Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with Shipping

Help with Shipping

Old May 29th 2006, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

SarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the rough
Question Help with Shipping

Hi all,

Hubby and I plan to make the move down to Melbourne at the end of October. However, in mid June, we have to move into a temporary place until end Sept, so we've decided to pack up a bunch of our stuff right now that we won't need until Australia. We'd like some info on how to do some of the packing ourselves.

First of all, we're in Germany, so none of the UK shipping companies would be of any help to us.

What are some things that we are absolutely NOT able to bring? I have heard that it is ok to bring over some food, as long as it's in jars or otherwise preserved. Is this true? How about mattresses? Bed linen? Other "natural" items? Alcohol?

Are there forms and guidelines online somewhere (I'm sure there is, but don't know where)?

Thanks for any help you can provide..
Old May 29th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Shipping

Originally Posted by SarahMarx
Hi all,

Hubby and I plan to make the move down to Melbourne at the end of October. However, in mid June, we have to move into a temporary place until end Sept, so we've decided to pack up a bunch of our stuff right now that we won't need until Australia. We'd like some info on how to do some of the packing ourselves.

First of all, we're in Germany, so none of the UK shipping companies would be of any help to us.

What are some things that we are absolutely NOT able to bring? I have heard that it is ok to bring over some food, as long as it's in jars or otherwise preserved. Is this true? How about mattresses? Bed linen? Other "natural" items? Alcohol?

Are there forms and guidelines online somewhere (I'm sure there is, but don't know where)?

Sadly I'm not sure where the online info is, either. From experience I can say that:

- yes, foodstuffs like that are okay. Just make sure that you declare them all. If there's anything you're not allowed in your declaration they just take it off you - unlike if you don't declare it and they find it, when they fine you
- Booze is fine But you may have to pay duty on it depending on how much you bring. I believe you can also bring opened bottles in your shipment, but we didn't, so I didn't push the question.
- Wooden stuff is fine as long as it's old. There's some other rules about this that I'm not sure about.
- Bed linen is certainly okay. Most beds here are queen size, rather than your standard double, but if you're bringing your bed too, then that won't matter.

I'm sure someone will have more sensible answers than that...
Old May 29th 2006, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

SarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thribble
Sadly I'm not sure where the online info is, either. From experience I can say that:

- yes, foodstuffs like that are okay. Just make sure that you declare them all. If there's anything you're not allowed in your declaration they just take it off you - unlike if you don't declare it and they find it, when they fine you
- Booze is fine But you may have to pay duty on it depending on how much you bring. I believe you can also bring opened bottles in your shipment, but we didn't, so I didn't push the question.
- Wooden stuff is fine as long as it's old. There's some other rules about this that I'm not sure about.
- Bed linen is certainly okay. Most beds here are queen size, rather than your standard double, but if you're bringing your bed too, then that won't matter.

I'm sure someone will have more sensible answers than that...
Great! Thanks for the info.

Sounds like declaring is key to everything, eh?

A lot of our stuff (including bed!) is actually from when my hubby lived in Melbourne from 2000-2002. Shipped it all here in 2002, met me, and now we're shipping it all back to Australia.

Oh yeah, how about household appliances (I believe "white goods"--sorry, I'm American/hubby is Swiss!) and electronics? Some of ours are from Australia (ie, fridge, washer, TV), but a couple are from here (tumble drier, computers).

I'll probably add on to the questions.

Thanks!

Chris
Old May 29th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been told:
No food stuffs,
no aerosols,
no untreated woods especially raffia, cane and wicker goods (they will fumigate and it will cost you a packet),
Any electrical items under one year old is liable to 10% tax too.

Good luck with your mood.

Ali
Old May 29th 2006, 2:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahMarx
Hi all,

www.aqis.gov.au

Most food is fine - nofruit,veg, meat or milk products (unless its dry stuff with only a small percentage of dried milk in it. crisps, chocolate, all that kind of thing is fine, just make sure you declare it.
Alcohol - several threads, do a search - there was one yesterday I think. Its basically fine, but declare it and there may be duty to pay.

Bed linen is fine, no worries there.

Wooden stuff is fine - doesn't need to be old or new, just needs to be treated - no woodworm, loose bark etc.
No pine cones - check your Christmas decs!!!!

If in doubt - email the AQIS site, they are very helpful, and if you are concerned about something when you get here, declare it!
Old May 30th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pollyana!

You always have great advice. Looked at the website and looks like we can take a ton (well, up to 20kg) of our favorite Swiss Fondue cheese! Yipee!

My eyes are absolutely buggy from looking at that website.. but it's got a lot of great info...

Thanks!

Chris

Originally Posted by Pollyana
www.aqis.gov.au

Most food is fine - nofruit,veg, meat or milk products (unless its dry stuff with only a small percentage of dried milk in it. crisps, chocolate, all that kind of thing is fine, just make sure you declare it.
Alcohol - several threads, do a search - there was one yesterday I think. Its basically fine, but declare it and there may be duty to pay.

Bed linen is fine, no worries there.

Wooden stuff is fine - doesn't need to be old or new, just needs to be treated - no woodworm, loose bark etc.
No pine cones - check your Christmas decs!!!!

If in doubt - email the AQIS site, they are very helpful, and if you are concerned about something when you get here, declare it!