Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP required. Looking to move to Australia

HELP required. Looking to move to Australia

Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Singh is King is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP required. Looking to move to Australia

Hi Forum members. New here but have been actively reading the interesting posts.
To keep it short and to the point, I am 46, British Citizen, currently working as an IT Service Desk Analyst for past 6 years and prior to that have spent about 10+ years in Business Travel. Contemplating a move to Australia along with wife, 2 boys and family dog. Process I know is lengthy however can't seem to find any information on the type of visa I can apply for if I want to find work in my current or previous role. All seem to state that you need to be 45 or under at time of application. Does this mean I have lost all hope of a move? Appreciate any assistance/advice on this. Thx
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP required. Looking to move to Australia

Unfortunately the age limit changed recently. It means that a PR visa is just about impossible for 45 and over now. There are some investment visas possible but it doesn’t sound like you would be eligible.
If your wife is younger and has an occupation on the lists she can be the main applicant.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thx Rammygirl. Wife works in a popular and branded Retail store. Would it work if I was to find a company that could sponsor me if a position was available and I was successful?, or is the age still going to be an issue?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sponsored PR visas now have same age limits, sorry. I think the new temporary work sponsored visas could be possible for 2 or 4 years depending on occupation, but these cannot lead to PR if over 45 as you still need to qualify for the PR visa.

The rules changed this month so you may see posts and stories of people coming on temp visas and getting PR, this will be much more difficult now and impossible if over 45.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Thx again Rammygirl. So it looks realistically like that due to my age a move is definitely off the books. If my wife applied instead for one of these visas for example (she is under 45), and we moved, then could we still apply for PR later or would my age stop us "ALL" applying?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife is under 45, then yes she could apply and include the rest of the family on the application as only the main applicant needs to be under 45. However, does she have an occupation on the skills list? You say she works for a store,meowing what?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 5:44 am
Just Joined

@verystormy. She works in fashion retail for a well known store.
If I pen my wife down as the main applicant and let's say for example that a year or 2 down the line whilst out there we apply for PR, then me being over 45 won't cause any problems obtaining permanent residency?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Singh is King
@verystormy. She works in fashion retail for a well known store.
If I pen my wife down as the main applicant and let's say for example that a year or 2 down the line whilst out there we apply for PR, then me being over 45 won't cause any problems obtaining permanent residency?
Unless your wife has a skill on the list then she can't apply for a visa either. What exactly does she do in the well known fashion retail store? Sales clerk or manager? Does she have a degree in her trade?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:44 am
Just Joined

@Dorothy. Sales Assistant/Team Coach
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

@Dorothy. Sales Assistant/Team Coach
That isn't eligible. Sorry, but it seems you don't qualify.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 11:05 am
Just Joined

@verystormy. So does this mean my chances of moving to Australia are basically scuppered?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

@verystormy. So does this mean my chances of moving to Australia are basically scuppered?
Yes. At least on a skilled visa anyway.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

@Dorothy @verystormy

So if skilled visa is out the window then is the only option the investment one where one has to put in xxxxx amount of money or is there a simplified option that doesn't require me to donate/depart with my arms and legs (lol)
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Basically, yes.

The investment route might be possible, but you would need professional advice on this as it is a far from straight forward visa and may only be temporary.