Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please! Need lots of info on moving to Perth!

Help please! Need lots of info on moving to Perth!

Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:07 pm
-x-
Just Joined

-x- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help please! Need lots of info on moving to Perth!

Ah see that's another thing i've learnt... didn't realise schooling had to be paid for on a 457 visa... Will look into this too ) Gosh my lists are getting bigger and bigger... There are some really helpful threads on this site.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -x-
Yeah i've noticed there are a fair few debates on here! I'm not after a debate, everyone has their own opinions and that's absolutely fine... I'm just looking for extra information from people who have been through what we may possibly go through )

The 457 visa rings a bell but it's the hubby who's been in discussion with the travel company - the 4 year stay wasn't mentioned though. Yep we've been informed about applying for residancy through sponsorship but that's all a matter of if and when - we may be out there for 12 months and decide we miss home! It's a matter of trial and error i guess... BIG trial!

Hopefully, and i know this is wishful thinking, but we'd like to move over as soon after the visa has come back and within the kids school hols - i'm guessing Perth school hols are different to England so this is another thing i'll be looking at when over in December - it'll be so strange having Christmas in the sun!!

Child benefits isn't a problem as we're not on any kind anyway - we're both in full time work over here and wouldn't expect any sort of help... Like to stand on our own 2 feet and have been saving for a while now with this move in thought. Also have a house and 2 cars to sell - plus half of its contents so will hopefully have lots of cash to get us settled and keep us going!
It is a big trial and for some it doesnt work out for a range of reasons.

If he is comming for work they will probably want him here asap. Probably within a month of the visa being granted. Thats the down side most of us faced when comming for work as you dont have the months to get everything in place. For us it meant selling the house to one of those companies that guaruntee to buy, but its for a fair bit less than the value. Though for us it worked because we sold just as the GFC was about to hit.

If he is being interviewd in December you could find yourself looking to be on a plane end of January.

The school holidays here are pretty similar to the UK but 6 months out. So the long summer holiday is in summer over christmas, they have a short holiday in winter that is the equivalant to the christmas holiday in the UK. In some ways it would be good for you to be moving late Jan as it will fit in with the start of the new school year.

You are entiteled to free healthcare.

If you have anything you want help with feel free to ask. I have done two 457 visas with different companies and now perm res by company sponsorship.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:39 pm
-x-
Just Joined

-x- is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah exactly, all i can do is prepare and get organised so that if needs be, we can get over there asap.

We have a house to sell but i'm renting it out at the moment and the plan is that the tenants who are in it now, will be buying it - but we all know most things don't go to plan!

Summer holidays over there is a bonus, this is definately when i'd like to move over if needs be as wouldn't want the little man missing out on any school - and hopefully they'll be lots of opportunities for us all to make new friends over the summer )

So would you say you're happy with your move and your decision? Would you say you have a more relaxed style of life? Less stress?! I've been told that kids in Australia, Perth in particular as it's quieter than most - are kids for longer? Over here there are teen pregnancies, vandalising youths, kids going to prison at such a young age, drinking on the streets... i'd hate for that to come about for my son. Obviously we'll be bringing him up to the best of our abilities but think we all know that kids will be kids and if they get caught up in the wrong crowd... they're done for! Just heard that kids over there are kids for longer.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -x-
Yeah exactly, all i can do is prepare and get organised so that if needs be, we can get over there asap.

We have a house to sell but i'm renting it out at the moment and the plan is that the tenants who are in it now, will be buying it - but we all know most things don't go to plan!

Summer holidays over there is a bonus, this is definately when i'd like to move over if needs be as wouldn't want the little man missing out on any school - and hopefully they'll be lots of opportunities for us all to make new friends over the summer )

So would you say you're happy with your move and your decision? Would you say you have a more relaxed style of life? Less stress?! I've been told that kids in Australia, Perth in particular as it's quieter than most - are kids for longer? Over here there are teen pregnancies, vandalising youths, kids going to prison at such a young age, drinking on the streets... i'd hate for that to come about for my son. Obviously we'll be bringing him up to the best of our abilities but think we all know that kids will be kids and if they get caught up in the wrong crowd... they're done for! Just heard that kids over there are kids for longer.
I think we are happy. Though we have been thinking about going back next year for a year or two as although i live in Perth, i work in the DRC (Congo) and flights from the UK are a lot easier than from Perth. That and it is seriously tax beneficial. That and it would be nice to catch up with family for a bit and get to know nieces and nephews. But the more i think about the move the less keen i am.

