Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with Spa Prep/installation please!!!

Help with Spa Prep/installation please!!!

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 2:48 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with Spa Prep/installation please!!!

Some of you may remember I did a thread almost 3 years ago when I was wanting to know more about spa/swimming pools.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=Spa

Well I'm finally able to afford it after installing air con and solar power!, and have put a deposit down on a 5-6 seater spa (the one in the picture)

I really need advice from anyone who has done the preparation prior to getting the spa delivered, as I seem to be going round in circles about what to do first!

I know that my spa requires hard wiring. Have been in touch with sparky, but not very helpful, and asking me to measure how far it is from elec box to spa. Have no way of knowing that as haven't got spa yet. Does he come after the spa has been delivered?

I also know I need a slab/stable surface to put the spa on. Have got 2 quotes but not many people returning to us with prices, and what we've been quoted very expensive
If I had a slab put down I would need to make provision so the wiring could be done afterwards (tubing)
Friends have said get a slab so big that there is a small boarder around the spa so it's easier for the sparky. But how do I continue the flooring beyond the spa with it looking crap?

Have cleared the land and it is all back to sand, so that's one less thing to do.

So what's best way to go about it?

Probably worrying too much, but just seem to be getting nowhere!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails Help with Spa Prep/installation please!!!-img_0355.jpg  
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:01 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Spa Prep/installation please!!!

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Some of you may remember I did a thread almost 3 years ago when I was wanting to know more about spa/swimming pools.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=Spa

Well I'm finally able to afford it after installing air con and solar power!, and have put a deposit down on a 5-6 seater spa (the one in the picture)

I really need advice from anyone who has done the preparation prior to getting the spa delivered, as I seem to be going round in circles about what to do first!

I know that my spa requires hard wiring. Have been in touch with sparky, but not very helpful, and asking me to measure how far it is from elec box to spa. Have no way of knowing that as haven't got spa yet. Does he come after the spa has been delivered?

I also know I need a slab/stable surface to put the spa on. Have got 2 quotes but not many people returning to us with prices, and what we've been quoted very expensive
If I had a slab put down I would need to make provision so the wiring could be done afterwards (tubing)
Friends have said get a slab so big that there is a small boarder around the spa so it's easier for the sparky. But how do I continue the flooring beyond the spa with it looking crap?

Have cleared the land and it is all back to sand, so that's one less thing to do.

So what's best way to go about it?

Probably worrying too much, but just seem to be getting nowhere!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
All you need to do is get a slab of concrete big enough to fit the spa on to and don't forget you may need steps in front to climb up so make sure room for that as well. Make it big enough to comfortably fit the spa and steps on and the bigger the better really.

The sparky should come fit the electrics before you get the spa delivered as the spa people normally connect it before they leave and in our case also filled it with water to check it was working OK.

The sparky will connect the electrics from the electricity box to wherever you are placing the spa.

Do you need a pool fence around your spa as I'm not sure of the legalities in your state but you need to check it out mate

Enjoy the bubbles - don't let the OH in after eating anything spicy. the bubbles won't be the spa
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:55 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
All you need to do is get a slab of concrete big enough to fit the spa on to and don't forget you may need steps in front to climb up so make sure room for that as well. Make it big enough to comfortably fit the spa and steps on and the bigger the better really.

The sparky should come fit the electrics before you get the spa delivered as the spa people normally connect it before they leave and in our case also filled it with water to check it was working OK.

The sparky will connect the electrics from the electricity box to wherever you are placing the spa.

Do you need a pool fence around your spa as I'm not sure of the legalities in your state but you need to check it out mate

Enjoy the bubbles - don't let the OH in after eating anything spicy. the bubbles won't be the spa
Thanks for that.

Looks like I'll have to get in touch with the sparky again. Does he need to come and lay piping before the slab is laid?

There are steps included in the deal so will need to make the pad bigger for them. I also know it has to be 100mm thick.

I have already worked out where fence will go if required. Although I know 2 people who have spas in my suburb and they haven't got fencing or self locking doors/windows.

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Apr 3rd 2011 at 3:57 pm. Reason: missed something
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:11 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

Looks like I'll have to get in touch with the sparky again. Does he need to come and lay piping before the slab is laid?

