Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP Needed - Marriage difficulties

HELP Needed - Marriage difficulties

Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:25 am
Just Joined

colin_z1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP Needed - Marriage difficulties

Hi everybody...I hope someone knows the answer to this!!

I applied under the Skilled Independent Visa category as the main applicant and used my wifes basic skills and positive vetassess assessment to qualify for 5 bonus points needed to reach our points requirement to secure our visas. We have been married for 5 years prior to the application and have always lived in the UK.
Our PR Visas have now been issued and we have recently flown to Austrlia activated them. However, my wife is now having second thoughts about leaving her family in the UK where as I have no reservations at all. If I move to Australia in the next couple of months and my wife eventually decides she does not want to come will my Visa be cancelled?...or can I still become a Citizen on my own merit?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:31 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: HELP Needed - Marriage difficulties

Originally posted by colin_z1
Hi everybody...I hope someone knows the answer to this!!

I applied under the Skilled Independent Visa category as the main applicant and used my wifes basic skills and positive vetassess assessment to qualify for 5 bonus points needed to reach our points requirement to secure our visas. We have been married for 5 years prior to the application and have always lived in the UK.
Our PR Visas have now been issued and we have recently flown to Austrlia activated them. However, my wife is now having second thoughts about leaving her family in the UK where as I have no reservations at all. If I move to Australia in the next couple of months and my wife eventually decides she does not want to come will my Visa be cancelled?...or can I still become a Citizen on my own merit?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you.
Do you have an "Unrestricted Permanent Resident visa" in your passport ?

Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:32 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe one for Alan Collett ........go matilda!

all the best plum
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:57 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

colin,
i am in a possibly similar situation and have looked into this extensively. the rules state that if you applied from overseas and have a visa, once it has been validated, you do not need to inform DIMIA of any change in circumstances.

This means that you can go it alone without worrying about whether you visa will be taken off you.

DIMIA are fully aware that family situations change and therefore, once you have the stamp on your visa, you are free to go your separate ways.

Hope it doesn't come to that though...
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:04 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, how spooky is this??
Im in a similar boat to you......decided to make the move altho application not in, but dont know if I can live another minute with my partner never mind another year til we get visa!!!
Had wondered.....and now I know!!!!!

cheers guys....

sue
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:17 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I think this only applies if it is a PERMANENT visa. If its a temporary one then you need to inform DIMIA, so that they can contact you at the end of the two years and transfer your visa to the permanent one. If your circumstances change then DIMIA take that into account before deciding whether they issue the permanent visa. They do take the fact that family circumstances change/breakdown into account and as long as you show you have established permanent links to Australia you are still likely to get the perm.visa at the end of 2 years
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:37 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
I think this only applies if it is a PERMANENT visa.
good point! i only know about permanent visas (skilled independent), but have really researched this point. it means both me and my partner don't have to feel guilty about changes in plan or intentions when the times comes...