Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE -Rewiring australian plug to UK plug

HELP PLEASE -Rewiring australian plug to UK plug

Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Default HELP PLEASE -Rewiring australian plug to UK plug

We are moving back to Australia in the next month and have an australian fridge freezer. We were going to ship it back but then realised that any tenants that rent our house will expect to have a fridge freezer in the house. If we were to leave our australian fridge freezer it would have to have a UK plug attached (we are using a socket converter) to pass the electrical test. I have failed to find out on the internet whether this is possible and if so how difficult it would be.
Please could someone who has changed an australian plug to UK plug let me know how difficult it is and if possible direct me to a useful site that will explain the process.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP PLEASE -Rewiring australian plug to UK plug

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We are moving back to Australia in the next month and have an australian fridge freezer. We were going to ship it back but then realised that any tenants that rent our house will expect to have a fridge freezer in the house. If we were to leave our australian fridge freezer it would have to have a UK plug attached (we are using a socket converter) to pass the electrical test. I have failed to find out on the internet whether this is possible and if so how difficult it would be.
Please could someone who has changed an australian plug to UK plug let me know how difficult it is and if possible direct me to a useful site that will explain the process.
I can tell you that it's really easy to change. My lodger changed my Ozzie sewing machine plug to UK. She said that they learned how to do it at school when she was 14.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do it....
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:57 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN_-_eRDvf0
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:05 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I can tell you that it's really easy to change. My lodger changed my Ozzie sewing machine plug to UK. She said that they learned how to do it at school when she was 14.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do it....
I was taught in school too. Back then appliances did not come with a plug fitted.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I was taught in school too. Back then appliances did not come with a plug fitted.
It was one of those things that I remember learning which I thought would be really difficult and was actually dead easy!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:52 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It was one of those things that I remember learning which I thought would be really difficult and was actually dead easy!
And useful when I got to Aus.

Although I wasn't allowed to change any plugs until I applied for my licence to fart.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And useful when I got to Aus.

Although I wasn't allowed to change any plugs until I applied for my licence to fart.
Being in Qld its a real I remember when I first got here I mentioned changing a plug and The Bloke actually went white! He was convinced if I unscrewed a plug I'd electrocute myself, found it really odd that kids back home were taught to do it.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Absolutely right - I went a bought a batch of plugs for my appliances and tools when I moved over.

When I paid for them the kid in Dick Smiths handed me a card - 'What's this?' I asked. 'It's an electrician who can fit them for you' he told me.

Poor little sod nearly had a fit when I told him I was doing it myself.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phlanger
Absolutely right - I went a bought a batch of plugs for my appliances and tools when I moved over.

When I paid for them the kid in Dick Smiths handed me a card - 'What's this?' I asked. 'It's an electrician who can fit them for you' he told me.

Poor little sod nearly had a fit when I told him I was doing it myself.
Every Australian plug I've bought came with instructions.

If qualified electricians need instructions to wire a plug, I'd be very worried.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The UK plug is a better design than the Australian one, although the fuse is redundant and stupid. They are easier to wire than the Australian version

The rewireable Australian plug has major (and somewhat worrying) design flaws
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The UK plug is a better design than the Australian one, although the fuse is redundant and stupid. They are easier to wire than the Australian version

The rewireable Australian plug has major (and somewhat worrying) design flaws
You been buying the crap ones where if you pull the wire it comes out of the plug lol.
Have changed a few of my UK ones to the hard to find flat backed Aussie ones, though not allowed to tell anyone I have as I'm not qualified
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:04 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Every Australian plug I've bought came with instructions.

If qualified electricians need instructions to wire a plug, I'd be very worried.
I think the card was for an electrician rather than instructions for the electrician.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:05 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
You been buying the crap ones where if you pull the wire it comes out of the plug lol.
Have changed a few of my UK ones to the hard to find flat backed Aussie ones, though not allowed to tell anyone I have as I'm not qualified
Not sure what state you are in but in most of the states everyone is qualified to change a plug.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what state you are in but in most of the states everyone is qualified to change a plug.
Please let's not go down this, well trodden, road again.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:10 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Please let's not go down this, well trodden, road again.
Okay. I'll leave it raked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.