring here.

Saying that i wouldn't want to put anyone off trying it for themselves. We came for a reccie first to Perth and loved it. Living here is a complete different matter. There's not much going on, nowhere to go except parks and beaches.
Teenagers find it hard to settle, well my kids do, so it doesn't help when they stay in moaning all day that their Bored!!!!!!!!!

Perths great for a holiday, thats where the attraction ends. For us anyway.
Now for those who love it here, well done and good for you, if you want more to life then go East.
That is exactly our issue!

I too would love to do the whole campervan thing, however, we are going on a very limited budget and think doing that would use up a large chunk of that budget! Also , like I said before, I am too organised and like to know that I have somewhere to call home even if it is a short term rental, BEFORE we leave Heathrow.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:25 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Not that I know of, why do you ask?

There is someone posting as "MrsFluffy" so put 2 and 2 together and made 50 million

(Ooooops just checked and it was actually Mrs Vash )

Sorry for any matrimonial distress caused
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:30 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassycat
Can I ask where you have finally settled (I have read your post a few times to make sure I'm not missing the blindingly obvious) I have teenagers and that is one of my concerns about Perth.

SC x-x-x

Teenagers will complain they are bored anywhere in the world.
My teenager has settled well in Perth, she does music, swims, surfs, meets friends,goes to the pics, shops, joined the Air cadets, doing her Duke of Edinburgh award so quite a full and varied social calender
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:31 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sme
There is someone posting as "MrsFluffy" so put 2 and 2 together and made 50 million

(Ooooops just checked and it was actually Mrs Vash )

Sorry for any matrimonial distress caused
S'ok..........I thought you were perhaps making reference to the fact that my post was polite, grammatically accurate(ish) and verging on an intelligent question, and that you thought it couldn't possibly really be me posting!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:31 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

We were the same. We came over in Easter and landed in Perth first and absolutely loved it, it was beautiful. Once our week was over we had decided Perth would be for us and thought Brisbane would never beat it but in the end it did (although Perth is stunning and I would have been happy there too). We travelled around a bit during our visit to Brisbane and decided that we would aim for the Sunshine coast when we eventually made the move over. We decided on the east coast becaus eof its proximity to the other cities and also because we were very nervous of the housing market. When we visited we heard stories of people camping out to get in line to buy a plot of land! The only thing I can suggest is maybe thinking where you can and can't work, will that limit your choice in anyway? I think as a city (if I had to commute to the CBD) then we may have picked Perth but because our professions don't limit us we were able to live on the sunshine coast. I think whichever side you pick you wont be disappointed as they both have fantatsic opportunities and great lifestyles. Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:33 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
S'ok..........I thought you were perhaps making reference to the fact that my post was polite, grammatically accurate(ish) and verging on an intelligent question, and that you thought it couldn't possibly really be me posting!

Might have been that too
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya mate,

Well we've been here (Perth) for just over 2 weeks and so far so good! Like you we also came out here for a reccie last year and loved it. I have also been to Melbourne but that was many moons ago. Our decision was made easier in that we have family in Perth so this has made it much easier for us to settle as they're putting us up etc and showing us around until we can find a rental and jobs etc.

I'm not saying that we'll stay in Perth forever and I would like to visit Brisbane, Adelaide and Sydney etc but those will all come as holidays and if we decide we want to live in those places then we will assess it at the time, but so far we have no regrets about being in Perth.

I can see why people think it can be a little boring here and we may think that too in the future, but tbh we came here for a quieter lifestyle anyway, I dont really want nighclubs and pubs on every street corner etc so other than that we can do the same here and more than we ever could in the UK.

At the end of the day the decision is yours but I wish you good luck with it and I'm sure that you'll make the right choice.

Stu.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you've researched Perth pretty well and it ticks all your boxes - that's a good start, plus you've visited and liked it. Have you also looked in depth at Brisbane and Melbourne and surrounding areas? If not, Buzzy Bee's reccie notes were comprehensive.

Melbourne met our criteria and we haven't been disappointed - but of course everyone's needs/wants are different. I haven't been to Perth, so can't compare.

Good luck with whichever and whatever you decide.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:42 am
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sme
Teenagers will complain they are bored anywhere in the world.
My teenager has settled well in Perth, she does music, swims, surfs, meets friends,goes to the pics, shops, joined the Air cadets, doing her Duke of Edinburgh award so quite a full and varied social calender
Thanks for that they are not too impressed at the thought of being "dragged" as they so nicely put it to the other side of the world and I just want to be able to lock em out of the house for hours on end and know that they have somewhere to go and play

SC x-x-x-x
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:52 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by sassycat
Thanks for that they are not too impressed at the thought of being "dragged" as they so nicely put it to the other side of the world and I just want to be able to lock em out of the house for hours on end and know that they have somewhere to go and play

SC x-x-x-x

I just put my fingers in my ears and go la-la-la-la

My daughter was like that till we moved and I can honestly say shes been fine (its even better now shes gone to Mandurah for a week with her best friend and family )
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wafc
Hiya mate,

Well we've been here (Perth) for just over 2 weeks and so far so good! Like you we also came out here for a reccie last year and loved it. I have also been to Melbourne but that was many moons ago. Our decision was made easier in that we have family in Perth so this has made it much easier for us to settle as they're putting us up etc and showing us around until we can find a rental and jobs etc.

I'm not saying that we'll stay in Perth forever and I would like to visit Brisbane, Adelaide and Sydney etc but those will all come as holidays and if we decide we want to live in those places then we will assess it at the time, but so far we have no regrets about being in Perth.

I can see why people think it can be a little boring here and we may think that too in the future, but tbh we came here for a quieter lifestyle anyway, I dont really want nighclubs and pubs on every street corner etc so other than that we can do the same here and more than we ever could in the UK.

At the end of the day the decision is yours but I wish you good luck with it and I'm sure that you'll make the right choice.

Stu.
Are you the pie-man by any chance
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Are you the pie-man by any chance
Got it in one!

People are much more friendly on here than Poms in Perth!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:58 am
sme
......in the sand !

Got it in one!

I agree
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Got it in one!

Ha!!!! well hello Stu.

Yep PIP is getting abit daft now. Glad you are enjoying your time here.
Hope to meet you soon. I have met some good friends on here, we are all nice
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Ha!!!! well hello Stu.

Yep PIP is getting abit daft now. Glad you are enjoying your time here.
Hope to meet you soon. I have met some good friends on here, we are all nice
Yeah you too, we'll defo be up for meet up in the future!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.