Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help re UK driving licence

Help re UK driving licence

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice
Default Help re UK driving licence

Hi all

Just wondered what to do. I have the 'old' style driving licence whilst hubbie has already obtained the 'new' style.

Should I be replacing my old licence or will that be useless when I get to Perth? Do I apply for an Australian licence or would they need me to already be in possession of the 'new' style'?

A very rambling question but I am sure someone will be able to answer.

Thanks
Theresa
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:52 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help re UK driving licence

Originally Posted by hooperhome
Hi all

Just wondered what to do. I have the 'old' style driving licence whilst hubbie has already obtained the 'new' style.

Should I be replacing my old licence or will that be useless when I get to Perth? Do I apply for an Australian licence or would they need me to already be in possession of the 'new' style'?

A very rambling question but I am sure someone will be able to answer.

Thanks
Theresa
Hi Theresa

Both myself and my husband had the old style licence but we got aussie licences within days of arriving here. It is very handy to have photo ID, especially Australian ID so I would recommend that you just head down to your local RTA office when you recover from the jet lag!

Binbird
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

armorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nice

Hi Binbird,

Picking up on your comment about obtaining Aussie driving licences as soon as you arrived - was this a straightforward procedure? As in, you are offered one without having to resit any driving tests?

Cheers,

Andy

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi Theresa

Both myself and my husband had the old style licence but we got aussie licences within days of arriving here. It is very handy to have photo ID, especially Australian ID so I would recommend that you just head down to your local RTA office when you recover from the jet lag!

Binbird
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:00 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy

All states are different so I can only talk about QLD where you have to sit the theory test but not the actually physical driving test.

Thanks
TT

Originally Posted by armorris007
Hi Binbird,

Picking up on your comment about obtaining Aussie driving licences as soon as you arrived - was this a straightforward procedure? As in, you are offered one without having to resit any driving tests?

Cheers,

Andy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:18 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Looks like WA make you sit a test.
Have a look under 'Transferring your overseas drivers licence ' on this page...
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/mylicence/1363.asp
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

WA - No theory test required
If you are the holder of a licence from a 'recognised country', you are not required to sit the road rules theory test or the motorcycle theory test (if applicable). However, you are still required to sit the heavy vehicles theory test if you are applying for the equivalent WA classes.
If you are under 19 or have held your overseas licence for less than two years, you will get a probationary WA licence. A probationary licence means that you will be required to display 'P' plates when driving until the probationary period expires.

Driving

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jan 4th 2006 at 12:23 am.

Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
WA - No theory test required
If you are the holder of a licence from a 'recognised country', you are not required to sit the road rules theory test or the motorcycle theory test (if applicable). However, you are still required to sit the heavy vehicles theory test if you are applying for the equivalent WA classes.
If you are under 19 or have held your overseas licence for less than two years, you will get a probationary WA licence. A probationary licence means that you will be required to display 'P' plates when driving until the probationary period expires.
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/mylicence/1363.aspl

Driving
ah, I didn't scroll down the page far enough.
Best leaving these things to the experts hey ABCD?
PS your link don't work so now we're even
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Looks like WA make you sit a test.
Have a look under 'Transferring your overseas drivers licence ' on this page...
No test in WA. Takes about 20 minutes to sort out & costs around AUD140 for 5 years.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No test in WA. Takes about 20 minutes to sort out & costs around AUD140 for 5 years.
What he just said!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by gedge
ah, I didn't scroll down the page far enough.
Best leaving these things to the experts hey ABCD?
PS your link don't work so now we're even
Thanks for letting me know (I'll send you some karma)

I've updated it on my website too, it had an extra letter "L" in the link somehow !

Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Thanks for letting me know (I'll send you some karma)

I've updated it on my website too, it had an extra letter "L" in the link somehow !
That's alright, I was just being picky.
Thought your link was different to mine, as your answer was different.
It was just that I hadn't read the whole page.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:42 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by armorris007
Hi Binbird,

Cheers,

Andy

Here in NSW there are no tests (other than a quick eyesight check at the counter). All we needed were our passports and documentation showing proof of Australian address. You don't even need to take photos with you as they take them then and there so don't go in if you are having a bad hair day! :scared:

Binbird
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

armorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nice

Many thanks to everyone for your informative replies.

Just our luck - we're off to Queensland ... so it sounds like we'll be sitting the theory test. Small price to pay though for the lifestyle ahead (with any luck).

Cheers,

Andy

Originally Posted by binbird
Here in NSW there are no tests (other than a quick eyesight check at the counter). All we needed were our passports and documentation showing proof of Australian address. You don't even need to take photos with you as they take them then and there so don't go in if you are having a bad hair day! :scared:

Binbird