Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help needed - transferring smaller amounts

help needed - transferring smaller amounts

Old Oct 28th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default help needed - transferring smaller amounts

Hello

Whats the best route to take when your not going with loads of dosh? £10K approx.

Still HIFX? also im a bit dormant about all this, what do you do, what happens to your money? where does it go until you open an account in Aus?

Thanks

Laura
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:05 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed - transferring smaller amounts

They are normally very good at HIFX. But I did find their registration a pain and having to make phone calls to trade was a nuisance, prefer to do it all online.

I also use www.tranzfers.com they are 7 pounds per transaction, its all online, easy to register with , very safe and secure, reasonable exch rate even for small volumes, and you can track it all online. You can register-annd look at the trades etc without committing yourself.

you can setup multiple trades and leave them in the system then when you want the money or are happy with the exchange rate you can hit 'buy' and you get that fixed amount of UKP converted into AUD at the rate they offer there and then - about 24hrs later its in your account in Aus. (Or in UK if you'resending money back ).

They're really good - always reliable and very safe/secure. I use them loads.
If you do decide to register be kind enough to use my referral - i get brownie points

Referral website:
http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins

If you dont want to give me brownie points here is the non-referral website
www.tranzfers.com

You have other options Nat West I think has a account which gives reasonable interest and no fees for using the Visa card in Australia, most banks cahrge 2.75% extra for each transaaction. I think it was nat west-might be nationwide.

Bascially the money flows like this : I'll compare it to standing in a travel agents buying holiday money

1) You setup a trade like HIFX or Tranzfers (You walk in the shop and tell them what currency you want to buy, and how much of it - they tell you what rate and how many $$ you'll get and how much they' charge you)

2) They ask you to send them a cheque to 'buy' the currency (Like handing over the cash at the travel agents) On HIFX you get 3 days to complete this. On Tranzfers they wont do the trade until its cleared. With HIFX I thikn you get penalties if you dont clear in 3 days.

3) They ask you where you'd like the money sent (What bank account in Australia - or just Hang on to it until you give them an acct number) - this is like leaving hte money on the counter (er... ok it falls apart here ...haha).

4) You tell them where to send the money in Aus and the money ends up in your account in Australia.

On Tranzfers (and others) you can put the money into trades - so maybe you decide I'll do 5 bundles of 2kpounds each. You setup 5 trades at 2000 pounds each and chose the option to ' I Will Convert' . They say 'please send us 10grand' you send them a cheque. Then you get over here or whatever and you watch the exchange rate and you think , right I want 2grand of htat money now so I'll 'Exchange' 2grand. Tell them where to send it online (bank account nbr) and the trade is done. Or you could just stuff all 10grand in one lump and send it the same way.

Edit: The main other benefit of Tranzfers vs Hifx is that Tranzfers is all online emails based, HIFX requires faxing of things for each trade and that is royal pain in the ass. Oh and you have to re-register with HIFX when you get to Aus, you cannot trade on the same name/id/etc due to some money laundering laws. Tranzfers gets round this somehow (no idea how, but leaving the money in a brown envelope in departures at Heathrow might have something to do with it).

If the rate goes up by 5 cents a $ on 10,000UK Pounds you will make 500$AU, realistically it hasnt moved by 5 cents for ages. By setting up 4 trades at 7 pounds each instead of one trade it will cost you 21quid.

Tranzfers are safe as houses, lots of people have used them , I use them tons.

Good luck - need any more - just ask, it is a weird thing to get your head around.

Last edited by spalen; Oct 28th 2005 at 1:11 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

If you do decide to register be kind enough to use my referral - i get brownie points

Haven't you got your Ipod yet?
Old Oct 28th 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

They are normally very good at HIFX. But I did find their registration a pain and having to make phone calls to trade was a nuisance, prefer to do it all online.

I also use www.tranzfers.com they are 7 pounds per transaction, its all online, easy to register with , very safe and secure, reasonable exch rate even for small volumes, and you can track it all online. You can register-annd look at the trades etc without committing yourself.

you can setup multiple trades and leave them in the system then when you want the money or are happy with the exchange rate you can hit 'buy' and you get that fixed amount of UKP converted into AUD at the rate they offer there and then - about 24hrs later its in your account in Aus. (Or in UK if you'resending money back ).

