Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! Should we give up secure jobs here and arrive jobless?

HELP! Should we give up secure jobs here and arrive jobless?

Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future
Default HELP! Should we give up secure jobs here and arrive jobless?

Hi guys...

My OH is an operations/production manager with a masters in business admin....we have had our visa since oct '08 and have applied for numerous jobs with no luck! People keep telling us that we need to be in Oz really for employers to take us seriously! So...shall we bite the bullet and arrive jobless with maybe $60,000 cash to support us or wait here in a secure job until Paul gets a job offer??? It's a dilema!!

Paul has put his cv on seek...career one etc. but no luck!

Lisa,xx
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice
Default Re: HELP! Should we give up secure jobs here and arrive jobless?

Originally Posted by snoo
Hi guys...

My OH is an operations/production manager with a masters in business admin....we have had our visa since oct '08 and have applied for numerous jobs with no luck! People keep telling us that we need to be in Oz really for employers to take us seriously! So...shall we bite the bullet and arrive jobless with maybe $60,000 cash to support us or wait here in a secure job until Paul gets a job offer??? It's a dilema!!

Lisa,xx
If you have a good search around on here, you'll see what people have been telling you is correct. Agencies etc. won't bother with you if you are not physically here (and then again they don't really take much notice of you when you are here ). In this current market, the only areas that seem to show an interest while someone is still in the UK is something where there is a critical shortage eg. nursing. I'm sorry to say that unless you have a critical skill that you are going to be headhunted for, if you still want to come you'll have to do what a lot of people here have done and come armed with cash, a plan, determination, and be prepared for knock-backs. If you wait for a job offer to come your way while still in the UK, be prepared for a very long wait. Sorry can't be more positive.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

In that field i would say you need to be here!

But its your risk... jobs are picking up from november.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:41 am
ABCDiamond

I would wait a while longer. The job market isn't what it was, and if you are able to wait, then I would do just that if it was me.

See what happens in 3 to 6 months. Who knows how things will go, in either country.

Most employers will give preference to someone already here, but with unemployment rising, unless you are in a real "In Demand" job, then you also have to accept that they also tend to give preference to people with 'local knowledge'.

In this market, you would probably have to wait a while before getting a job.

If he does get offered a job while waiting, then all the better.

Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Thanks for all of the quick replies!! WOW!!

Yes...I think you are all right! We will be staying here for another 6months anyway as I've just had a major operation with a 3 month recovery time! So this will give us plenty of time to apply for more jobs...and get no replies (ha ha!!)....but eventually we WILL have to get on a plane and get our bums over there!

Thanks again for the advice...Paul is thinking of maybe coming over for a week or so just to apply for work and aproach companies....what do you guys think of this?

Lisa,xx

Last edited by snoo; Feb 13th 2009 at 11:06 am.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys...

Lisa,xx
Hi Snoo, I'm in the same boat as your OH. What ABCDiamond said makes sense. There's nothing wrong with coming downunder jobless but it is not possibly the right time. If you can wait for a while, I guess it will be prudent to do so. Well, I have decided to wait before I give up my current job and start eating up my savings. Australian $60,000 will take take you through a year and a half if you are on strict budget.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:56 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks again for the advice...Paul is thinking of maybe coming over for a week or so just to apply for work and approach companies....what do you guys think of this?

Lisa,xx
Great idea to check the place out if you can

Is your 18 year old on the Visa too ?

Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

$60 grand to drop and no job? you're a godsend. stop wasting time and get on that plane. think about the lifestyle. and the beaches. and the vegetables. the ****ing vegetables.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:06 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys...

Lisa,xx
Hmm I think a trip for a week would be a awful waste of money to be honest. At present keep up the search in the UK and come over when things look good or find someone to lend you an Aussie address and contact number.

Its a good way to see if being here will get you anywhere. If jobs start biting start packing
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caliburn
Hi Snoo, I'm in the same boat as your OH. What ABCDiamond said makes sense. There's nothing wrong with coming downunder jobless but it is not possibly the right time. If you can wait for a while, I guess it will be prudent to do so. Well, I have decided to wait before I give up my current job and start eating up my savings. Australian $60,000 will take take you through a year and a half if you are on strict budget.
Hi Cal....a year or so on the cash we have should be plenty of time to find work....although Paul's job is limited to maybe a couple of possitions within a company! He'll have to shelf stack!! HA!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Great idea to check the place out if you can

Is your 18 year old on the Visa too ?
Yes our Son Lloyd is on our visa...which we validated last Dec...he's at uni at the mo and unsure as to what he will do in the future!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lastere
$60 grand to drop and no job? you're a godsend. stop wasting time and get on that plane. think about the lifestyle. and the beaches. and the vegetables. the ****ing vegetables.
I'm a godsend? Am I? Thanks!! I'm not sure what you mean but thanks it sounds like a complement!! Actually it's not a lot of money really is it...not if we want to buy a house at some point...although I do have a small inheritance in the future which will cover a deposit of perhaps $120,000, so I'm not panicing! And yes...the thought of those BEAUTIFUL beaches are keeping me sane whilst I recover from my op in my sickbed!!!! HA HA!! I think it's prob ME that you are referring to as a vegetable...I'm certainly feeling like one at the mo...haha!

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hmm I think a trip for a week would be a awful waste of money to be honest. At present keep up the search in the UK and come over when things look good or find someone to lend you an Aussie address and contact number.

Its a good way to see if being here will get you anywhere. If jobs start biting start packing
Maybe...just wanted people's opinions..so thanks for that Z!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:57 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

This whole thing takes a certain amount of balls. Aussies use the phrase "she'll be right". To some degree you just have to take a chance and hope you are the sort of person who will make it happen.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worzel
This whole thing takes a certain amount of balls. Aussies use the phrase "she'll be right". To some degree you just have to take a chance and hope you are the sort of person who will make it happen.

Thanks Worzel...actually apart from the work situation being a small problem we can't wait to get there! And we have No INTENTIONS of ever coming back here no matter what we encounter there!(I know people will say...'oh you can't say that...you don't know how you'll feel until you actually live here! But those people need to be in my shoes to make that assumption!) I do believe that it makes a massive difference where abouts in the UK you live as to what a difference moving to Oz makes to your lives. I'm not going to start on my soap box about Blackburn (where we have always lived!) or I'd never stop! But we don't really feel apprehensive or that we need 'balls' to move....we would need bigger, hairier balls to STAY here...believe me! HAHA! We just feel extremely lucky to have the visa and a ticket out of here! We will MAKE our future in OZ whatever trials we face!

Thanks again Worzel! Lisa,xx
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

I'm not going to start on my soap box about Blackburn (where we have always lived!) or I'd never stop!
You should have said that earlier!! Start planning the escape now...we came from just down the road in Chorley...Stuff the earlier advice - go for it!!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillsyandtheTroop
You should have said that earlier!! Start planning the escape now...we came from just down the road in Chorley...Stuff the earlier advice - go for it!!!!!

HAAA!! Don't!!!!! My stitches will split and my guts will fall out!!! HAHAH!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.