Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help needed, please!!

Help needed, please!!

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future
Default Help needed, please!!

Hi All

I need your help as my husband and myself have a difference of opinion and we would like your help to resolve this.

We have 2 young children under 5 and we should be moving to Perth in May and the difference in opinion is about the amount of money needed to take. We will be taking approx £25-30,000 pounds (english). My husband has a fairly well paid job in place who are paying for 1 month acc, visa, shipping and flights. All we have to pay would be medicals! I think that this is okay and my husband thinks we need to take more as we have no house back in England to fall back on once we have sold it.

Can I have as many answers as possible if you are taking or have taken the same amount or less and if it is comfortable. I know accomodation is cheaper in Perth aswell, I would like to be able to reolve this debate.

Thank you all for you help!

Antoinette
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:25 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed, please!!

Originally Posted by Ant & Kev
Hi All

I need your help as my husband and myself have a difference of opinion and we would like your help to resolve this.

We have 2 young children under 5 and we should be moving to Perth in May and the difference in opinion is about the amount of money needed to take. We will be taking approx £25-30,000 pounds (english). My husband has a fairly well paid job in place who are paying for 1 month acc, visa, shipping and flights. All we have to pay would be medicals! I think that this is okay and my husband thinks we need to take more as we have no house back in England to fall back on once we have sold it.

Can I have as many answers as possible if you are taking or have taken the same amount or less and if it is comfortable. I know accomodation is cheaper in Perth aswell, I would like to be able to reolve this debate.

Antoinette
Hi,
We will be taking approx the same and will have no house to fall back on, we also have 2 children 7 and 10. we will have a month off when we get there to get kids sorted and settled then Russ will be working......... Put it this way.... when you are working and living here, would you have £20 thousand in the bank ?? Good size of savings eh !!
Jane x
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:33 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

like someone said in another post

when they satrted out in this country they had absolutely nothing
when they go to oz they will have £20000

which would you choose?

i wouldnt worry
your kids are babies they wont know if your not living to your usual standards for a while and it will be a while until you find your feet

at the end of the day money and material things arent everything

enjoy it you only come this way once

jan xx

Last edited by robos; Jan 23rd 2006 at 8:44 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:41 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Antoinette
Depends on what you want when you get here - we brought a decent amount with us, but $54,000 on two cars the first weekend here puts a dent in it. Is there anything you need to replace that you're not bringing - could be another couple of grand... it's quite suprising how quickly you can get through it.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Depends on what you want when you get here - we brought a decent amount with us, but $54,000 on two cars the first weekend here puts a dent in it. Is there anything you need to replace that you're not bringing - could be another couple of grand... it's quite suprising how quickly you can get through it.

Thank you for your replies, come on everyone i still need some more opinions. I know you have all either done or will be soon. I am looking for a good few more replies.

Thanks

Antoinette
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Thank you for your replies, come on everyone i still need some more opinions. I know you have all either done or will be soon. I am looking for a good few more replies.

Thanks

Antoinette
I reckon you'll be OK on £25,000 as set up costs. Depends on what you are intending on doing once here but if you are buying an average car for say $20,000 and renting a nice but average house you'll be fine. It is always good to have a bit to fall back on - we had a similar amount to fall back on here. I have to say that most of it has now gone on topping up salaries in the early days, furniture and holidays - yeah we weren't too sensible looking back. Had a good time though! Now in reasonable jobs and busy saving money back.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robos
like someone said in another post

when they satrted out in this country they had absolutely nothing
when they go to oz they will have £20000

which would you choose?

i wouldnt worry
your kids are babies they wont know if your not living to your usual standards for a while and it will be a while until you find your feet

at the end of the day money and material things arent everything

enjoy it you only come this way once

jan xx

I agree entirely.

As my dear old Mum used to say live for today cos you might not be here tomorrow.

So go for it for gawd sake. Money's not everything. Also consider it this way, how much is it costing you to stay.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:25 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

If your husband has a good job can't see that being a problem as will be earning straight away and getting other things we paid for sorted by company... go for it.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

What are your choices? To come, not to come or to knock off a rich relative?

Some money's definitely better than none and it's a lovely place to make a start.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:40 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We're in pretty much the same situation as you. My husband has a job offer (money isnt great though), the company pay for flights, accom for a month and visa etc. We plan to rent when we get out there and will rent out our UK home (we'll only break even on that so wont make any money out of it) and will rent in Oz. We'll be taking about £10k with us. Its not a lot I know but my husband will cycle to work every day so we'll hopefully only need the one car and as the company also pay for shipping our goods we're taking most of our stuff with us!

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tygwyn
We're in pretty much the same situation as you. My husband has a job offer (money isnt great though), the company pay for flights, accom for a month and visa etc. We plan to rent when we get out there and will rent out our UK home (we'll only break even on that so wont make any money out of it) and will rent in Oz. We'll be taking about £10k with us. Its not a lot I know but my husband will cycle to work every day so we'll hopefully only need the one car and as the company also pay for shipping our goods we're taking most of our stuff with us!

HTH

Rach xxxx
Where about in Oz are you going? Do you mind if I ask if you have children? When are you planning to go? Thats an idea about the Cycling, i will have to mention that to my husband. I am hoping that I will find work quickly aswell, I am trying to get as many replies as possible to show my husband that it is possible and not too much of a struggle.

Antoinette
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:04 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Where about in Oz are you going? Do you mind if I ask if you have children? When are you planning to go? Thats an idea about the Cycling, i will have to mention that to my husband. I am hoping that I will find work quickly aswell, I am trying to get as many replies as possible to show my husband that it is possible and not too much of a struggle.

Antoinette
We're going to Richmond, Sydney on 30th March. We have one daughter. I think the only reason you would need to take more funds with you would be if you were planning on purchasing a property and wanting to put a large deposit down - we don't have any intention of doing that. I'm actaully looking forward to being in rented so that we dont have to constantly look at updating things and maintaining it!!

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:50 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

we have 3 teenage kids no job offers no idea were we will be living and about 25k to take with us(would have more if we could leave a few debts behind) but hey WTF life is for living!!!!!!

go for it and enjoy

jan xx
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:39 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Antoinette
I'm a little confused - are you coming permanently? 'cos your post seems to infer that you would be leaving some money back in the UK and you are wondering whether to bring more of it out.

If you are staying here, bring it all - it's a hassle keeping things back "home"!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:50 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly thats a huge sum of money when you consider that your husband is starting a job straight away and you dont have to pay for temp accomodation whilst you find a place to buy/rent, flights or shipping.

Surely if you sell your house and are left with £20,000 or so afterward, doesnt that mean that you didnt exactly have much equity to fall back on anyway ?

Tell your husband to stop panicking - it will never be enough money and the thoughts of emigrating will often bring up nerves and thoughts like this. It wont be the last

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.