Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help understand medicare

Help understand medicare

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Rosie24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help understand medicare

Can someone help buy telling me how much it will cost for prescriptions as we are both diabetic and are going out on a parents visa but are unsure about the financial costs of prescriptions and doctor appointments due to health issues and do not think that I will be working
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help understand medicare

There isn't a set amount for prescriptions. It depends on the medication and whether you buy a specific brand! Some medications can be extremely expensive so it is definitely worth finding out what yours would cost before coming here.
For GP appointments if you can find a good GP that bulk bills then it shouldn't cost anything for the appointment. otherwise you may pay around $70-$80 for an appointment and claim around half back from Medicare.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You might find that an Australian GP will change your medication - if yours is expensive or not on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme especially. If it is on the PBS then you will be up for a max of around $38 per item per fill (usually a month) -so it could be cheaper - up to an annual threshold of just under $1500 when a safety net provision kicks in and you only pay around $6 per item per fill.

The usual situation is that you pay around half of whatever a GP charges you - Medicare pays the other half so each GP visit will see you out of pocket around $35-40. Finding a bulk billing doctor in some places can be difficult and there are benefits to going to a doctor who doesn't bulk bill - you can usually be assured of continuity of care which, often, is not the case in the BB practices. If you have a chronic condition then that continued care is often a bonus!
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 6:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie24
Can someone help buy telling me how much it will cost for prescriptions as we are both diabetic and are going out on a parents visa but are unsure about the financial costs of prescriptions and doctor appointments due to health issues and do not think that I will be working
If you qualify for a low income Health Care Card, you get cheaper prescriptions, usually around $6 each.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your helpful information I will take on board what you have all advised
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure if I will qualify for health care card with a parents visa as we are both 63 and are coming out to be with our grandchildren so will be doing a power of babysitting
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if I will qualify for health care card with a parents visa as we are both 63 and are coming out to be with our grandchildren so will be doing a power of babysitting
Hi Rosie - I'm not up on parents visas so I don't know if that would preclude you from applying for a HCC - I'm sure someone will be along to answer that.

I bet the kids are looking forward to you coming and babysitting! Just remember that you're entitled to have a life too though
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
You might find that an Australian GP will change your medication - if yours is expensive or not on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme especially. If it is on the PBS then you will be up for a max of around $38 per item per fill (usually a month) -so it could be cheaper - up to an annual threshold of just under $1500 when a safety net provision kicks in and you only pay around $6 per item per fill.

The usual situation is that you pay around half of whatever a GP charges you - Medicare pays the other half so each GP visit will see you out of pocket around $35-40. Finding a bulk billing doctor in some places can be difficult and there are benefits to going to a doctor who doesn't bulk bill - you can usually be assured of continuity of care which, often, is not the case in the BB practices. If you have a chronic condition then that continued care is often a bonus!
Does this mean it $1500 per person and do you know if their is any help with medicine which is compulsory like thyroxine and diabetes meds
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Rosie - I'm not up on parents visas so I don't know if that would preclude you from applying for a HCC - I'm sure someone will be along to answer that.

I bet the kids are looking forward to you coming and babysitting! Just remember that you're entitled to have a life too though
Still very unsure what we would qualify for
Old Jul 24th 2016, 12:11 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie, I'm not up on what visa entitles you to what either, do you qualify for full medicare?

If you do, many GPs (even if they're not generally a bulk billing practice) will put patients with chronic conditions onto a care management plan, so their visits will be bulk billed. Blood tests are (generally) (currently) bulk billed too.

Prescriptions though will vary. Here's the PBS site which will show you the maximum you'll be charged for various meds (I did a search there for thyroxine, you can check your other meds)

PBS site
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean it $1500 per person and do you know if their is any help with medicine which is compulsory like thyroxine and diabetes meds
Per family https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/pharmaceutical-benefits-scheme-pbs-safety-net#a3
No, there is no help, you're up for anything up to the threshold then it's at reduced rate.

Assume you won't be entitled to anything then anything you do get is a bonus. There is a 2 year residence required for a Seniors Health Care card and the low income health care card and then they are means tested so there is no guarantee you will get one.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Per family https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...-safety-net#a3
No, there is no help, you're up for anything up to the threshold then it's at reduced rate.

Assume you won't be entitled to anything then anything you do get is a bonus. There is a 2 year residence required for a Seniors Health Care card and the low income health care card and then they are means tested so there is no guarantee you will get one.
My husband is on diabetic meds and has a list of about 6items and I have 3 or 4 and if they ar approx $40 that soon adds up I think it's just a whole new change for us and I think at our age I think it can all be a bit frightening
Old Jul 24th 2016, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

My husband is on diabetic meds and has a list of about 6items and I have 3 or 4 and if they ar approx $40 that soon adds up I think it's just a whole new change for us and I think at our age I think it can all be a bit frightening
Is that $1500 approx every year and does it be tax deductible
Old Jul 24th 2016, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is that $1500 approx every year and does it be tax deductible
Yes, 1500 a year comes out of your pocket. Medical expenses certainly used to be tax deductible but a quick look at the ATO site says they are no longer a deduction

The net medical expenses tax offset is being phased out.

From 2015–16 until 2018–19, claims for this offset are restricted to net eligible expenses for disability aids, attendant care or aged care.

Remember that costs in Australia are higher, it's not like UK and if you are planning on living on a frozen UK pension, it will get harder as time goes on because you won't be entitled to any Aus benefits for a good many years.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 1:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that costs in Australia are higher, it's not like UK and if you are planning on living on a frozen UK pension, it will get harder as time goes on because you won't be entitled to any Aus benefits for a good many years.
Not necessarily true

Everyone's COL is different and mine, overall, is roughly the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.