Referral website:

www.tranzfers.com

You have other options Nat West I think has a account which gives reasonable interest and no fees for using the Visa card in Australia, most banks cahrge 2.75% extra for each transaaction. I think it was nat west-might be nationwide.

Bascially the money flows like this : I'll compare it to standing in a travel agents buying holiday money

1) You setup a trade like HIFX or Tranzfers (You walk in the shop and tell them what currency you want to buy, and how much of it - they tell you what rate and how many $$ you'll get and how much they' charge you)

2) They ask you to send them a cheque to 'buy' the currency (Like handing over the cash at the travel agents) On HIFX you get 3 days to complete this. On Tranzfers they wont do the trade until its cleared. With HIFX I thikn you get penalties if you dont clear in 3 days.

3) They ask you where you'd like the money sent (What bank account in Australia - or just Hang on to it until you give them an acct number) - this is like leaving hte money on the counter (er... ok it falls apart here ...haha).

4) You tell them where to send the money in Aus and the money ends up in your account in Australia.

On Tranzfers (and others) you can put the money into trades - so maybe you decide I'll do 5 bundles of 2kpounds each. You setup 5 trades at 2000 pounds each and chose the option to ' I Will Convert' . They say 'please send us 10grand' you send them a cheque. Then you get over here or whatever and you watch the exchange rate and you think , right I want 2grand of htat money now so I'll 'Exchange' 2grand. Tell them where to send it online (bank account nbr) and the trade is done. Or you could just stuff all 10grand in one lump and send it the same way.

Edit: The main other benefit of Tranzfers vs Hifx is that Tranzfers is all online emails based, HIFX requires faxing of things for each trade and that is royal pain in the ass. Oh and you have to re-register with HIFX when you get to Aus, you cannot trade on the same name/id/etc due to some money laundering laws. Tranzfers gets round this somehow (no idea how, but leaving the money in a brown envelope in departures at Heathrow might have something to do with it).

If the rate goes up by 5 cents a $ on 10,000UK Pounds you will make 500$AU, realistically it hasnt moved by 5 cents for ages. By setting up 4 trades at 7 pounds each instead of one trade it will cost you 21quid.

Good luck - need any more - just ask, it is a weird thing to get your head around.

Thanks so much for all this, it really helps I wasnt quite sure how it all worked and now I do, i tried to karma you but i have to spread the love around first apparently
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:51 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Referral website:

www.tranzfers.com

Hi just to let you know that your 1 point closer to your i-pod fund!!!!! i've used your referral link (I registered a few months ago) and made a transfer of money yesterday! I have to agree Tranzfers have been great so far - very simple - i'm just waiting for the money to reach their account from my bank account - I did the whole thing online through my internet banking.

Lynn
Old Oct 29th 2005, 12:35 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi just to let you know that your 1 point closer to your i-pod fund!!!!! i've used your referral link (I registered a few months ago) and made a transfer of money yesterday! I have to agree Tranzfers have been great so far - very simple - i'm just waiting for the money to reach their account from my bank account - I did the whole thing online through my internet banking.

Lynn
This isnt just about getting a free Ipod , Its a public service, people need to know and Im here to help.....

Oh alright then.... Heeheee I actually got an Ipod already from Mrs Spalen for my birthday and last time I looked I had 8 referrals points from 19 referred people so now I guess Im 9 for 19 and need one more trade to get me a nother Ipod.
Old Oct 29th 2005, 12:37 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

This isnt just about getting a free Ipod , Its a public service, people need to know and Im here to help.....

Oh alright then.... Heeheee I actually got an Ipod already from Mrs Spalen for my birthday and last time I looked I had 8 referrals points from 19 referred people so now I guess Im 9 for 19 and need one more trade to get me a nother Ipod.
LOL yeah whatever!!!!!!

Lynn
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

bloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nice

Hope you like the i-pod, I just registered on your intro and would like to say thanks for the effort made by you, for me and others...

After three mindblowingly frustrating weeks in Aus, where everything has gone pear shaped, it's good to find something that makes a feeling of having acomplished something ( anything ! ) possible again.

All we need now is some money to tranzfer......

Thanks again.

bloofox.