Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help for a potential new consumer in Australia

help for a potential new consumer in Australia

Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:38 am
Just Joined

trevd72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help for a potential new consumer in Australia

there is a good site at www.buy.co.uk that compares different services to make it easier to decide where to get your loan from fror example.

Are there similiar sites with information about best banks, credit cards, ISP, water, electric, supermarkets, computer retailers etc.

i guess like most of you we will be going to australia as blind consumer there for picking by. for me this is one of the things at the top of the list of "things that i am a little anxious about", besided the red backs.

I have built up all kinds of consumer knowledge living here such as where to get the cheapest dvd players and which bank to avoid (tsb grrrrrr). A site with all kinds of info like this would be good.

do they have Argos out there?

Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help for a potential new consumer in Australia

Originally posted by trevd72
there is a good site at www.buy.co.uk that compares different services to make it easier to decide where to get your loan from fror example.

Are there similiar sites with information about best banks, credit cards, ISP, water, electric, supermarkets, computer retailers etc.

i guess like most of you we will be going to australia as blind consumer there for picking by. for me this is one of the things at the top of the list of "things that i am a little anxious about", besided the red backs.

I have built up all kinds of consumer knowledge living here such as where to get the cheapest dvd players and which bank to avoid (tsb grrrrrr). A site with all kinds of info like this would be good.

HERES SOME INFO ON REDBACKS
http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/redback.htm
Attached Thumbnails help for a potential new  consumer in Australia-redbackspider.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

No Argos..sorry..

the new help group we are setting up will have a list of comparison shops to UK ie... Bunnings = B&Q
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:49 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Whats Argos?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

They have a Consumer’s Association here, just like in the UK. The equivalent to the Which? Magazine in the UK is called Choice here and their website is www.choice.com.au They are supposedly independent and publish loads of reports comparing various consumer products services etc.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:56 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Whats Argos?

I think the reason brits like Argos so much is that it gives us an opportunity to queue twice in one shopping experience.

You choose your stuff out of the catalogue at home, take it to the shop to fill your order number on a little slip, queue to pay for your goods, then get sent to another part of the shop to queue again to collect your goods.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:04 am
Just Joined

trevd72 is an unknown quantity at this point

i hope that is not life size!!!

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
HERES SOME INFO ON REDBACKS
http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/redback.htm
:scared: :scared:
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
I think the reason brits like Argos so much is that it gives us an opportunity to queue twice in one shopping experience.

You choose your stuff out of the catalogue at home, take it to the shop to fill your order number on a little slip, queue to pay for your goods, then get sent to another part of the shop to queue again to collect your goods.

Not forgetting when you return to exchange damaged goods or get a refund, you are promptly ( after 20 minutes ) served by a dubious looking teenager with braille skin and a total ineptitude to grasp the fundamentals of consumer retail assistance !
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Not forgetting when you return to exchange damaged goods or get a refund, you are promptly ( after 20 minutes ) served by a dubious looking teenager with braille skin and a total ineptitude to grasp the fundamentals of consumer retail assistance !

lol TFA you use the same branch as me, or is that in the person spec nationally?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:10 am
Banned

i hope that is not life size!!!

:scared: :scared:

hahah redbacks are tiny really, but the little buggers hide under the rims of plant pots etc, so when picking a plant pot up be carefullll..... its the huntsman that makes me laugh, its HUMUNGOUS and the bloody thing can Jump, although if it ever did bite you thank god it wasnt a red back..

Friend in South Brissy was putting kids to bed, the kids had left window and fly screen open, and on the wall was a huntsman, she got a plate and tried squashing the bugger... its legs appeared all the way around the perimeter of the plate POKING OUT !!!

scarey
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:11 am
Banned

Originally posted by mcmercer
lol TFA you use the same branch as me, or is that in the person spec nationally?

Lol

A argos
R rarely
G get
O orders
S speedily

Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Lol

A argos
R rarely
G get
O orders
S speedily

Lol or:

Argos staff:

A always
R rude
G grungy
O obnoxious
S spotty.

Sorry to anyone who works there, but if thats not you then you dont work in my branch.

Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:37 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

hahah redbacks are tiny really, but the little buggers hide under the rims of plant pots etc, so when picking a plant pot up be carefullll..... its the huntsman that makes me laugh, its HUMUNGOUS and the bloody thing can Jump, although if it ever did bite you thank god it wasnt a red back..

Friend in South Brissy was putting kids to bed, the kids had left window and fly screen open, and on the wall was a huntsman, she got a plate and tried squashing the bugger... its legs appeared all the way around the perimeter of the plate POKING OUT !!!

scarey
We had a pet huntsman. He was very old, massive, and particularly dull. He lived under the beam in the living room and all he would do was climb down the wall about 6 inches each evening then climb back up again. I'd agree with the plate sizing. Huge.

We had hundreds of red backs in the dunnies - leave them alone and they don't generally bother you. And I got bitten by a white tail...not an experience I'd particularly care to repeat, but nowhere bad as I thought it might be.

Spiders don't worry me...it's snakes that give me the creeps.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:41 am
Banned

Originally posted by bundy
We had a pet huntsman. He was very old, massive, and particularly dull. He lived under the beam in the living room and all he would do was climb down the wall about 6 inches each evening then climb back up again. I'd agree with the plate sizing. Huge.

We had hundreds of red backs in the dunnies - leave them alone and they don't generally bother you. And I got bitten by a white tail...not an experience I'd particularly care to repeat, but nowhere bad as I thought it might be.

Spiders don't worry me...it's snakes that give me the creeps.
its the bloody ants that do my head in, those green ones, that bite you like a wasp !!

we were looking at some blocks of land, and the little critters invaded my "shoe space" argghhhh they NIP ! mind you no lasting effects "twitch"

Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:46 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

its the bloody ants that do my head in, those green ones, that bite you like a wasp !!

we were looking at some blocks of land, and the little critters invaded my "shoe space" argghhhh they NIP ! mind you no lasting effects "twitch"

Don't talk to me about green ants. I'm totally allergic to them and swell up like a balloon. Got bitten on my hand and it started to restrict my throat! Little blighters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.