I dont know about kids being kids longer. Oz has all the problems that any major city has with crime, drugs - WA has a very serious drug problem and things. Drinking on the streets isnt as big, probably because it is so expensive here. We certainly have vandalising as you will see when you get on a bus or tain, though it probably isnt anywhere as bad as UK cities.

It also probably depends a lot on where you live. I am next to a beach and a lot of the kids are very into surfing and things so that keeps them out of trouble
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by verystormy
Yep. They do have to pay for schooling.

They dont get any child benefits.

They do get any tax breaks that anybody else gets
457 Visa holders don't have to pay for schooling in WA (unless of course it's private schooling in which case everybody has to pay, regardless of visa).

Unless the rules have changes in the past two months?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought school was free in WA for temp visa holders. If that has changed can someone find a reference?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:35 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Yep. They do have to pay for schooling.

They dont get any child benefits.

They do get any tax breaks that anybody else gets
Hi just a note to correct, in WA the public schooling is free for 457 visa's.

Cheers
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by -x-
Hello!

I have never in my life wrote or read a thread by the general public so i'm completely new to this! I barely have the time to go to the loo some days so this shows how much i need your help! I do hope i've registered on the right site!

Myself (29), my husband (30) and son (8) are heading over to Hocking, Perth for 3 weeks over Christmas. We are staying with friends and are over there with a view to moving over asap next year - how easy or difficult this is, i'm not sure?! During our 3 weeks stay we will be looking at property, jobs, schools, area's, parks etc. We have looked into Perth and are hoping to fall head over heals in love with the place! As a family, we're ready for a new start and we have high hopes that Perth will be the place for us - Our friends assure us it can do no wrong!

What i would like help with, if anyone has the time, is what things would we need to prepare for? How would we go about looking for jobs, enrolling in schools, picking the best area's? How would we prepare for a quick and smooth move over there next year? So much to think about and organise my head is spinning!!

Any advise, big or little would be very much appreciated!

Thank you )

-x-
http://www.perthpoms.com/
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -x-

With regards to visa (Also to Pollyana), we have had discussions with a travel company in Sheffield who deal with visa's on a day to day basis - Initially we will be over in Perth on just a 12 month visa and we have been informed by numerous people and agencies that this comes through within 4 weeks. We haven't got ours yet as it only lasts for 12 months so want to leave it as late as possible... Need to get a feel for the place first!
I know you think you have this covered, but it might be worth looking into it just a little bit more. Travel company... 12 month visa... sounds a bit odd to me. The 457 visa an be for any period of time, but a company that goes for a 12 month visa must have a very specific short term need in mind and you might find that just as you are getting settled you are on the plane home again.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by -x-

I think you are in for a shock if you think problems like teen pregnancies,vandalism by youths, teenage prisoners, drinking on the streets etc don't exist here.

It's no different from the UK. Not sure quite what you mean by "kids over there are kids for longer''. I have an 8-year-old son and I'm pretty sure my concerns/expectations would be no different whether here or the UK.

Also a good way of knowing what issues people living in Perth are most concerned about is to read the letters pages of local newspapers eg The West Australian. And listen to talk back radio.

As for relaxed lifestyle that's only possible if you have a decent income as Perth - and Australia in general - is not a cheap place to live.
Two cars is a must for most families.

We've moved over from New South Wales after living there for 8 years and are shocked at how expensive properties are in and around Perth. You don't get much for $500,000.

Eating out in Perth is ridiculously expensive and some of the restaurants/shops should be ashamed of the crap,overpriced food they serve.

You'll find a list of top public and primary schools in WA on the bettereducation.com.au website.

A lot of the best performing schools are in very expensive areas of Perth eg Peppermint Grove, Shenton Park, Cottesloe,Floreat, Dalkeith,City Beach,Nedlands,Mount Lawley, Hillarys, Wembley Downs,Leederville, and Fremantle.

Not trying to put you off. It is possible to have a very good life here but do have realistic expectations and heed the comments by posters on BE - good and bad, especially those who have lived in Perth a long time eg HelenTD whom I met recently. Lovely lady.

Course if you are loaded then you will have a fantastic life here !!!!