British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   HELP PLEASE Toby our Springer Spaniel has been lost. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-please-toby-our-springer-spaniel-has-been-lost-488730/)

Paraken Oct 22nd 2007 9:07 pm

Re: HELP PLEASE Toby our Springer Spaniel has been lost.

Thankyou all for your kind words and thoughts, it's nice to know we all feel the same way.
We are trying to keep Toby in the media so he's not forgotten. We've had one sighting of Toby by a fisherman in Kedron creek which runs between the airport and Nudgee. I've been out there for the last two days from 5am without any sightings. When i stand there calling for him and look around me the sheer size and density of the place takes my breath away. We are all trying to stay positive but without any confirmed sighting i'm beginning to think the worst.
We've taken Floyd out with us over the last three days and he's been barking and running all over the place. Trouble is he's doing what most dogs do when the get thirsty, he's drinking the salt water from the creeks. This just goes straight through him and he's been sick a few times. I'm sure Toby will have done the same, just praying he's not lying down dehydrated and unable to move.
I'm sorry you guys for being a bit negative but this country is so big and underpopulated (in places) that i'm lost for what to do next.
We've got some guys laying traps in the area, they normally hunt the feral pigs and know this area like the back of their hands. They've said there is rain water in places to drink but its few and far between.
Sorry i'm beginning to well up again, thanks for all your help. X

SunnyMD Oct 22nd 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Paraken (Post 5451990)
PLease help us find Toby our springer, he's 4yrs old, liver and white and is very friendly.:(
He went missing from Brisbane Airport on Wednesday 17th October. He was being delivered in his crate when it fell off the trailer, yes fell off the trailer! and on hitting the ground it split. Toby obviously very frightened has run as fast as he could and was last seen going under the perimeter fence into the mangrove area between the airport and Nudgee beach. This area is approx 22km's in size and we've been looking every day since.
We've contacted all the local vets, RSPCA, police, dog pound, radio and TV stations. We've put posters up everywhere and there's a $1000 reward.
I can't believe this has happened, Floyd our other springer was in a separate crate and thankfully he's OK. Australian air Express who are responsible for the safe transfer of our pets from the plane to us have said " Very sorry, these things happen from time to time and that it is not standard practice to strap down animal crates". :mad: Obviously the driver at the airport was in a hurry and now we're one dog less. Here's a pic of Toby, please help us find him as we're totally devastated.

OMG, I can't imagine what you are going through right now ... it's bad enough when a beloved pet disappears on familar ground, without the added complication of everything we have to put our pets through to get them to Oz - the poor baby must be so bewildered.

This really must be an owners' worst nightmare

Thinking of you and looking forward to seeing your "we've found him" post

koalakim Oct 22nd 2007 10:34 pm

Hi Paraken

Just read your thread about Toby, can't believe that the airport authority didn't get on to this straight away. I remember a runway dog on the Heathrow programme and they pulled out all the stops to catch him.

As the others have said there is a safety and quarantine issues as well.

I do hope you find him soon, poor thing must be so frightened out there in a strange land and you must be so worried.

Good luck and best wishes
Kim

Paraken Oct 22nd 2007 10:45 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP Our dog TOBY has been lost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,
We've had a sighting of a Springer in the Bracken Ridge area near St Josephs Primary School. The lady stated she saw the dog and it looks just like our Toby. This was at about 1030 last night, she tried to get near him but he ran off.
We're making our way up to that area in the next hour so we'll keep you updated. If there's anyone who lives in or around that area could they keep a look out and give us a call.
Mobile 0420417360 or 0420545635 Ken & Diane.
PS we'll be putting up posters round the area with some contact numbers on.

SunshineGirl Oct 22nd 2007 10:50 pm

I was horrified to hear your news and especially by the attitude of the carriers.

I have everything crossed that you'll find Toby soon.

comet555 Oct 22nd 2007 10:52 pm

I really hope you find him. It's terrible to lose a pet, even more so under these circumstances.

