Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help needed for a motor mechanic going to oz

Help needed for a motor mechanic going to oz

Old Nov 14th 2004, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Help needed for a motor mechanic going to oz

Hubby is a fully skilled motor mechanic we are looking for some advice about him working once he gets there. Does he need to get his qualifications assessed to work, also he has not worked in this occupation for 4 years. Any advce anyone has very welcome, Chris
Old Nov 14th 2004, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed for a motor mechanic going to oz

Hi ya,

My Hubby is a Mechanic, although not classed as qualified in the UK. He only has his Level 2 City & Guilds + about 8 years on the job experience. He hasnt worked in a Garage for over 2 years. He was working as a Van driver for the last 2 years.

When we arrived in Oz, he had a job working for a Toyota Dealership within 5 days. He hasnt had his skills recognised here at all. But it did help that the Head Mechanic in the workshop was English so could vouch for his qualifications as far as the requirements here in Oz.

Hope this helps even a little bit.

Cheers,

Hels
Old Nov 14th 2004, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Smile Re: Help needed for a motor mechanic going to oz

Originally Posted by Hels
Hi ya,

My Hubby is a Mechanic, although not classed as qualified in the UK. He only has his Level 2 City & Guilds + about 8 years on the job experience. He hasnt worked in a Garage for over 2 years. He was working as a Van driver for the last 2 years.

When we arrived in Oz, he had a job working for a Toyota Dealership within 5 days. He hasnt had his skills recognised here at all. But it did help that the Head Mechanic in the workshop was English so could vouch for his qualifications as far as the requirements here in Oz.

Hope this helps even a little bit.

Cheers,

Hels
Thanks thats worth knowing Hubby has his City and Guilds not sure what he wants to do but need to check out all options Chris
Old Nov 14th 2004, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

taylors244 will become famous soon enoughtaylors244 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hubby is a fully skilled motor mechanic we are looking for some advice about him working once he gets there. Does he need to get his qualifications assessed to work, also he has not worked in this occupation for 4 years. Any advce anyone has very welcome, Chris

Hi Chris
not sure how he stands once you are out there.What sort of visa are you thinking of? If you are going on a skilled independant as we are it`s a totally different matter you will need your skills assessed and qualifications assessed by the TRA and still be working in the trade now.This is even before you apply for your visa.
Hope this helps a bit
keith
Old Nov 14th 2004, 5:27 pm
addicted members

Bigmo&co is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,
My other half has applied for 138 sponsored visa, TRA certificate sent and accepted but he has not been on the tools for a while. Although he still works within the mechanical environment. On the off chance we looked up some web sites of dealers and they have sites on job vacancies. He has since been in touch with one on a regular basis and managed to secure a job for when we do eventually get to Australia. So it might be worth your while to try also.

Cheers
Brian & Elaine
Old Nov 14th 2004, 5:50 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

I guess you know you have to have a tra assesment and if thats ok and you get a visa when you arrive you may have to do some tests like the plumber or spark to get a licence to work
Old Nov 14th 2004, 6:31 pm
addicted members

Hi,
Once Trades Recognition Certificate {TRA} is accepted and believe me after all the time we spent on it, it has to be 100%. We started off with one page listing what a mechanic does basically and by the time we were finished there were five pages. We used an agent, she kept on e.mailing us back with more info required and if we put etc at the end of a line it would come back telling us to write each thing we considered to be the etc. It was quite sole destroying stuff at one point. However unlike plumbers and electricians mechanics do not have to take a test to get a work permit.
A bit long winded sorry, but if you thought oh he"s just a mechanic think again. On paper it looks like a major degree

Hope it answers some of your Questions

Cheers

Brian & ELaine
Old Nov 14th 2004, 6:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
On what basis do you plan to apply for a visa?

He may be able to get a TRA assessment but without *recent* skilled work experience he won't qualify for skilled independent.

Recent skilled work experience for skilled ind does not have to be the same as the nominated occupation (normally) but does need to be in a SOL occupation.

If he doesn't qualify for skilled independent it may be necessary to look at other options, eg employer nomination.

Jeremy
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
On what basis do you plan to apply for a visa?

He may be able to get a TRA assessment but without *recent* skilled work experience he won't qualify for skilled independent.

Recent skilled work experience for skilled ind does not have to be the same as the nominated occupation (normally) but does need to be in a SOL occupation.

If he doesn't qualify for skilled independent it may be necessary to look at other options, eg employer nomination.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy we don't need the pointsas we are planning on going by means of a skilled independant visa with myself as main applicant my occ is a registered midwife so should be ok without counting his for migration purposes just want to ensure that he can work as a mechanic when/if we get there. Thanks Chris
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elaine morrison
Hi,
Once Trades Recognition Certificate {TRA} is accepted and believe me after all the time we spent on it, it has to be 100%. We started off with one page listing what a mechanic does basically and by the time we were finished there were five pages. We used an agent, she kept on e.mailing us back with more info required and if we put etc at the end of a line it would come back telling us to write each thing we considered to be the etc. It was quite sole destroying stuff at one point. However unlike plumbers and electricians mechanics do not have to take a test to get a work permit.
A bit long winded sorry, but if you thought oh he"s just a mechanic think again. On paper it looks like a major degree

Cheers

Brian & ELaine
Hi Brian and Elaine,
thankyou for all yourinfo e don't need to undertake skills assessment for immigration purposes as we should be ok on mine I am a Midwife which is on MODL. He would like to return to a garage once we get there. Chris
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pike
I guess you know you have to have a tra assesment and if thats ok and you get a visa when you arrive you may have to do some tests like the plumber or spark to get a licence to work
Thank you Pike I think you are right its just a matter of what you have to do before you leave Uk for Oz Chris
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:16 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Cheers

Brian & ELaine
Elaine i was'nt just thinking he's just a machanic a very sad thought i was thinking another trades man for your information a plumber/gas fitter has to take goverment assesments every five year to prove compitant and electritions simmilar because they are high class trades on any list and if you look into there script you would relise . ps I am not predudice on any trade ,colour or nationality
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pike
Elaine i was'nt just thinking he's just a machanic a very sad thought i was thinking another trades man for your information a plumber/gas fitter has to take goverment assesments every five year to prove compitant and electritions simmilar because they are high class trades on any list and if you look into there script you would relise . ps I am not predudice on any trade ,colour or nationality
must say it looks like Elaine and Brian have had a job on there hands pleased we are applying with my midwifery its much easier from the sound of it! Chris
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:40 pm
addicted members

Hi
It was not anything anyone sais regarding he is only a "mechanic" it was us that thought that when writing down all the info for the TRA. When questions are returned to you on a form like __SPANNERS__ What kind of spanner what size metric or imperial. This is the kind of thing I meant by he is only a mechanic does it matter what kind or size........ I shall have to watch my Ps & Qs from now on as I dont want ot offend anyone

Brian & Elaine
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi
It was not anything anyone sais regarding he is only a "mechanic" it was us that thought that when writing down all the info for the TRA. When questions are returned to you on a form like __SPANNERS__ What kind of spanner what size metric or imperial. This is the kind of thing I meant by he is only a mechanic does it matter what kind or size........ I shall have to watch my Ps & Qs from now on as I dont want ot offend anyone

Brian & Elaine
sounds very complicated Elaine thinking I am lucy my assessment looks easy!!! let you know if its not. I wasn't offended, appreciate anyones help in here. We aren't thinking of using an agent, really need to use funds carefully although its probably a sound investment. Thanks again good luck Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.