Reload this Page >

Help needed - Skilled Migration

Help needed - Skilled Migration

Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

hopeful123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Help needed - Skilled Migration

Hoping someone can help.

My husband has been working in IT for 4 yrs, and does not have a degree. Hence i am advised is not able to have his skills assessed for his current IT profession. However previous to moving into IT he was a Upholsterer, with 18yrs experience but has not worked in the trade for 4years. Does anyone know if he can use his upholsterery experience as his skill for the skilled migration catergory?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help needed - Skilled Migration

Originally posted by hopeful123
Hoping someone can help.

My husband has been working in IT for 4 yrs, and does not have a degree. Hence i am advised is not able to have his skills assessed for his current IT profession. However previous to moving into IT he was a Upholsterer, with 18yrs experience but has not worked in the trade for 4years. Does anyone know if he can use his upholsterery experience as his skill for the skilled migration catergory?
According to the Skilled Occupation list, an upholsterer is a 60 point skill, but I believe he would need 12 out of the previous 18 months work experience when applying, so it might not count.

My husband is also in IT but no degree, this has not stopped us applying for skills assessment as depending on his line of work, his work experience may count as equivalent to a degree (specifics I am not sure of), don't rule it out.

sandy
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - can i ask how much experience your partner has?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by hopeful123
Thanks - can i ask how much experience your partner has?
Well, admittedly, Darren has been in IT for about 16 years now but varying roles, the job descriptions are quite different in Australia (particularly when trying to decide which skill to be assessed against). Darren has mostly been involved with Business analysis and is rewriting his CV to reflect this skill as his prominent one as titles on the skilled have recently changed for computing so we are using an agent to help us with this section.

60 pointers are:

Information Technology manager
Applications & Analyst programmer
Computer systems auditor
software designer
systems designer
systems manager
systems programmer
computing professionals (not elsewhere classified)

At the very least you should be able to work with the last one!

Have a read through the ACS (Australian Computer Society) website

www.acs.org.au

sandy
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Well, admittedly, Darren has been in IT for about 16 years now but varying roles, the job descriptions are quite different in Australia (particularly when trying to decide which skill to be assessed against). Darren has mostly been involved with Business analysis and is rewriting his CV to reflect this skill as his prominent one as titles on the skilled have recently changed for computing so we are using an agent to help us with this section.

60 pointers are:

Information Technology manager
Applications & Analyst programmer
Computer systems auditor
software designer
systems designer
systems manager
systems programmer
computing professionals (not elsewhere classified)

At the very least you should be able to work with the last one!

Have a read through the ACS (Australian Computer Society) website

www.acs.org.au

sandy
Thnaks - I need to get in touch with a agent, but looking at ACS he needs at leaset 6yrs experience, so unless we can use the upholsterery not much hope... all a bit much he thought moving into It would be the best in the long term , turns out for the purpose of migrating perhaps should of stayed in upholstery.!!!