If I were you I would not be paying the shipping company for delivering Toby, since they clearly did not. If/when you do find him it will be as a result of your work NOT THEIRS. I wonder if they would still insist on quarantine then? I'd tell them to shove it....not much point now after he's been running around in the wild.

I just can't believe the attitude of the company. Whoever said that to you clearly has never had a family pet. Losing a pet is nothing like losing a piece of luggage.

I hope you find him soon.

PoppetUK Oct 22nd 2007 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Paraken (Post 5451990)
PLease help us find Toby our springer, he's 4yrs old, liver and white and is very friendly.:(
He went missing from Brisbane Airport on Wednesday 17th October. He was being delivered in his crate when it fell off the trailer, yes fell off the trailer! and on hitting the ground it split. Toby obviously very frightened has run as fast as he could and was last seen going under the perimeter fence into the mangrove area between the airport and Nudgee beach. This area is approx 22km's in size and we've been looking every day since.
We've contacted all the local vets, RSPCA, police, dog pound, radio and TV stations. We've put posters up everywhere and there's a $1000 reward.
I can't believe this has happened, Floyd our other springer was in a separate crate and thankfully he's OK. Australian air Express who are responsible for the safe transfer of our pets from the plane to us have said " Very sorry, these things happen from time to time and that it is not standard practice to strap down animal crates". :mad: Obviously the driver at the airport was in a hurry and now we're one dog less. Here's a pic of Toby, please help us find him as we're totally devastated.

OMG I feel for you. I will keep praying that he's found. Thoughts are with you at this very distressing time.

Poppet

bridie Oct 23rd 2007 12:45 am

Originally Posted by gilly43 (Post 5452874)
Hope you find your Toby soon... Try the local radios and get the local papers to run a feature.. Poor little man... I am sure he will be found springers are such friendly little dogs once he catches his breath I am sure he will find someone.... Keeping my fingers and everything crossed for you and him... Hate to think how I would feel if this happened to be... Cant believe they have been so careless too you should name and shame the company who were bringing him over bastards!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG every pet owner's worst nightmare... :( Never mind that, get on the phone to Today Tonight and A Current Affair, get some national coverage.

Really hope he is found safe and well soon, sending positive vibes your way

biggy Oct 23rd 2007 12:45 am

Originally Posted by PoppetUK (Post 5455481)
OMG I feel for you. I will keep praying that he's found. Thoughts are with you at this very distressing time.

Poppet

fingers crossed its him please let us know as soon as you hear anything...will make sure this post stays bumped up the page today xxxxxxxxxx

nickyjohnt Oct 23rd 2007 12:55 am

What an awful thing to happen, keeping my fingers crossed this has a happy ending :(

Nicky

Ransi Oct 23rd 2007 1:03 am

I hope you find him soon and that he's well. :) xx

sel Oct 23rd 2007 1:10 am

Awful situation !! but sounds like your hot on his trail ... so hopefully won't be long until he is back home with you.

xxx

gillysm Oct 23rd 2007 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Paraken (Post 5455336)
Re: PLEASE HELP Our dog TOBY has been lost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,
We've had a sighting of a Springer in the Bracken Ridge area near St Josephs Primary School. The lady stated she saw the dog and it looks just like our Toby. This was at about 1030 last night, she tried to get near him but he ran off.
We're making our way up to that area in the next hour so we'll keep you updated. If there's anyone who lives in or around that area could they keep a look out and give us a call.
Mobile 0420417360 or 0420545635 Ken & Diane.
PS we'll be putting up posters round the area with some contact numbers on.

Any luck? Have sent you a pm

no longer in scotland Oct 23rd 2007 1:44 am

Originally Posted by gillysm (Post 5455615)
Any luck? Have sent you a pm

hi, so sorry to hear the news, I hope you get him soon xx

biggy Oct 23rd 2007 4:04 am

Originally Posted by stillinscotland (Post 5455646)
hi, so sorry to hear the news, I hope you get him soon xx

bump