Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with Rockhampton

Help with Rockhampton

Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:55 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with Rockhampton

Hi Guys and girls

need some help here

got a good friend coming over to Rockhampton...

She needs some advice on good areas and bad

Yes i realise that this has probably been asked before but the search brings up so many results.......

Thanks in advance

Sam xx
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Rockhampton

Originally Posted by Sam
Hi Guys and girls

need some help here

got a good friend coming over to Rockhampton...

She needs some advice on good areas and bad

Yes i realise that this has probably been asked before but the search brings up so many results.......

Thanks in advance

Sam xx
Make sure she has a good look at the flood zoning. Some parts of Rockhampton are very flood prone, so she needs to talk to the local council about that.

Theres not actually that much on here about suburb info for Rockhampton, lots of mentions of it but little real detail. Yeppoon usually gets good press though, try a search on that
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Jeez, I grew up in Rocky. Best advice to your friend would be go somewhere else! Failing that, best parts are the Range (southside) - lots of old Queenslanders with good views and then on northside, Frenchville has probably been the best area over the last few decades. The town is pretty stagnant - not much new industry opening, the Uni is the main employer, followed by the meatworks. Surrounding areas have done better with the boom, some of the mining towns inland are getting more prosperous, but still pretty dire to live in.

Yeppoon is growing and has been for the last 10 years or so, but not much employment there - the dual carriageway all the way to Rocky meant it became communtable with travel <30 mins, but I think the congestion is starting to push that back up.

Rocky is a bit warmer than Brissy, and is a lot more humid. Air-con a must, a pool is also good.

If your friend is desperate to live in regional Qld, there are better places that won't be such a culture shock.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Jeez, I grew up in Rocky. Best advice to your friend would be go somewhere else! Failing that, best parts are the Range (southside) - lots of old Queenslanders with good views and then on northside, Frenchville has probably been the best area over the last few decades. The town is pretty stagnant - not much new industry opening, the Uni is the main employer, followed by the meatworks. Surrounding areas have done better with the boom, some of the mining towns inland are getting more prosperous, but still pretty dire to live in.

Yeppoon is growing and has been for the last 10 years or so, but not much employment there - the dual carriageway all the way to Rocky meant it became communtable with travel <30 mins, but I think the congestion is starting to push that back up.

Rocky is a bit warmer than Brissy, and is a lot more humid. Air-con a must, a pool is also good.

If your friend is desperate to live in regional Qld, there are better places that won't be such a culture shock.
Kind of explains why it hasn't many posts on here, I guess.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Nothing wrong with Rockhampton, its a city and a tidy one at that. PM me if you want some info.....where is your friend going to be working? Yeppoon is a great place to buy at the moment, its growing fast with new shopping centre and new industrial estates opening up
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:33 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

absolutely nothing wrong with Rockhampton. it is a lovely city with a good heritage. My advice is to live closish to where you work that way you can ride a bike to and from work for 9 months of the year as the city is just full of big wide streets.

Would agree that the range is very nice and so close to the botanical gardens. Nice to live in if you can afford it. Wandal was Rockhamptons first truly traditional suburb from the turn of the century before last and plenty of the local leading lights lived in the area. Frenchville the place to be in the 70's and still close to most things in north rocky. Allenstown is ok and has a good primary school. We lived in Kalka for a while and found it quite nice for us. Also lived over kawana way off Richardson Road and that was ok as well. New suburbs are going up to the east of the University and these are very flash although all houses are low set which I don't like in such a warm climate.

the only areas where you might find it not quite so good are depot hill (regularly floods) and some areas of Park Avenue (again prone to flooding) and hence attract the lower rental set. you can view a map at the council that shows you all flood areas for the last 153 years.

If your friend is not used to the warm weather then they might find the coast a bit cooler. Loads of people live on acerage in between town and coast as well.

I loved living in Rockhampton and enjoyed being in a place i new all the neighbours. Never found ourselves without something to do. plenty of sport or clubs to join. loads of weekend activities like 4WD, sailing, surfing, swimming, fishing, bbq every day..............................

when I go back home we shall be living in the vicinity (just have to convince hubby that Mt Morgan is the place to be)
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Well, I'm guess I'm writing from the perspective of someone who didn't have a choice living there but if you seriously like the idea of living in Mt Morgan that explains a lot
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:03 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by James516
Well, I'm guess I'm writing from the perspective of someone who didn't have a choice living there but if you seriously like the idea of living in Mt Morgan that explains a lot
yes the lifestyle is very appealing on the mount. I have several friends (as you do if you family has been in the town since gold was discovered) and a few distant relatives. The lifestyle is very laid back and i like knowing most people i see in the street.

Never bored when I am their for a visit. My friends and I are researching the local history so spend ages sitting on peoples wide verandas having a yarn and a drink. We have loads of other things to do. I have a friend who does wonderful wood turning and carving. we always have a go fossicking for gold here and their.

I would say i do enjoy living in a small rural town and can't wait to move back home permanently.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:06 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the response peeps

i shall be passing it all on to her, i'm hoping at some point that she'll get the courage to join us on here
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, my OH had the possibility of a job in Rocky. We had a bit of a look but decided it would be a nice place to work but I don't think I could live there. I could live in Yeppoon and commute as lots of people do. It's by the coast and cooler, has a mix of older and new housing, schools, shops etc. The school and Uni in Rockhampton seem to have really good reputations though. It depends what your friend's expectations are.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Nicole Arnold will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Help with Rockhampton

Hi Peeps
I've found the courage to join you all thanks Sam

Thank you for all your comments and information good and bad all helps.
We have just had a 457 visa granted and OH has a job to go to in Rocky based in Frenchville, hence the enquiry.

We have never been to au so we are going open minded is how we like to think of it (naive) probably the reality but at least we have nothing to compare it to so will make the best of it.

keep the info coming

Nic
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

http://www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov.../Homepage.aspx

http://www.capricorncoast.com.au/

http://www.capricorncoasteguide.com/

www.podre.com.au postcode 4701 for rocky and 4703 for Yeppoon
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Nicole Arnold will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the links they look well good have saved them and will interrogate
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to BE.... You a Medway lass too?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:27 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Welcome to BE.... You a Medway lass too?
That she is Mark

And just to make her feel really old........

I've known her for .....wait for it.....

32 years!!!!!

Not bad when we're both only 38

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.