Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with possible new career (school based)

Help with possible new career (school based)

Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Help with possible new career (school based)

Hi,

apologies to the Mods if this is not where this should be posted - please feel free to move it if necessary.

This question is mainly for those who have/are working in child care of some description in Australia.

Ever since I left school (11 years ago) I have worked mainly in administration. Not surprisingly I have slowly but surely started to loathe working in an office. Ever since high school I have always thought I'd like to work in schools but life seems to have dealt me a different card up until now. Since Jan of this year I have been lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to volunteer in a primary school as a classroom assistant one day per week. Now I can say with certainty that I would love to work in a school environment although I'm not sure in which capacity. I am hoping to keep this position up until the summer hols start in June (we will leave either July/August). My question is this - since I don't have enough time to gain any kind of qualification is there something else I could be doing in this time that will make me more desirable to potential employers in this field in
Australia? I will obviously be asking the Head/various teachers I've worked with to give me a reference/report to take with me.

I'd really just like to make the absolute most of the time I have at the school and would appreciate any advice or comments anyone could give.

Many thanks!

Yvonnex
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:07 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with possible new career (school based)

Originally Posted by YvonnePaul
Hi,

apologies to the Mods if this is not where this should be posted - please feel free to move it if necessary.

This question is mainly for those who have/are working in child care of some description in Australia.

Ever since I left school (11 years ago) I have worked mainly in administration. Not surprisingly I have slowly but surely started to loathe working in an office. Ever since high school I have always thought I'd like to work in schools but life seems to have dealt me a different card up until now. Since Jan of this year I have been lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to volunteer in a primary school as a classroom assistant one day per week. Now I can say with certainty that I would love to work in a school environment although I'm not sure in which capacity. I am hoping to keep this position up until the summer hols start in June (we will leave either July/August). My question is this - since I don't have enough time to gain any kind of qualification is there something else I could be doing in this time that will make me more desirable to potential employers in this field in
Australia? I will obviously be asking the Head/various teachers I've worked with to give me a reference/report to take with me.

I'd really just like to make the absolute most of the time I have at the school and would appreciate any advice or comments anyone could give.

Many thanks!

Yvonnex
hi yvonne. whereabouts are you heading to in oz - that could depend on the 'working in schools' choice.

i was a qualified SEN teachers assistant in the UK (or teachers aides as they call them over here). however, i could not get a job in a school for love nor money. however, if you do a search using teachers aide/teaching assistant, you will see that this does vary, as there have been a few people on this forum who has managed to secure a job working in this field. i am living in semi-rural NSW.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Re: Help with possible new career (school based)

Hi SB,

thanks for the reply. We are heading to south of Perth.

Sorry to hear that despite your qualifications it was difficult to secure a job - did you eventually get a job in that field or did you move on to something else?

Thanks again for your reply.

Yvonnex