Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help on suburbs.....

Help on suburbs.....

Old Jul 10th 2011, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Help on suburbs.....

Well after a false start earlier this year we're on the move from Wellington, New Zealand to Brisbane.

I have a job secured that could be based in either Sydney or Brisbane and been looking through some of the threads here after spending last week in Brisbane.

We'll initially be moving just on my role so while my package is $150K (incl super) i'm under no illusions that we'll probably need to watch what we spend until my wife gets a job sorted.

I had a busy week but managed to get a drive around on the last day and drove south to Manly, Wellington Point and Clevedon and thought the area was ok especially the marina area of Manly.

My job is based in Murrarie but i'll also need to do quite a bit of traveling so the airport will be a regular place i need to get to and from so after a few ideas of what suburbs might fit what we need.

What we're after is 30 mins max from murrarie, 4 bed + house with pool and a garden for circa $750 max with a nice smaller suburb feel to it.....cafes etc and ideally with access to a beach or short drive to one for walking the dog.

Ideas anyone as starting points..... I liked Manly town centre so views on Manly and schools in the area also greatly appreciated?

Last edited by teambwr47; Jul 10th 2011 at 5:42 am.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on suburbs.....

While being near the river rather than the beach I think Bulimba is the pick of the cafe suburbs in that area if needing to be near Murrarie:

(http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/docum...n_strategy.pdf)

It has a nice local shopping strip with a supermarket, pubs, cafes, restaurants, shops etc:

Oxford St by Andrew Tallon, on Flickr

bulimba park by a_li_sa, on Flickr

The front of Riverbend Bookshop by Meg&Fred, on Flickr

Ahmets-Bulimba-Brisbane-Restaurant6148-10 by Eatout-Brisbane, on Flickr

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

A lovely park right next to the cafes:

Memorial Park Bulimba by ronpass, on Flickr

P1000546 by ronpass, on Flickr

A par 3 golf course:

(http://www.bulimbagolfclub.com.au/)

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Local cinemas:

mjc-101023-5345 by wiccked, on Flickr

Balmoral Cin1 (1) by madmaggs, on Flickr

Hawthorne - Cin1 - 2 by madmaggs, on Flickr

Balmoral Cin2 (1) by madmaggs, on Flickr

Hawthorne - Cin3 by madmaggs, on Flickr

(http://www.cineplex.com.au/sessions-BM.php)

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A direct citycat link to the city at the end of the street:

Classic ferry berth at Bulimba by crissouli, on Flickr

Brisbane CityCat by Garry - www.visionandimagination.com, on Flickr

Saturday @ South Bank by Montse Balbuena, on Flickr

(http://translink.com.au/resources/tr...18_citycat.pdf)

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which drops you right into the city in 20 minutes or so:

Brisbane City by TitanRain, on Flickr

Brisbane riverside by royskeane, on Flickr

Brisbane Riverside Markets by Stewart Lines, on Flickr

(http://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/Default.aspx)

Or the beach in the city in a few minutes more:

Brisbane Skyline by swish images, on Flickr

Southbank Beach by . Ben Wynn ., on Flickr

(http://www.visitsouthbank.com.au/)

Pretty nice way to arrive for a night out as well:

Brisbane River and his Skyline_ by Rgs_, on Flickr

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 3:06 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It has lovely old character queenslander homes:

A walk in Bulimba by heidi_K, on Flickr

(http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/wit...ort=price-desc)

And some well regarded local schools:

(http://www.stspp.qld.edu.au/)

(http://www.bulimbasspc.org.au/index.html)

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The house would have to be more modest to live there rather than out on the bayside where they are cheap - but it could be a very nice place to live so thought you might want to consider it.

The only problem is where to exercise the dog.

You could do it in the local streets, parks, dog parks or along the river paths:

Walking a street out is Brisbane River by vinkyho, on Flickr

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It even has its own open to everyone community choir

"Morningsong is a dynamic, vibrant non-auditioned community choir which sings inspiring songs and harmonies from different cultures around the world. It's friendly, informal and fun."

(http://www.morningsong.com.au/)

And the soft sell from brisbane city council

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 10th 2011 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi

Welive in Manly and love the small community feel. Our daughter goes to manly state school (grade1) and is extremely settled. The school has a strict catchment so it can be difficult to find a house within in it but $750 should secure something nice.
We spend alot of time down on the esplanade after school, bbqs, playdates and walking the dog. I find everything i need is in the area and rarely have to cross the gateway into the city!!! There are other English /irish people and the parents at school tended to be older (late 30+) and professional.

Pm me if you want to know anymore.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:24 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I think Fish must have a love affair with Bulimba! Nice area, but I think Manly (or somewhere around the coast there) fits your requirements a lot better.

Just bear in mind that the traffic from that area in towards the city in the morning (and out again in the evening) can be hell. The traffic reports on the radio are always mentioning holdups out there.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just curious, why do you pay a toll to cross the gateway to get to the city rather than go the normal way?
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I think Fish must have a love affair with Bulimba! Nice area, but I think Manly (or somewhere around the coast there) fits your requirements a lot better.
I do now after doing that...it was fun Personally given how little we know about the op they could love bulimba so now they at least have the choice as it meets many of their requirements. Given the OP has already "drove south to Manly, Wellington Point and Clevedon and thought the area was ok" they asked for ideas on other suburbs as well that might fit their needs.

Tis a tough thing in a new city.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

That was sweet Fish.01 - you could work for the Bulimba Tourist Board (if they had one!)
Actually, you should put that in a seperate thread, and make different threads for different suburbs, would be great for people making decisions about where to live!
Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

We started off in bulimba before Manly and if wewere pre or post young kids it would be lovely to live there - with a 4 & 6 year old the coast has more to offer them.
OH drives to the valley at 7 over the gateway in 30 mins and is home by 5.30 ... Murrarie an easier drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.