Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - rent arrears issue from 1yr ago??

Help - rent arrears issue from 1yr ago??

Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Help - rent arrears issue from 1yr ago??

We've been renting for nearly 18 months through a rental agent and pay each week, usually via internet banking. Received a form 21 last week claiming we were a week behind with rent. Rang them straight away to query it and after a few minutes was told that we'd missed a weeks rent in Jan 08!! This has taken them a year to identify this?? Unfortunately we didn't make a payment via the internet so no record exists but we made a substantial cash withdrawal on this day and we did occasionally pay cash if we'd forgotten to set up the bank transfer in time so we're certain that we paid cash to them on this date. Also in our general springclean I have thrown out rent receipts once they were more than 6 months old as I didn't see any point in keeping them
We have asked the agent why this wasn't picked up before and asked if our names appeared on any arrears list but they claim they no longer have these lists.
Anyone got any advice on where we should go next?

We've spoken to the owner and as far as he is concerned we are up to date and I think he has to agree to them taking further action which I don't believe he will do.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:17 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - rent arrears issue from 1yr ago??

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
We've been renting for nearly 18 months through a rental agent and pay each week, usually via internet banking. Received a form 21 last week claiming we were a week behind with rent. Rang them straight away to query it and after a few minutes was told that we'd missed a weeks rent in Jan 08!! This has taken them a year to identify this?? Unfortunately we didn't make a payment via the internet so no record exists but we made a substantial cash withdrawal on this day and we did occasionally pay cash if we'd forgotten to set up the bank transfer in time so we're certain that we paid cash to them on this date. Also in our general springclean I have thrown out rent receipts once they were more than 6 months old as I didn't see any point in keeping them
We have asked the agent why this wasn't picked up before and asked if our names appeared on any arrears list but they claim they no longer have these lists.
Anyone got any advice on where we should go next?

We've spoken to the owner and as far as he is concerned we are up to date and I think he has to agree to them taking further action which I don't believe he will do.
Hmm I would think your evidence of withdrawal and the time it has taken them to spot this leaves you in the clear.

Just tell the you paid them that week and they are such an good rental company they could not possibly have let you not pay a weeks rent.

As long as you know you paid tell them to head off. Chances are you paid in cash and someone's had a good weekend.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Surely they would have to keep copies of their recipt books. Ask to see the recipt book for the month of January 2008. If you were issued a recipt a duplicate will be there. If not then you have no proof that you actually paid.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Surely they would have to keep copies of their recipt books. Ask to see the recipt book for the month of January 2008. If you were issued a recipt a duplicate will be there. If not then you have no proof that you actually paid.
Good idea if they alwasy worte receipts there should be a record, and failing that perhaps as there is a slight discrepency which is eaily done, maybe agree to pay half and split the difference. If the owner is happy then I wouldnt worry too much. If he was that bothered he would have noticed himself.