Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help please! Need lots of info on moving to Perth!

Help please! Need lots of info on moving to Perth!

Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:13 am
-x-
Just Joined

-x- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please! Need lots of info on moving to Perth!

Hello!

I have never in my life wrote or read a thread by the general public so i'm completely new to this! I barely have the time to go to the loo some days so this shows how much i need your help! I do hope i've registered on the right site!

Myself (29), my husband (30) and son (8) are heading over to Hocking, Perth for 3 weeks over Christmas. We are staying with friends and are over there with a view to moving over asap next year - how easy or difficult this is, i'm not sure?! During our 3 weeks stay we will be looking at property, jobs, schools, area's, parks etc. We have looked into Perth and are hoping to fall head over heals in love with the place! As a family, we're ready for a new start and we have high hopes that Perth will be the place for us - Our friends assure us it can do no wrong!

What i would like help with, if anyone has the time, is what things would we need to prepare for? How would we go about looking for jobs, enrolling in schools, picking the best area's? How would we prepare for a quick and smooth move over there next year? So much to think about and organise my head is spinning!!

Any advise, big or little would be very much appreciated!

Thank you )

-x-
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please! Need lots of info on moving to Perth!

Originally Posted by -x-
Hello!

I have never in my life wrote or read a thread by the general public so i'm completely new to this! I barely have the time to go to the loo some days so this shows how much i need your help! I do hope i've registered on the right site!

Myself (29), my husband (30) and son (8) are heading over to Hocking, Perth for 3 weeks over Christmas. We are staying with friends and are over there with a view to moving over asap next year - how easy or difficult this is, i'm not sure?! During our 3 weeks stay we will be looking at property, jobs, schools, area's, parks etc. We have looked into Perth and are hoping to fall head over heals in love with the place! As a family, we're ready for a new start and we have high hopes that Perth will be the place for us - Our friends assure us it can do no wrong!

What i would like help with, if anyone has the time, is what things would we need to prepare for? How would we go about looking for jobs, enrolling in schools, picking the best area's? How would we prepare for a quick and smooth move over there next year? So much to think about and organise my head is spinning!!

Any advise, big or little would be very much appreciated!

Thank you )

-x-
Do you qualify for a visa?

If not then looking for houses, work, schools etc. is a waste of time
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:40 am
-x-
Just Joined

Yes, of course - we wouldn't be looking at moving over if not! We both do! )
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -x-
You'd be surprised how many people start off looking for schools etc and then find they don't qualify for one!!

Welcome to BE, by the way
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:59 am
-x-
Just Joined

That's just silly - and a waste of time!

Thank you... already finding lots of useful information on already going posts so getting my lists going... and giving the hubby his to do list!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I will just add. Dont forget the visa process can take a VERY long time. There are plenty on here been waiting years.

Second check out what sort of money you will earn in Oz compared to now. There is no point in comming if you are going to be worse off.

Latly, when you visit, try not to see it too much through rose tints and remember that a holiday is very different to living somewhere. On holiday you dont have the bills to pay, house to clean and all the rest of the stuff that makes up day to day living
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -x-
Ok, you may qualify, but do you have a visa?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:44 pm
-x-
Just Joined

Very Stormy - Thank you, i understand your comments and agree that a holiday is NOTHING like day to day life. We will of course be very much looked after by our friends but will take on board what you have said about the rose tinted glasses... it'll be all too easy to see tinted with all that sun!

Job wise, my husband's industry have a company over in Perth and he's got an interview with them whilst we're there - the money aspect has all been sorted already - it's just whether or not we like the place.

With regards to visa (Also to Pollyana), we have had discussions with a travel company in Sheffield who deal with visa's on a day to day basis - Initially we will be over in Perth on just a 12 month visa and we have been informed by numerous people and agencies that this comes through within 4 weeks. We haven't got ours yet as it only lasts for 12 months so want to leave it as late as possible... Need to get a feel for the place first!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -x-
Very Stormy - Thank you, i understand your comments and agree that a holiday is NOTHING like day to day life. We will of course be very much looked after by our friends but will take on board what you have said about the rose tinted glasses... it'll be all too easy to see tinted with all that sun!

Job wise, my husband's industry have a company over in Perth and he's got an interview with them whilst we're there - the money aspect has all been sorted already - it's just whether or not we like the place.

With regards to visa (Also to Pollyana), we have had discussions with a travel company in Sheffield who deal with visa's on a day to day basis - Initially we will be over in Perth on just a 12 month visa and we have been informed by numerous people and agencies that this comes through within 4 weeks. We haven't got ours yet as it only lasts for 12 months so want to leave it as late as possible... Need to get a feel for the place first!
What 12 month visa? I can't think of one that would allow you to work for the year, there's only the WHV which you won't be entitled to as you have children.

Welcome anyway
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably come over then on a 457 visa. This actually allows you to stay for 4 years. In the mean time you can apply for perm residence. The easiest way is often company sponsored perm residence as it is normally quick - takes a few months. The 457 normally takes about 4 weeks.

Assuming he gets the job, the company will instigate the visa process. You will have some forms to complete and medicals to attend and police checks. It actually fairly painless and done on line

To get a handle on living costs, there are bag loads of debates on here about this and i dont want to start another, but a good way of working it out is on a x3 rule. Dont use the exchange rate. Basically, what ever you earn now you need 3x in the dollar amount for the same lifestyle. So if your husband earns 40k pounds now, then he needs a salary of $120k here.

As for where to live and schools it will very much depend on income.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't think of the 457, had my head locked on the 12 month bit. I personally wouldn't use a travel agency to sort out any visa other than an ETA and even that I'd do myself. If it is the 457 the company deals with it all anyway.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jobs by the way, start having a look on seek and for housing realestate.com

Do remember though that there are large parts of the Oz economy struggling and that most employers wont consider you until you are in Oz so dont get discouraged if you think about applying now but dont hear anything.

Make sure you bring your mortgage statements and things as you will need to get a rental house and they will want to see some sort of proof of you paying on time and things.

Bring as much cash as possible - you will need it
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Do 457 holders in WA have to pay for schooling? Can't remember.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep. They do have to pay for schooling.

They dont get any child benefits.

They do get any tax breaks that anybody else gets
Old Oct 26th 2011, 2:05 pm
-x-
Just Joined

Yeah i've noticed there are a fair few debates on here! I'm not after a debate, everyone has their own opinions and that's absolutely fine... I'm just looking for extra information from people who have been through what we may possibly go through )

The 457 visa rings a bell but it's the hubby who's been in discussion with the travel company - the 4 year stay wasn't mentioned though. Yep we've been informed about applying for residancy through sponsorship but that's all a matter of if and when - we may be out there for 12 months and decide we miss home! It's a matter of trial and error i guess... BIG trial!

Hopefully, and i know this is wishful thinking, but we'd like to move over as soon after the visa has come back and within the kids school hols - i'm guessing Perth school hols are different to England so this is another thing i'll be looking at when over in December - it'll be so strange having Christmas in the sun!!

Child benefits isn't a problem as we're not on any kind anyway - we're both in full time work over here and wouldn't expect any sort of help... Like to stand on our own 2 feet and have been saving for a while now with this move in thought. Also have a house and 2 cars to sell - plus half of its contents so will hopefully have lots of cash to get us settled and keep us going!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.