Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help requested - Oz TV / video situation

Help requested - Oz TV / video situation

Old Mar 10th 2004, 2:33 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Unhappy Help requested - Oz TV / video situation

We investigated the TV for australia problems before we left UK and were advised that we could use the UK televisions if we put them thru an australian VCR.

We have tried this - two VCR's and 3 televisions. No luck we can get a perfect picture of course but no sound.

Also we can play our UK tapes thru an australian VCR and an oz TV but using the oz VCR and the UK tv gives us the no sound problem again.

Can anyone put us on the correct track with this. We have to use a booster in the area we live and a kind neighbour has loaned us one which works on the TV she also loaned us but we cannot understand why we are unable to get everything working as was suggested in previous threads. Can ANYONE out there who has tried in Oz and it worked tel us what we should be doing????? Thanks (I hope) :scared:
Old Mar 10th 2004, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Not of much help as I'll have to ask hubby but we bought a oz telly and linked up to UK video and got the same thing. He bought a twiddly bit from Tandy and it worked.

I'm sure someone else will know though.
Di
Old Mar 10th 2004, 2:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Use Oz VCR with the video out and sound out cable, not the aerial cable. You can then play back any vids and use the Oz VCR as a tuner for the UK TV. This is all assuming both your TV and VCR have those outputs and inputs.

You will need to get the cables from Dick smiths. They are just standard hi-fi cables.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Cables - that was it - not twiddly bits.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Pheobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help requested - Oz TV/video situation

Just wondered if UK TV and UK Vid work together if only watching videos when in Oz. I know this doesn't help answer your question, but was curious. Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:14 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have a US video tape (NTSC) that plays on my Oz VCR and TV if anyone's remotely interested. I was quite impressed.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help requested - Oz TV/video situation

Originally posted by Pheobe
Just wondered if UK TV and UK Vid work together if only watching videos when in Oz. I know this doesn't help answer your question, but was curious. Thanks

UK video tapes yes
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help requested - Oz TV/video situation

Originally posted by Pheobe
Yes that will work for videos, even ones you rent out here.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:58 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the nerdy explanation of why a UK tv won't work properly in AUS. Apologies on advance for being an electronics geek !

The reason that the VCR won't put sound into a UK tv set is because you are using an RF cable connection (i.e. a standard aeriel connection lead) which has video and audio signals mixed onto the single cable.

UK tv systems use the PAL method of transmission, the same as the AUS tv systems. They both however use a slightly different flavour of PAL, and the difference is in the audio sub-carrier. What this means is that a UK tv can receive PAL signals of the AUS type but won't be able to decode the sound properly, hence no sound.

The way around this is to get hold of any device that has an AUS PAL tv tuner in it and then take the seperate audio and video signals from that device and plug them into the UK tv, then both video and audio signals will be received fine by the tv. The easiest way to do this is to get an AUS VCR, feed an AUS tv signal into it via an RF cable (standard coaxial tv signal cable) and then wire up the AUS VCR audio and video outputs into the back of your UK tv (either by seperate compostie video and Left/Right audio phono leads or easier with a SCART cable).

Another way is to get a cable/SAT decoder and take the seperate audio/video signals that it produces and feed them into the back of your UK tv.

Just thought that someone might like to know the nerdy reasons why this tv problem appears
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by EssexNobby
Here's the nerdy explanation of why a UK tv won't work properly in AUS. Apologies on advance for being an electronics geek !

The reason that the VCR won't put sound into a UK tv set is because you are using an RF cable connection (i.e. a standard aeriel connection lead) which has video and audio signals mixed onto the single cable.

UK tv systems use the PAL method of transmission, the same as the AUS tv systems. They both however use a slightly different flavour of PAL, and the difference is in the audio sub-carrier. What this means is that a UK tv can receive PAL signals of the AUS type but won't be able to decode the sound properly, hence no sound.

