Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Under Pressure

Help Under Pressure

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Under Pressure

Grrrrrrrrrr hiya all i'm having a nightmare today and just wanted to ask whether anyone else has been in a similar boat so I don't feel all alone. We're off to Brisbane at the end of September hopefully but the house sale is all still going through and we don't have an exchange date yet, work are now putting the finger screws on for us to give them a written resignation letter but without the definite date (which I have tried to get out of our solicitors) I am loathe to give up the job yet incase something goes wrong with the sale and we still have a mortgage to pay. Anyone else been in the same tight spot? Boss suggested I wait till the sale goes through and then give them six weeks notice great for them but where are we meant to live - even though everyone else who has left only ever gives 4 weeks.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:57 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help Under Pressure

Sorry but you don't have to give your notice ....
you can just either feint a sicky when the time has come or just not bother going back .....
I myself have walked out of jobs when i was younger and never worked and notice .....
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
Sorry but you don't have to give your notice ....
you can just either feint a sicky when the time has come or just not bother going back .....
I myself have walked out of jobs when i was younger and never worked and notice .....
This really depends on your contract of employment. If your contract states that a period of notice must be given, then you have to give notice. Whether the company holds you to that period is up to the company.
You can just walk out but if the company so wishes they can obtain redress through the courts.
If no contract of employment exists then you're probably ok.

I could well be in the same boat as lori&andy. Talk to the employer, most are usually sympathetic to these situations. They can be a bit awkward if you're changing jobs and moving to a competitor but emigrating is a special case surely (famous last words!)
Old Aug 10th 2004, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

My employer was really good but then our house sale went through really quickly so we never really had any trouble on that front.
What i will say though is that if your employer has to fill your position then it does make it awkward for them if you cannot provide a firm date ( understandably ).

I thought employers could only hold back any holiday pay entitled to you for not working your notice

Good luck,

Paul
Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone we have to give four weeks notice, I'll just keep pestering the solicitors and until we get a date, it's just all so stressful at times so much to think about and get organised without work being on your case as well.

Lorraine