British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help needed will work 4 free to be able to get 1 step closer to gaining my licencing. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-needed-will-work-4-free-able-get-1-step-closer-gaining-my-licencing-644793/)

rocket01 Dec 14th 2009 7:11 pm

Help needed will work 4 free to be able to get 1 step closer to gaining my licencing.

For me now to gain my RPL in sprinklers I'm require to meet a very basic skill in welding steel using arc welding equipment and cut and weld mild steel pipe using oxy-acetylene equipment.

For those who haven't come across my plight I've been in OZ over a year now and been going round and round in circles trying to get my licencing all the time not being allowed to work.

So if I can prove that I'm able to preform these tasks to a very basic standard I might be just getting somewhere.

So if any1 can help me to learn the basics I'm will to travel anywhere (even back in the UK) and work for free to gain these skills. I'm just waiting to here from J.I.S.T to what is required.

Cheers

Ron

wannabe in oz Dec 14th 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Help needed will work 4 free to be able to get 1 step closer to gaining my licenc

Originally Posted by rocket01 (Post 8172199)
For me now to gain my RPL in sprinklers I'm require to meet a very basic skill in welding steel using arc welding equipment and cut and weld mild steel pipe using oxy-acetylene equipment.

For those who haven't come across my plight I've been in OZ over a year now and been going round and round in circles trying to get my licencing all the time not being allowed to work.

So if I can prove that I'm able to preform these tasks to a very basic standard I might be just getting somewhere.

So if any1 can help me to learn the basics I'm will to travel anywhere (even back in the UK) and work for free to gain these skills. I'm just waiting to here from J.I.S.T to what is required.

Cheers

Ron

can't help you mate, just wanted to say good luck:fingerscrossed:

Vash the Stampede Dec 14th 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Help needed will work 4 free to be able to get 1 step closer to gaining my licenc

If you intend to work for free, I suggest you get it agreed in writing. Employers can get into a lot of strife for taking on people without paying them, even if only for a short period.

Good luck; I hope it works out for you.

:thumbup:

Catch Dec 15th 2009 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8172657)
If you intend to work for free, I suggest you get it agreed in writing. Employers can get into a lot of strife for taking on people without paying them, even if only for a short period.

Good luck; I hope it works out for you.

:thumbup:

stuff the employers vash this lad is going out on a limb.

Rossi Dec 15th 2009 6:10 am

Ron

Mate,
contact the local TAFE plumbing department - I suggest face to face as it is harder to say no ;)
It's part of the plumbing exam..... I had to do it at Heidleberg TAFE in Melbourne so I am sure your local one would offer it

Good Luck with it..... I got so peed off jumping thru hoops ( despite having qualified in 1980 with a 5 yr apprenticeship ) that I moved into design & project management of Gas systems instead

rocket01 Dec 15th 2009 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 8173815)
Mate,
contact the local TAFE plumbing department - I suggest face to face as it is harder to say no ;)
It's part of the plumbing exam..... I had to do it at Heidleberg TAFE in Melbourne so I am sure your local one would offer it

Good Luck with it..... I got so peed off jumping thru hoops ( despite having qualified in 1980 with a 5 yr apprenticeship ) that I moved into design & project management of Gas systems instead

Good idea thanks mate.

Pomster Dec 15th 2009 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 8173815)
Mate,

I was going to suggest the same.
Mr P did a fair amount of welding as part of his plumbing apprenticeship. Most of lecturers are people who work/did work in the trade and so are keen to help people striving to earn a living.

Local TAFEs are there to help generally!

rocket01 Dec 17th 2009 10:56 pm

Contacted tafe everyone on holiday until 18th Jan, how dare they.

WillBlack Dec 17th 2009 11:23 pm

Cheers

Ron

Go to a wrecker's yard and see if they'll let you cut up stuff.

Alternatively, buy an arc welder and start sticking stuff together.

It's not that hard to acquire basic skills.

It takes years of practice and native cunning to be able to weld well.

rocket01 Dec 19th 2009 12:51 am

This is what is required

http://www.ntis.gov.au/Default.aspx?...it/CPCPCM2012A

http://www.ntis.gov.au/Default.aspx?...it/CPCPCM2009A

viviennef Dec 19th 2009 7:37 am

where is palm cove? Where are you? If you are near Brisbane perhaps I can help

moneypenny20 Dec 19th 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by viviennef (Post 8184937)

Nowhere near. Up top end unfortunately (for you helping him, not for him - iyswim)

rocket01 Dec 19th 2009 9:58 pm

Cheers Vivienne I'm willing to travel or swim whatever is needed I'm up here in the far north.

Sally Simpson Dec 20th 2009 5:20 am

Just north of Cairns!