The way around this is to get hold of any device that has an AUS PAL tv tuner in it and then take the seperate audio and video signals from that device and plug them into the UK tv, then both video and audio signals will be received fine by the tv. The easiest way to do this is to get an AUS VCR, feed an AUS tv signal into it via an RF cable (standard coaxial tv signal cable) and then wire up the AUS VCR audio and video outputs into the back of your UK tv (either by seperate compostie video and Left/Right audio phono leads or easier with a SCART cable).

Another way is to get a cable/SAT decoder and take the seperate audio/video signals that it produces and feed them into the back of your UK tv.

Just thought that someone might like to know the nerdy reasons why this tv problem appears
wow, you weren't kidding about being a nerdy geek!

I bet you're 42, live at home with your mum, and your favourite possession is a brown and cream striped tank top she knitted you in 1974
Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:25 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

EssexNobby

Fantastic explanation mate. Started reading that having read a few other on the same subject and still not having a clue.......I read yours, and now I understand!

You should write instructions manuals.....not that us blokes would read them though eh?!!

Marko
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:08 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Thanks for all your help folks Went to buy the 'twiddley bit' from Tandy (Smiths) and the bloke there was very helpful he asked sus if there was a 'thing' in the loft on the aerial wire (n ot a booster) but something that returns the signal back up the pole???? he thinks the previous owners took it with them (I would not be surprised they were W*****s!)

So he advised us to look and see - showed us a similar 'thing' and will order it for us (about $86) if there is not one and this will do all 3 tv's We also got the twiddley bit as the oz vcr does not have a skart plug on it and we needed a non skart to skart lead If we have luck will keep you all posted.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 6:07 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Hi Colin,

Wow....DeJa Vu, or what!!

We've had this conversation before, haven't we? I'm sure we have!

Yes, we did......and every time I suggested spending the $80 to get the tv converted so people wouldn't have to mess about with extra leads, buying oz video recorders and going down to tandy's for 'twiddly bits'.

And what happens? People take the easy option and buy an aussie video recorder at who knows what price and find that they still have problems!

Get you TV converted, that way you don't need to use up the scart socket. That leaves the scart socket free for your dvd/playstation/whatever. You don't need to be changing leads over and taking trips to tandy's!

I dread to think what money people are wasting on bits and trips they don't need.

Don't bother EssexNobby, they've all been told before!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=pal

Steve
Old Mar 11th 2004, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Aussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really nice

First put your TV on the AV station.
The lead is called an RCA lead.RED YELLOW WHITE{some black}.
Plug Yellow into video out on Video the red into audio out white/
black into other audio out.
Plug the other end of cable into Video in Audio in on back of TV.
If you need a Skart plug to connect to your tv go to Dick Smith or Tandy about $20 .
Put the lead from your video into the three holes on the back of the skart plug flick the switch if it has on to video in and plug into your tv.
Plug the ariel into the video and you can use the video to change tv channels.
All Aussie videos in the last 5 years play Pal and NTSC tapes.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Hi Colin,

Wow....DeJa Vu, or what!!

We've had this conversation before, haven't we? I'm sure we have!

Yes, we did......and every time I suggested spending the $80 to get the tv converted so people wouldn't have to mess about with extra leads, buying oz video recorders and going down to tandy's for 'twiddly bits'.

And what happens? People take the easy option and buy an aussie video recorder at who knows what price and find that they still have problems!

Get you TV converted, that way you don't need to use up the scart socket. That leaves the scart socket free for your dvd/playstation/whatever. You don't need to be changing leads over and taking trips to tandy's!

I dread to think what money people are wasting on bits and trips they don't need.

Don't bother EssexNobby, they've all been told before!

Steve
But not all UK TVs wil convert...so in that respect, isn't Nobby's solution to hook up to an Aussie device bringing in a signal correct?

We paid $70 for a conversion that failed so had to buy an Aussie VCR as the only way to keep the UK TV going

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.