Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help re UK bank accounts

Help re UK bank accounts

Old May 29th 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default Help re UK bank accounts

I know this type of subject has been covered many times on here and I have read all the threads but haven't seen one with an answer to my particular problem.

We geniunely move between Aus and UK (say every 9 months) for work and I have residency here in Aus but am a UK citizen.

Whenever trying to open a UK savings account etc from here (Aus) I always get rejected and even if I open one when at home, they complain when I go back to Aus and say if I am now living in Aus I shouldn't have savings in my account.

I would describe myself as 'ordinarily' a UK resident, and I am not trying to cheat anyone or do anything illegal but its getting very annoying.

Surely there must be others in this position. The Aussie banks seem much more relaxed and ANZ told me I can happily keep my savings there even if I go back to the UK for a very long time.

What are the options? Does HSBC do an international account? Am I within my rights to hold savings in the UK even if I stay here for say 18 months? Very confused.
Old May 29th 2009, 2:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help re UK bank accounts

We are citizens of Aus and still have a UK account with First Direct. They happily send us advertising rubbish and statement info and have no issues when we ring up to move money about. Many other people on here have money in UK accounts as well.
Old May 29th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Maybe I'm just trying for the wrong accounts. Some even want the name and address of your current UK employer which is impossible when you are in Oz.
Old May 29th 2009, 2:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We are citizens of Aus and still have a UK account with First Direct. They happily send us advertising rubbish and statement info and have no issues when we ring up to move money about. Many other people on here have money in UK accounts as well.
I've got accounts with Lloyds still, which I use mainly when I'm in the UK, and these include an online savings account I opened after I moved here.
There's nothing illegal about having accounts in two countries. If your bank is being picky just open an account using your address over there and when over here just get the statements redircected. No need to tell them you are here for a fe months.
Old May 29th 2009, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. Its the opening from here that is the real problem. I have a halifax acount that I've had all my life but wanted to open an online saver with decent rates so it would have to be non-halifax. Will keep trying.

I notice the small print on most of them says to receive any interest you must be 'ordinarily' resident in the UK. Not sure what the exact legal requirements are though.
Old May 29th 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

i still have all my uk accounts, isas ,savings, general account and call them most days (thats a whole over thread though..lol) and they have never mentioned i cant have them just because i am in australia!

Try a different bank maybe, or just dont tell them you are in oz, just asked for online banking only.