There are steps included in the deal so will need to make the pad bigger for them. I also know it has to be 100mm thick.

I have already worked out where fence will go if required. Although I know 2 people who have spas in my suburb and they haven't got fencing or self locking doors/windows.
The piping doesn't go in the slab, its just waterproof conduit

The sparky just puts a power point in within the required guidelines due to it being a wet area. Basically that's all the sparky does i.e. puts a plug in to plug in your spa and it is direct from the fuse box.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:21 pm

The piping doesn't go in the slab, its just waterproof conduit

The sparky just puts a power point in within the required guidelines due to it being a wet area. Basically that's all the sparky does i.e. puts a plug in to plug in your spa and it is direct from the fuse box.
That's what I meant conduit

So does it not matter if you do that bit before of after the slab then?
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:32 pm

That's what I meant conduit

So does it not matter if you do that bit before of after the slab then?
We had the concrete down then got the sparky in then had the spa delivered.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:34 pm

We had the concrete down then got the sparky in then had the spa delivered.
Great stuff thanks.

It was just the order of things I was having trouble with

Much clearer now thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:35 pm

Great stuff thanks.

It was just the order of things I was having trouble with

Much clearer now thanks
thank fluck for that you were doin me head in

I hope we get a piccie of the spa once it's in

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Apr 3rd 2011 at 4:43 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:56 pm

thank fluck for that you were doin me head in

I hope we get a piccie of the spa once it's in
It's been doing my head in for months!

Course there'll be a few pictures.

There were 279 photos and almost 60 pages on the progress of my house build in 2007.

Obviously won't be that many this time though
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 5:47 pm

It's been doing my head in for months!

Course there'll be a few pictures.

There were 279 photos and almost 60 pages on the progress of my house build in 2007.

Obviously won't be that many this time though
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

You will need fencing around the spa.It will have to be of the same requirements as if you had a pool in.We have two spas(dont ask).We have fencing around one and even then we had to moderate it.We have no water in the other one.Have you thought of how you are getting it in to your garden.We had to have ours craned in.Roughly $1,000.It is hooked up for electricity and gas.It was expensive getting it hooked up to gas.Good luck with yours.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

I think fencing is now mandatory in all states ?
Attached Files

Last edited by Rossi; Apr 4th 2011 at 11:38 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rossi
I think fencing is now mandatory in all states ?
Not in NSW where a suitable cover is OK:

"A spa pool is not required to be surrounded by a child-resistant barrier so long as access to the water contained in the spa pool is restricted, in accordance with the standards prescribed by the regulations, at all times when the spa pool is not in actual use."

We created our hard standing ourselves (hardcore and concrete) and then the OH ran the wire under the house and through conduit so there was one end of the wire near the fuse box and the other near where the spa was to be located (Sparky said for him to do that to avoid him having to crawl under the house). We then got the spa installed and placed on the concrete and the sparky to connect both ends of the wire and install a suitable connection at the fuse box (the spa had an isolator fitted already) and filled the spa, sat around waiting for it to get bearable to jump in then off we went.

But we did buy a second hand spa via eBay so had to arrange everything ourselves, if you are buying new then ask to dealer.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Dont need a fence round ours in "QLD. Kids are always falling in ours and i keep telling them not too!! Sill
y buggers, serves themselves right!!!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Dont need a fence round ours in "QLD. Kids are always falling in ours and i keep telling them not too!! Sill
y buggers, serves themselves right!!!
[From 1st DECEMBER 2010 a Pool Fence Safety Compliance Certificate is required for existing pools and spas http://www.pfiq.com.au/ spas]

[Portable pools and spas covered by the new laws

If your portable pool or spa can hold more than 300 millimetres of water, has a volume of more than 2000 litres or has a filtration system, the new laws apply to you. You will need to:

obtain a certificate from a licensed building certifier stating that your pool complies with the pool safety standard, before filling the pool or spa with more than 300mm of water
obtain a building approval
register your pool or spa by 4 May 2011.

If you are selling, buying or leasing your property a pool on or after 1 December 2010, a safety certificate is required from a licensed pool safety inspector. Alternatively, the portable pool or spa can be removed.]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.